- +44 (0)20 7040 5060
Pia obtained her LLB and LLM (Environmental Law) at the University of Cape Town. During her LLM, she participated in an exchange programme at the University of Maryland, USA. She is an admitted attorney in the Cape High Court, South Africa. She has practical experience in the areas of family law, commercial law, High Court and Magistrates Court litigation, and wills and estates. Her real passion, however, lies with environmental issues in the maritime industry and the promotion of international climate change goals. Her current research looks at both public and private environmental regulation of the maritime sector and aims to analyse policy and legal solutions for green shipping.
Internal Supervisor 1: Professor Jason Chuah
Internal Supervisor 2: Dr Steven Truxal
- LLM (Environmental Law), University of Cape Town, South Africa, Feb 2015 – Dec 2016
- LLB, University of Cape Town, South Africa, Feb 2011 – Dec 2014
- Introductory Certificate in Academic Practice, Learning Enhancement and Development, United Kingdom
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Hertfordshire, Oct 2019 – present
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, The City Law School, Sep 2018 – May 2022
- Candidate Attorney, Luitingh & Associates, Feb 2016 – Sep 2017
- City Law School Maritime Law Conference Dubai 2019. (Conference) Dubai (2019). Invited speaker.
Paper: Responding to Environmental Regulatory Challenges in the Shipping Sector
- Arab Women in Maritime Association Session at Seatrade ShipTech Middle East. (Seminar) Dubai (2019). Invited speaker.
Paper: Maritime Education: To What Extent Does Women Empowerment Benefit the Industry?
- The Tenth Annual Maritime Law and Policy Postgraduate Research Conference, 2019. (Conference) London (2019). Invited speaker.
Paper: What is “sustainable shipping” and what do the principles of “sustainable development” mandate in respect of environmental laws for shipping?