Dr Vladimir Stankovic
Vladimir holds PhD (2008) and BEng Honours (2003) degrees in Software Engineering and Computing, respectively, from the City University London.
Initially, he was employed as a Research Assistant in CSR working on the DOTS project and contributing to the DIRC project. Subsequently, he was appointed as a Research Associate, Security and Forensic Evaluation of ICT systems, and has been contributing since to the centre's ongoing initiative in dependability and security assessment of computer-based systems. During this appointment he obtained the Ph.D on the topic of design, and performance evaluation, of diverse database replication protocols. He was appointed to a permanent academic post in CSR in January 2009, first as a Research Fellow and subsequently as a Lecturer in March 2013.
Recently, he was the PI for the EPSRC-funded DIDERO-PC project, and contributed to the SESAMO and AFTER projects (sponsored by the ARTEMIS Embedded Computing Systems Initiative and EU FP7, respectively).
His research work, mostly on design and evaluation of (diverse) database replication protocols, as well as dependability and security assessment of software-based systems, contributes to the department's broad research areas of Software and Systems Engineering.
PhD Software Engineering, City University London, 2008
BEng Computing, City University London, 2003
03/2013 - to date City University London, Lecturer
01/2009 - 02/2013 City University London, Research Fellow
08/2005 - 12/2008 City University London, Research Associate
06/2003 - 07/2005 City University London, Research Assistant
09/2004 - 05/2012 City University London, Visiting Lecturer/Tutor
Vladimir has been contributing to the university's enterprise activities since 2009.
A patent on the topic of improvements to database replication was granted in the EU (patent number EP2470994), and in the USA (USPTO patent number 8793216). The patent was co-invented with Dr Peter Popov, a colleague from the CSR.
The university spin-off company – ResilSoft Ltd (registration number 08198880) – has been incorporated. Two CSR colleagues, Dr Peter Popov and Dr Ilir Gashi, and Vladimir are the executive directors in the company.
ResilSoft Ltd collaborate closely with the university’s Research and Enterprise team (e.g. a non-executive director of the company has been appointed by the university) to take this commercialisation initiative to next level.
Membership of professional bodies
Higher Education Academy, Fellow
- Dependability and security assessment of computer-based systems
- Software fault tolerance and diverse redundancy
- Distributed systems algorithms and database replication protocols
- Concurrent and parallel computing
- AQUAS: Aggregated Quality Assurance for Systems
- DIDERO-PC: DIverse DatabasE ReplicatiOn - Performance Comparison - The project was funded by the EPSRC First Grant Scheme, and Vladimir was the PI.
- SESAMO: Security and Safety Modelling
- AFTER: A Framework for electrical power sysTems vulnerability identification, dEfence and Restoration
- PIA:FARA: Probabilistic Interdependency Analysis: Framework, data Analysis and on-line Risk Assessment
- AMBER: Assessing, Measuring, and BEnchmarking Resilience
- IRRIIS: Integrated Risk Reduction of Information-based Infrastructure Systems
- ReSIST: Resilience for Survivability in IST
- DIRC: Diversity - IRC
- DOTS: Diversity with Off-The-Shelf components
Mr Konstantin Pozdniakov
Attendance: Feb 2013 – present
Thesis title: Computer Security Penetration Testing Based on Machine Learning Techniques
Further information: The PhD is co-supervised with Dr Eduardo Alonso. Vladimir is the Second Supervisor.
- Popov, P., Salako, K.O. and Stankovic, V. (2015). Stochastic modeling for performance evaluation of database replication protocols. 12th International Conference on Quantitative Evaluation of Systems 1-3 September, Madrid, Spain.
- (2014). Software diversity as a measure for reducing development risk.
- Gashi, I., Sobesto, B., Mason, S., Stankovic, V. and Cukier, M. (2013). A Study of the Relationship Between Antivirus Regressions and Label Changes. IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering 4-7 November, Pasadena, CA, US.
- Cukier, M., Gashi, I., Sobesto, B. and Stankovic, V. (2013). Does Malware Detection Improve With Diverse AntiVirus Products? An Empirical Study. 32nd International Conference on Computer Safety, Reliability and Security (SAFECOMP) 24-27 September, Toulouse, France.
- Popov, P., Stankovic, V. and Strigini, L. (2012). An Empirical Study of the Effectiveness of 'Forcing Diversity' Based on a Large Population of Diverse Programs. ISSRE 2012, International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering 27-30 November, Dallas, Texas, USA.
- Gashi, I., Stankovic, V., Cukier, M. and Sobesto, B. (2012). Diversity with AntiVirus Products: Additional Empirical Studies. 42nd IEEE International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN) 2012 25-28 June, Boston, USA.
- Bishop, P., Bloomfield, R., Gashi, I. and Stankovic, V. (2012). Diverse protection systems for improving
security: a study with AntiVirus engines.
- Stankovic, V., Bloomfield, R., Bishop, P. and Gashi, I. (2011). Diversity for Security: a Study with Off-The-Shelf AntiVirus Engines. 21st International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE 2011) Hiroshima, Japan.
- Gashi, I., Stankovic, V., Leita, C. and Thonnard, O. (2009). An Experimental Study of Diversity with Off-The-Shelf AntiVirus Engines. Eighth IEEE International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications (NCA 2009) 9-11 July.
- Stankovic, V., Bessani, A., Daidone, A., Gashi, I., Obelheiro, R. and Sousa, P. (2009). Enhancing Fault / Intrusion Tolerance through Design and Configuration Diversity. 3rd Workshop on Recent Advances on Intrusion-Tolerant Systems (WRAITS 2009) Estoril, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Bloomfield, R.E., Gashi, I., Povyakalo, A. and Stankovic, V. (2008). Comparison of Empirical Data from Two Honeynets and a Distributed Honeypot Network. 19th International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE 2008) 10-14 November, Seattle, USA.
- Stankovic, V., Lin, S., Pareaud, T., Robert, T. and Zutautaite-Seputiene, I. (2008). Toward Adaptable Software Architecture for Dependability: ASAP. 7th European Dependable Computing Conference (EDCC 2008).
- Stankovic, V., Alata, E., Leita, C., Serafini, M., Thonnard, O., Viniikka, J. … Zurutuza, U. (2008). Malicious Fault Characterization Exploiting Honeypot Data. 7th European Dependable Computing Conference (EDCC 2008).
- Bessani, A.N., Reiser, H.P., Sousa, P., Gashi, I., Stankovic, V., Distler, T. … Obelheiro, R.R. (2008). FOREVER: Fault/intrusiOn REmoVal through Evolution & Recovery.
- Stankovic, V. and Popov, P. (2006). Improving DBMS performance through diverse redundancy. 25th IEEE Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS 2006).
- (2017). Preliminary interdependency analysis: An approach to support critical-infrastructure risk-assessment. Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 167, pp. 198–217. doi:10.1016/j.ress.2017.05.030.
- Gashi, I., Popov, P.T. and Stankovic, V. (2009). Uncertainty explicit assessment of off-the-shelf software: A Bayesian approach. Information & Software Technology, 51, pp. 497–511.
- Gashi, I., Popov, P.T., Stankovic, V. and Strigini, L. (2003). On Designing Dependable Services with Diverse Off-the-Shelf SQL Servers. WADS, 3069, pp. 191–214.
- Stankovic, V. and Popov, P. (2012). Improvements Relating to Database Replication Protocols. Patent no. EP2470994
- Popov, P. and Stankovic, V. (2012). Database replication. Patent no. 8793216
- Stankovic, V., Chozos, N., Popov, P.T., Bloomfield, R.E., Wright, D. and Howell-Morris, R. (2010). Preliminary Interdependency Analysis (PIA): Method and tool support. London: Adelard LLP and City University London.
- Stankovic, V. and Strigini, L. (2009). A survey on online monitoring approaches of computer-based systems..
- Stankovic, V. and Popov, P. (2016). TPC-C Client - Java-based implementation of the industry standard benchmark for database performance evaluation. London.
- Salako, K., Stankovic, V. and Popov, P. (2015). Stochastic model for performance evaluation of database replication protocols..
Team Project (Part 2)
Advanced Databases (Part 3)
Assisted in delivery of IT Security (Part 3)
Advanced Database Technologies
With colleagues from CSR, Vladimir co-designed and co-delivered a course on Digital Forensics.
Software tools for teaching
- Vladimir has served as a Program Committee member for the following reputable conferences and workshops:
- IEEE/ACM International Conference on Automated Software Engineering (ASE) 2016.
- IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE) 2015.
- IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE) - Fast Abstract stream in 2011, 2013 and 2014, and Student stream in 2010.
- European Dependable Computing Conference (EDCC): Fast Abstract stream in 2015, and Student papers forum in 2012.
- International Workshop in Recent Advances in the Dependability AssessmeNt of Complex systEms (RADIANCE) in 2016
Vladimir has served as a Reviewer for the following premier journals and conferences:
- IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (TDSC) journal
- IEEE Security & Privacy journal
- International Journal of Neural Systems
- International Journal of High Performance Computing and Networking (IJHPCN).
- IEEE/ACM International Conference on Automated Software Engineering (ASE)
- IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE)
- IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Distributed Systems and Networks (DSN)
- European Dependable Computing Conference (EDCC)
- International Conference on Computer Safety, Reliability and Security (SAFECOMP),
- International Workshop on Quantitative Aspects in Security Assurance (QASA) workshop.
- ACM SIGCHI Symposium on Engineering Interactive Computing Systems (EICS 2015), Program Committee (PC) member and Reviewer.
- Stochastic modeling for performance evaluation of database replication. Madrid, Spain (2015). The talk described the research behind the publication at the 12th International Conference on Quantitative Evaluation of SysTems (QEST 2015).