Andrea Maria Pelliconi
- +44 (0)20 7040 5060
Andrea's research focuses on demographic engineering and its social and human rights impact under international law. She graduated in Law at Bocconi University and holds an advanced Master in Human Rights from Sapienza University. Before joining City, Andrea practised as lawyer and worked internationally for law firms and INGOs. She specialises in human rights, migration and asylum law, humanitarian law and international criminal law.
- Advanced Master in International Protection of Human Rights, Sapienza University, Italy, Jan – Dec 2018
- Combined Bachelor and Master of Law, Bocconi University, Italy, Sep 2011 – Apr 2017
- Diploma in International Humanitarian Law, Geneva University, Switzerland
- GTA International Human Rights Law, City, University London, Jan – Apr 2021
- Research assistant (consultancy), Business & Human Rights Resource Centre, Nov 2020 – Apr 2021
- GTA LU2010 Foundations of EU Law (2020/21), City, University London, Sep 2020 – Jan 2021
- Guest Lecturer, Sapienza University, Apr – May 2019
- Candidate Lawyer, EPV Law Firm, Oct 2017 – Dec 2018
- Intern, Azmi & Associates, Jun – Aug 2017
- Intern, Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Sep – Nov 2015
- Visiting Lecturer, EU law, University of Hertfordshire, Dec 2020 – Aug 2021
- IBAHRI Legal Research Fellowship, International Bar Association's Human Rights Institute, Jan – May 2019
- ELSA - European Law Students Association and the Council of Europe (2018) Best essay in European migration law
- Geneva University Excellence Scholarship
Award of excellence for participation in the 2015 Summer School in International Humanitarian Law
English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), French, Italian (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), Portuguese and Spanish; Castilian.
- Pelliconi, A.M. (2020). Covid-19: Italy is not a “place of safety” anymore. Is the decision to close Italian ports compliant with human rights obligations? EJIL:Talk!.
- Pelliconi, A.M. and Goldoni, M. (2020). La banalità dei porti chiusi per decreto. Osservazioni sui profili di legittimità del decreto interministeriale 150/2020. Diritto, Immigrazione e Cittadinanza, 2/2020, pp. 218–231.
- Pelliconi, A. (2019). From Internal to Extra-Territorial Administrative Detention of Migrants. Federalismi.it - Focus Human Rights, 1(2019).
- Pelliconi, A.M., Odermatt, J. and Wessel, R.A. (2020). The European Union’s External Action and International Law: A View From the Outside. London, UK: The City Law School.
- Pelliconi, A.M. (2020). Migrants at Sea and the implications of the “duty
to rescue”: human rights perspectives in the light of the Italian case-law. Il Diritto Marittimo, 3/2020, pp. 621–638.
- Pelliconi, A. (2018). Comment to the sentence of the European Court of Human Rights, Grand Chamber, G.I.E.M. S.R.L. and others v. Italy (Rec. NN. 1828/06, 34163/07 E 19029/11). Giustizia - Rivista della Scuola Forense V. E. Orlando.
- Pelliconi, A. (2018). La pornografia minorile nella sfera privata e il reato di pedopornografia virtuale. Considerazioni critiche alla luce di Cass. Pen., Sez. III, Sent. N. 22265/2017. Giustizia - Rivista della Scuola Forense V. E. Orlando.
- Galassini D'Elia, S.A., Pelliconi, A., Mele, C., De Gregorio, F.S., Gallotti, G., Passaniti, G. … Biondi, V. (2018). How have the recommendations of the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance and of national human rights bodies concerning the integration of migrants been implemented by Italy? ELSA - European Law Students Association.
- Business & Human Rights Resource Centre (Charity) (Nov 2020 – Apr 2021)
- Surrey Law Postgraduate Conference 2020 "The Role of Law in Challenging Times". (Conference) (2020). Panel Member.
Paper: Demographic engineering: the need for a human rights-based assessment
Author: Andrea Maria Pelliconi
- SLS Graduate Conference 2020. (Conference) (2020). Panel Member.
Paper: Demographic engineering, a “soft version” of ethnic cleansing. Comparing these practices under international law