An introduction to the essential knowledge and skills needed to enhance care provision by Health Care Support Workers (HCSWs). This course is also suitable as an update.
No starting dates
Starting date to be confirmed
- Duration: 1 day (unconfirmed)
- Fees: £200 (unconfirmed)
- Location: Northampton Square (unconfirmed)
- Course code: CS6050
Essential Skills for Health Care Support Workers in Primary Care Course overview
This study day ensures that you are up to date in understanding the skills that HCSWs who work in primary care may need. It will enhance the care you are able to deliver by ensuring that your skills and knowledge are maintained and developed.
It will enable clinical skills progression and allow HCSWs to move on to other programmes of education if desired.
Who is it for?
This skills for health care is designed for staff working as HCSWs in primary care.
This skills for health care runs over one full day.
This course is worth 8 CPD hours. As well as the opportunity for learning, you will be able to network with other HCSWs in attendance.
What will I learn?
The course will cover the following topics:
- accountability, the HCSW Code of Conduct and the Care Certificate
- patient Health Checks – understanding and interpreting:
- past medical history and family history
- height, weight and BMI
- the alcohol screening test
- recording and interpreting clinical observations:
- blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate, oxygen saturation, temperature, urinalysis, blood sugar & cholesterol
- 24 hour BP recording
- peak flow readings and inhaler technique
- an overview of acute and chronic wounds:
- wound healing and wound infection
- the principles of wound cleansing and wound dressings
- the assessment and management of chronic wounds:
- leg ulcers
- pressure ulcers
- diabetic foot ulcers
- fungating wounds
- an overview of acute wounds:
- surgical wounds
- traumatic wounds
- wound care workshop:
- removal of sutures and staples, and application of steristrips
Assessment and certificates
This course is taught through lectures, group discussion and a practical workshop.
There is no formal assessment for the delegates on this day, but the day will be evaluated, and your comments will be received with thanks.
The day is worth 8 CPD hours and you will receive a certificate of attendance.
Course Requirements include:
- participants must be staff working as Health Care Support Workers in primary care.
You will need a good level of spoken and written English to enrol on this course.