1. Postgraduate applicants to City, University of London
  2. Organising your visa

Organising your visa

International students

In order to register for any course at City, University of London students must provide evidence of an immigration status permitting them to study in the UK.

International applicants who will study a full-time course for six months or more at City will need to apply for a Student Visa. It is important you read the online guidance carefully in order to start to prepare for this. From January 2021 students from European Economic Area / Switzerland will also require a Student Visa if they intent to enter the UK after the 31st December 2020.

Please note: if you hold a Tier 4/ Student Visa sponsored by a different institution or for a different course at City, University of London, you will have to make a new visa application before you will be able to complete your registration and start studying with us. If you have undertaken previous study in the UK under a Tier 4/ Student Visa which you have not previously informed us of, may affect your eligibility for a Student Visa and therefore you should contact us immediately with further information.

City has a team of International Student Advisers who can help with the Student Visa application process. You can also read more about visa and immigration guidance here.

I am based outside the UK and I need a Student Visa to study at City but I am not sure I will be able to get to London.

The Home Office updated their guidance to institutions on 16th June 2020 with a concession for the 2020/21 academic year. The concession will allow you and us more flexibility in terms of how and when we issue you a visa.

There is a number of options for most courses, including starting your course at City online in the expectation that you could transition to face-to-face teaching from January 2021 or as soon as it is safe for you to do so. Please contact the school directly to confirm the arrangements for your specific course.

If you are based outside the UK, and wish to commence your study online, you would not require a Student Visa. In advance of arriving in the UK, you would need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) and to make a visa application as normal. The International Student Advice Team is available to support you and advise you on your visa application process throughout the whole year.

I woud like to come study in person at City in January.

If you are sponsored for a CAS for January 2021 start, please note that you might be asked to quarantine when you enter the UK in January. The UK Government introduced a 14 day ‘quarantine’ period for everyone entering the UK from overseas from 8th June 2020 with a small number of exceptions, including those travelling from Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

These measures will be reviewed every three weeks but we do not know how long they will be in place. This means we need to prepare for the possibility that ‘quarantine’ measures will be in place when you begin your studies. If still in place in January, you will be able to self-isolate either in your Halls of Residence or in your own private accommodation.

I am based in the UK and I would need a Student Visa to study at City.

You should apply for a visa in the usual way. We will start issuing CASs from end of July and you will receive all the necessary information via email in a due course.  Please check our webpages for more information on visa application process.

If I start my course in January but my first semester will be taught online, can I still apply for Graduate Route Scheme in 2021?

The Home Office have confirmed that you will be eligible to apply if you start the course online ‘if [they] …enter the UK before 6th April 2021 and complete the final semester of [their] studies in the UK.’ You can find the latest information on our immigration news page.

EU students

Students arriving in the UK after 31st December 2020 for courses starting in 2021 will have to apply for a visa to study in the UK. EU students starting university in 2020/21 academic year (including January 2021 intake) will have guaranteed home fee status and can access financial support for the duration of courses in England. Read the latest government statement on fee status for EU students.

EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals will no longer be eligible for home fee status, undergraduate, postgraduate and advanced learner financial support from Student Finance England for courses starting in the academic year 2021/22. You can find out more information on the Government website.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the International Visa Advice team.

Visa Guidance Online events

The International Visa Advice team be hosting a series of online events to advise you on immigration and visa matters and answer any questions you may have about applying for a Student Visa.