Shengnan's thesis relates to lien clauses in charterparties from common and civil law perspectives.
PhD Thesis Title: Lien as a Security Device and Contractual Remedy in Charterparties: Common and Civil Law Perspectives
Shengnan's thesis relates to lien clauses in charterparties from common and civil law perspectives. Although the chartering standard forms have been widely employed in the shipping industry, a coherent understanding of the standard lien clause is far from certain. In particular, lien clauses have different connotations in the civil law and common law systems because of their different underlying philosophies. No comprehensive research concerning lien clauses under charterparties has been carried out so far. As a matter of fact, the lien clauses play a crucial plan in the shipping industry. For this reason, serious research on this subject is necessary from both the theoretical as well as the practical perspectives given that this is an area of maritime law that represents virtually uncharted waters.
- LL.B., Beijing Union University
- Master of Laws (LL.M. Civil Commercial Law), Graduate School, the Chinese Academy of Social Science. Thesis: Legal Research of Contract for the Benefit of Third Party
- Master of Laws (a Two-Year combined degree); Lund University, Sweden and World Maritime University, Malmo. Thesis (distinctive): Incorporation of Arbitration Clauses under a Charterparty and a Bill of Lading: English and Chinese Law Perspectives
- Internship, Beijing No.1 Intermediate People’s Court, China
- Assistant Notary, Beijing Fangyuan Notary Public Office, China ( Beijing No.1 Notary Public Office)
- Lawyer and Partner, Beijing Beidou Dingming Law Firm, China
- Lawyer and International Business Manager, Beijing Zhongrui Law Firm, China
Shengnan was a graduate teaching assistant in Contract Law during 2015-2016 academic year and in Land Law during 2016-2017 academic year.
- Member of All-China Bar Association
- Member of the Professional Committee of the Legal Affairs of Financial Derivatives of Beijing Municipal Lawyers Association (07/2009—07/2012)
- Member of Professional Committee of Maritime Law of Beijing Municipal Lawyers Association (07/2012—Present)
- Member of China Centre Maritime, Southampton Solent University (07/2015—Present)
Conference Presentations and Papers
- “Incorporation of Arbitration Clauses in a Charterparty and a Bill of Lading: Chinese Cases In perspective”, The Fourth Annual International Research Seminar in Maritime, Port and Transport Law, University of Bologna, July, 2015;
- “The Seemingly Unproblematic Notion of ‘Lien’ in Charterparties: in Common Law and Civil Law Countries”, The Seventh Annual Maritime Law and Policy Postgraduate Research Conference, London Universities Maritime Law and Policy Group (LUMLP), City University of London, 29, April, 2016;
- “Contractual Security Remedies in Charterparties: A Call For Harmonization Between Two Legal Systems”, Goldsmith Graduate Festival, Goldsmiths, University of London, 9, May 2016;
- “The Seemingly Unproblematic Notion of ‘Lien’ in Charterparties: in Common Law and Civil Law Countries”, Postgraduate Research Forum, City University London, 13, May 2016;
- “ Collision and Oil Pollution Liability: International and Chinese Perspectives”, The Fifth Annual International Research Seminar in Maritime, Port and Transport Law, University of Bologna, July, 2016;
- “ Lien as a Security Device and Contractual Remedy in Charterparties: Common and Civil Law Perspectives”, the 9th European Colloquium of Maritime Law Research (ECMLR), Bilbao, September, 2016.
- The Sixth Annual Maritime Law and Policy Postgraduate Research Conference, London Universities Maritime Law and Policy Group (LUMLP), City University of London, April 2015;
- “Current Issues in Freight Forwarding: Law and Logistics”, Edinburgh Centre for Commercial Law, University of Edinburgh, 3-4th September 2015;
- The Eleventh Annual International Colloquium on International Trade and Carriage of Goods: Emerging Issues and Legal Problems in Contemporary Practice”, Swansea University, 10-11th September 2015;
- The Sixteenth WTO Annual Conference, Geneva, 10 June 2016.
- “Incorporation of Charterparty Arbitration into Bills of Lading: Chinese Cases in Perspective” in New Challenges in Maritime Law, Massimiliano Musi (editor), Press: Bonomo Editore, Italy，Dec. 2015
- “Collision and Oil Pollution Liability: International and Chinese Perspectives” in Current Issues in Maritime and Transport Law ( 2), Stefano Zunazelli and Massimiliano Musi (editors), Press: Bonomo Editore, Italy, Oct. 2015
- Legal Issues Pertaining to Dormant Partner, Journal of Science & Times (Jan. 2006)
- Analysis on the handling of cases involving standard terms in the trial with regard to an agency agreement , Journal of Science & Times (May 2008)
Commercial Maritime Law, International Trade Law, Commercial Law, Company Law and International Investment Law