Surangi NethsingheBSc (Hons)
Part of my degree at City included a placement, which allowed me to successfully completed a year within GlaxoSmithKline's Commercial IT department.
Why did you decide to do a placement while at City, University of London?
I planned to do a placement before I joined City. It was the reason I chose City. I wanted to be able to have a competitive edge by having a years industrial experience, once I graduated. I also thought it would be ideal way of getting the real work experience and applying those through out the course.
Where was your placement and what was your role?
Part of my university degree involved successfully completing a placement year and I worked for GlaxoSmithKline in the Commercial IT department. My main role involved:
- Delivering business solutions to carry out day to day operational functions
- Being involved in projects that focussed on sales thereby assisting the sales force in carrying out their field based activities
- Successfully managing two phases of a system to go live whilst the project manager was away, ensuring that all requirements were tested and the business was satisfied with the system functionality
- Performing a system update to ensure that the GSK's compliance policies and standards were met, following a tech refresh
- Giving presentations to colleagues that do not specialize certain aspects such as requirements gathering, on how to define system and business requirements, to help them understand the importance of a certain task
- Training other team members on Requirement Elicitation Techniques.
What has been the most important thing gained from your placement?
Networking and commercial awareness.
What did you do after graduating?
I landed a permanent job as an IT Business Analyst at a Software Firm in Sri Lanka.