- +44 (0)20 7040 5060
Veronica is interested in complicated cases in family law sphere. In her thesis she investigates the possible causes of liberalism in Russian surrogacy legislation. She looks into the media influence, Strasbourg court and social westernisation as potential candidates.
Veronica is also interested in divorce law and other matrimonial issues following the breakdown of the marriage - child arrangements and financial provisions. She has published in the area of EU law, touching upon human rights and reviewed family law textbooks.
Veronica is a PhD Candidate at City Law School supervised by Dr Carmen Draghici and Professor Andrew Choo. She has completed a Diploma in Social Sciences (2010) and LLB at King's College London (2014) as well as LLM at University College London (UCL) (2015) for which she was awarded a distinction. She attended a Summer Course in EU law at King's College London which she also finished with first class. Veronica holds professional qualifications: the LPC from BPP (2016) and the Introductory certificate in Academic Practice from City (2018). She received Associate Fellowship from the Higher Education Authority and is on the route for obtaining the Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice from City.
Veronica is an Associate Teaching Fellow at City. She has taught extensively at the LLB programme. Her teaching experience includes Administrative law tutorials and the English Legal System workshops (LLB year 1), EU law (LLB year 2) and Family and Child law (LLB year 3). She has also contributed to marking and examinations. In 2019 Veronica was appointed as a Visiting Lecturer in EU Law at the University of Hertfordshire Law School.
Currently Veronica is a Research Associate at City Law School. She has assisted on various Brexit-related projects and projects on online platforms. She is also a City Law School PhD Representative on the Board of Studies for the Learning, Enhancement and Development department.
Veronica is a certified advanced researcher of LexisNexis and Westlaw UK libraries.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice, City, University London, United Kingdom, Aug 2020
- Introductory Certificate in Academic Practice, City, University of London, United Kingdom, Oct 2017 – May 2018
- PhD Candidate, City, University of London, United Kingdom, Jan 2017
- Legal Practice Course, BPP University, United Kingdom, Jan 2016 – Sep 2017
- LL.M Master of Laws, University College London, United Kingdom, Sep 2014 – Sep 2015
- LL.B Bachelor of Laws, King's College London, University of London, United Kingdom, Sep 2011 – Jul 2014
- A Certificate in Social Sciences (Law pathway), King's College London, United Kingdom, Sep 2010 – Jul 2011
- Summer Course in the Law of the European Union, King's College London, United Kingdom, Jul – Aug 2014
- PhD Representative, Board of Studies, LEaD, City, University of London, Nov 2020 – present
- Research Associate, City, University of London, Dec 2019 – Jul 2020
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Hertfordshire, Oct 2019 – present
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, City, University of London, Feb 2018 – Apr 2020
- Fellow (EU, Administrative, Family Law and the English Legal System), City, University of London, Feb 2018 – Apr 2020
- Associate Teaching Fellow, City, University of London, Feb 2018 – present
Memberships of professional organisations
- Fellow, Higher Education Authority, Aug 2020 – present
- Member, UKAEL, Aug 2019 – present
- Associate Teaching Fellow, Higher Education Authority, May 2018 – present
- Member, Society For Legal Scholars, May 2018 – present
English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), French (can read, write, speak and understand spoken) and Russian (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).
- Europe - Central
- Europe - Eastern
- Shleina, V. (2020). Why we Need French-style Divorce for Lockdown Break-ups. The Conversation.
- Shleina, V. (2015). Opinion 2/13: Some Further Reflections.
- Shleina, V. (2014). The EU accession to the ECHR: is it needed?
- (2014). Written Evidence to the Political and Constitutional Reform Committee Inquiry on Voter Engagement in the UK. House of Commons: House of Commons: Political and Constitutional Reform Committee.
- Shleina, V., Fahey, E., Klonick, K., Menéndez González, N., Murray, A. and Tzanou, M. (2020). The Law of Facebook: Borders, Regulation and Global Social Media.
- Fahey, E., Mancini, I., Harrison, J., Suttle, O., Zelazna, E., Garcia, M. … Shleina, V. (2020). The EU as a Good Global Actor. London, UK: City Law School, City, University of London.
- Curtis, M., Smith, M., Parmar, I., Rees, W., Mai'a, K., Cross, D. … Shleina, V. (2020). Contemporary Issues in Transatlantic Relations. London, UK: City Law School, City, University of London.
- PhD Annual Law Forum. (Conference) City, University of London (2019).
Paper: Babies on the Market: A Comparative Analysis of Surrogacy Analysis in Russia and the UK
Author: Veronica Shleina
- Nordic Conference. (Conference) Stockholm, Sweden (2018).