Funding and financial support for Law applicants
We recognise that our students all have different financial circumstances, and planning how to fund both your tuition fees and your living expenses differs from person to person.
Our Funding and Financial support pages will give you details of the various options open to postgraduate students in funding their study. A number of forms of support are available:
- Our scholarships and bursaries finder lists various options open to all City students in funding their study.
- The government offers the Postgraduate Loan Scheme which may help in providing additional funds to pay for your studies.
- Private providers such as Future Finance can also offer a commercial loan to help cover either fees, living expenses or both
- Graduate Loyalty Discount: City graduates are entitled to a 10% discount off their tuition fees when undertaking postgraduate study at City
- Finally, a range of financial alternatives are available to fund your studies at City.
City, University of London has a dedicated Student Financial Support Team who can talk you through the various options available to you, and can provide resources to help you plan for living in London.
Scholarship scheme at The City Law School
The City Law School is firmly committed to a generous programme of scholarships awarded on the basis of academic excellence. Our scholarships range in value and include both partial and full fee waiver awards. They are open to students across all of our programmes and both home and international students are strongly encouraged to apply.
.The scholarship offer outlined below will apply to the following Postgraduate courses:
- Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL)
- Graduate Entry LLB (GE LLB)
- Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC)
- Legal Practice Course (LPC)
- Master of Laws (LLM) - excluding International Business Law distance learning
If you hold an offer of a place on the LLM in International Business Law programme, please refer to our scholarships page for this course.
The City Law School will offer up to 10 full fee scholarships and up to 100 partial fee scholarships for 2018/19. These will not be linked to any particular course and both UK/EU and International students are eligible to apply.
The partial fee scholarships will be worth £3,000 for all Postgraduate programmes listed above, with the exception of the BPTC where the partial fee scholarship will be worth £5,000.
- Academic merit (2:1 or 1st)
- You must hold an offer of a place on one of the courses specified above at The City Law School. The offer can be conditional or unconditional, and you do not need to have accepted your place in order to apply for scholarship.
If you intend to study on the BPTC at The City Law School, and hold a first class degree, we are offering a guaranteed minimum scholarship of £1,500 in the form of a fee waiver. You will still able to apply to 'upgrade' this automatic scholarship to a full or partial fee scholarship.
How to apply
There are two application rounds for postgraduate law scholarships:
- 23rd February 2018 (First round for all course accept the BPTC)
- 19th March 2018 (First round for BPTC)
- 15th June 2018 (Second round for all postgraduate programmes outlined above)
Important Information for GE LLB Applicants: Scholarship application is only available to those who hold an offer of a place on the GE LLB programme on the UCAS web portal.