This AutoCAD course covers the core aspects of creating drawings using AutoCAD, it is taught predominantly using the 2D interface but looks at 3D modelling in the later stages. Students taking this course come from a wide variety of industries including engineering, architecture, exhibition and events, construction, and product design.
The course is taught through demonstrations and specific AutoCAD drawing tasks designed to embed skills and knowledge. The course covers:
- AutoCAD user interface
- Drawing and modification toolsUsing and creating blocks
- Creating and using templates
- Working in ModelSpace and PaperSpace
- Using layers
- Editing line styles and properties
- Text, dimensions and hatching – using annotative scale
- Working with and using Xreference drawings
- Plotting and publishing
- Introduction to drawing in 3D
After enrolment students can use their City email account* to register and download the Student version of AutoCAD for free. For information about system requirements please see the Autodesk website. (* IT account instructions are sent in joining instructions email in due course after payment)
The teaching is done on a PC but is compatible with Autocad on a Mac.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Operate the user interface
- Complete exercises using AutoCAD tools
- Produce and edit 2D scale drawings using layers and other tools
- Plot out drawings to scale and other requirements.
Who is it for?
This course has been designed for those who want to learn how to create drawings in AutoCAD. Students taking this course come from a wide variety of industries including, engineering, architecture, landscape architecture, construction, electronics and product design.
Find out more about our Computer science and computing at City, University of London courses
This computing short course takes place on a weekday evening over ten weeks.
City Short Courses follow the academic year, delivering courses over three terms. These include:
- Autumn - October
- Spring - January
- Summer - April
AutoCAD is the most widely used computer-aided design software for producing architectural, engineering and construction drawings. Learn the skills essential across a wide range of industries.