1. Postgraduate applicants to City, University of London
  2. MA Journalism courses - Frequently Asked Questions

MA Journalism courses - Frequently Asked Questions

We've complied a list of answers to specific questions that are commonly asked to our programme office:

What are the minimum entry requirements?

Minimum entry requirement differ between the MA Journalism programmes but generally, we ask for an Undergraduate Degree (or equivalent) of a 2:1 standard or above. Each programme also requires a certain amount of Journalism work experience. Specific requirements can be found on each webpage.

Special consideration will be given to mature applicants who do not meet the academic requirements but have a significant amount of relevant work experience.

What are the minimum English language requirements?

MA Journalism only accepts IELTS and no other English proficiency tests.

You must get a minimum overall score of 7.0 in the IELTS English language test, including at least 7.0 in the writing component of the test and no lower than 6.5 in any other component.

I don't meet the minimum language requirements, what can I do?

If you do not qualify for direct entry, our partner INTO City, University of London offers an academic preparation programme - the Graduate Diploma in Business, Law and Social Science. The course offers a route to City, University of London through an excellent teaching and learning experience, located in purpose built study facilities. Successful completion of the Graduate Diploma at INTO City University London to the standard required provides guaranteed progression to this Master’s degree.

When will I be asked to pay my tuition fees?

You are required to pay your fees in full on your first day of registration as a student at City, in September. The University also accepts payment of fees in two instalments, where you pay 50% of the course fee at registration and the remaining 50% at the end of the following January.

If you wish to pay your fees in advance of starting the course please have a look at our Accepted Payment Methods in order to make a secure fees payment ahead of your start date.

I am a sponsored student, how does my sponsor pay the tuition fees?

If your fees will be paid by a sponsor, either ask them to provide a cheque payable to City, University of London or provide a completed Sponsorship form (SP1), so that we can send them an invoice for your fees. Further information on the process for sponsored students can also be found on the university’s finance website.

When, where and how should I apply for my Tier 4 Visa?

Applying for a Tier 4 Student visa should be fairly straightforward as long as you prepare carefully: We can only offer visa sponsorship to unconditional offer holders. Once you’ve received the unconditional offer please make sure to confirm your place by paying the deposit fee. Once this has been received the School will be able to issue and send you a CAS statement to help with your Visa application.

Our International Student Advice Team offers a step-by-step guidance to help you through the henceforth visa process here.

Do you offer scholarships to your students?

Each MA Journalism programme offers different scholarships and bursaries. Please see the relevant course webpage for further information.

Is student accommodation provided by the university?

The university offers rooms in university-owned accommodation for postgraduate students on a first-come, first-served basis, according to the date of your housing application. An application for housing can be submitted as soon as you have received an offer of a place on a course at City, University of London - regardless of if it is a conditional or an unconditional offer. Further information on the available housing options and application process can be found here.

Do you offer a work placement as part of the degree?

You are encouraged to take part in work placements during your studies, mainly during University holidays around Christmas/Easter. Your Course Directors offer guidance on getting work placements. However, placements are not credited as part of your course (NB MA Broadcast/Television Journalism programmes are ONLY credited by the BCTJ if work placements are undertaken).

MA Television Journalism undertake placements every Wednesday during Term 1 and 2.

How long does the program take? Can I complete a part time degree while I continue working?

Our MA Journalism programmes are Full Time. You need to be available Monday – Friday, from 9.00am – 5.00pm with some occasional evening and weekend lectures. You will also be expected to complete coursework outside of contact hours.

Can I come and visit the campus before making a decision?

The student centre at City, University of London regularly hosts campus tours on Tuesdays at 11:00 and Thursdays at 14:00. These are led by current students and will give you the opportunity to look at a number of services for students we offer at City. Those tours normally last 90 minutes and can be booked in advance here.

When is your next Open Evening?

Open evening details are published on our postgraduate open evenings page . If you cannot attend on the scheduled date for any reason, please let us know and we will be happy to arrange a suitable appointment with the course director or other members of staff to answer your questions.

How do I make my offer Unconditional?

Please send through confirmation that you have met the original conditions of your offer to your Course Officer who sent you the original offer letter. We do not accept photos of degree transcripts.

When is Graduation?

Graduation will take place in January 2020.