Dogan's research concerns the general legal principles regarding the awarding of damages in international investment arbitrations
PhD thesis title: Awarding of Damages in International Investment Arbitrations
School: The City Law School
Research Supervisors: Prof Jason Chuah and Dr David Collins
Dogan's research concerns the general legal principles regarding the awarding of damages in international investment arbitrations, concentrating particularly on the scope and extent of an arbitral tribunal's jurisdiction and authority to award damages in investment arbitrations, particularly whether when awarding damages to an investor the arbitral tribunal is entitled to award non-pecuniary injury (i.e. moral damages) and, if so, the conditions for doing so. The principles applied in the calculation of damages and how such methods are applied in practice will also be considered in the thesis.
Dogan graduated from the University of Westminster Faculty of Law in 2009 with First Class Honours and obtained his LLM from University College, London in 2010 in Commercial Law. He then completed the Bar Professional Training Course at BPP London in 2011 (with two scholarships from The Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn: The Sir Thomas More Bursary and Hardwicke Entrance Scholarship) and the Graduate Diploma in Turkish Law at Dokuz Eylul University in 2012. Dogan was admitted to the Bar of England & Wales in 2011 and the Istanbul Bar Association in 2013. Dogan currently serves as one of the Regional Representatives for Europe of the Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG) of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA).
Dogan's main areas of interest are international (commercial and investment) arbitration, civil procedure, commercial law and contract law. Dogan has co-authored several published articles on international commercial/investment arbitration and has been a featured speaker at conferences and seminars on the topic, including:
- Contributor, 'Arbitration Procedure', in Arbitration in Turkey, edited by A. Yesilirmak & İ.G. Esin. Alphen aan den Rijn: Kluwer Law International, 2015.
- Co-speaker, 'Fairness test in arbitration and an overview of international commercial arbitration', lecture given at Yeditepe University (Istanbul, April 2014).
- Co-author, 'The Turkish Court of Appeal Rules on the Arbitrability of Disputes Arising under a Company's Articles of Association'. IBA Arbitration News 19/1 (February 2014).
- Co-author, 'Turkey', in Global Attorney-Client Privilege Handbook, Baker & McKenzie, 2014.
- Co-author, 'Turkey', in Getting the Deal Through: Investment Treaty Arbitration in 20 Jurisdictions Worldwide 2014, edited by S. Jagusch & E. Triantafilou. London: Law Business Research, 2014.
- Co-author, 'Turkey', in Getting The Deal Through 2014: Arbitration in 49 Jurisdictions Worldwide, edited by G. Wegen & S. Wilske. London: Law Business Research, 2014.
- Co-author, 'Turkey', in The Baker & McKenzie International Arbitration Yearbook 2013-2014, edited by L. Williams. New York: JurisNet LLC, 2014.
- Co-author, 'Turkey', in Arbitration of M&A Transactions: A Practical Global Guide, edited by E. Poulton. London: Globe Business Publishing, 2014.
- Co-author, 'Awards Subject to Turkey's International Arbitration Law Must Be Rendered before the Expiration of Applicable Time Limits or Risk Being Set Aside'. IBA Arbitration News 18/1 (February 2013).
- Speaker, 'Arbitration in Turkey and the Wider Region', lecture given at the 9th European Law Students' Association (ELSA) - Istanbul Law School M&A Event (Istanbul, July 2013).
- Co-speaker, 'An Introduction to International Commercial Arbitration - Once The Arbitral Proceedings Are Over', lecture given at the LCIA YIAG Training Seminar (Istanbul, June 2013).