Dr Victoria Serra-Sastre
- Dr Victoria Serra-Sastre
- +44 (0)20 7040 0171
Dr Serra-Sastre holds a degree in Economics from Universitat Pompeu Fabra and a PhD from the London School of Economics and Political Science. She collaborates with LSE Health, doing research on diffusion of medical technologies and has contributed to several publications on this topic.
She has worked for the Department of General Practice and Primary Care at King's College London on the evaluation of technology implementation.
She has also contributed to the elaboration of a number of reports for public organisations in the modelling of programme intervention in health and social care services.
- PhD Health Economics, London School of Economics and Political Science, United Kingdom
- MSc Economics, University College London, United Kingdom
- MSc Public Finance and Economic Analysis, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales, Spain
- BSc Economics, Pompeu Fabra University, Spain
Dr Serra-Sastre's research is focused on the identification of the determinants of the uptake of new medicines and the diffusion of surgical procedures. In particular, she is examining the relationship between information and technology diffusion as well as the impact on diffusion of economic and organisational factors.
- McGuire, A., Serra-Sastre, V. and Raikou, M. (2012). How are rising health care expenditures explained? In McGuire, A. and Costa-font, J. (Eds.), The Lse Companion to Health Policy UK: Edward Elgar. ISBN 978-1-78100-423-4.
- Serra-Sastre, V. and McGuire, A. (2012). Technology diffusion in health care: conceptual aspects and evidence. In McGuire, A. and Costa-font, J. (Eds.), The Lse Companion to Health Policy UK: Edward Elgar. ISBN 978-1-78100-423-4.
- Serra-Sastre, V. and McGuire, A. (2012). Technology diffusion and substitution of medical innovations. In Bolin, K. and Kaestner, R. (Eds.), The Economics of Medical Technology Emerald Group Publishing. ISBN 978-1-78190-129-8.
- McGuire, A. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2009). What do we know about the role of health care technology in driving health care expenditure growth? In Costa-Font, J., Courbage, C. and McGuire, A. (Eds.), The Economics of New Health Technologies Oxford University Press, USA. ISBN 978-0-19-955068-5.
- Serra-Sastre, V. and McGuire, A. (2009). Diffusion of Health Technologies: evidence from the Pharmaceutical Sector. In Costa-Font, J., Courbage, C. and McGuire, A. (Eds.), The Economics of New Health Technologies Oxford University Press, USA. ISBN 978-0-19-955068-5.
- Gemmill, M., Serra-Sastre, V. and Costa-Font, J. (2009). Health Insurance and the Uptake of New Drugs in the United States. In Costa-Font, J., Courbage, C. and McGuire, A. (Eds.), The Economics of New Health Technologies Oxford University Press, USA. ISBN 978-0-19-955068-5.
- Camilleri, C., Jofre-Bonet, M. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2018). The suitability of a DRG casemix system in the Maltese hospital setting. Health Policy, 122(11), pp. 1183–1189. doi:10.1016/j.healthpol.2018.08.002.
- Jofre-Bonet, M., Serra-Sastre, V. and Vandoros, S. (2018). The impact of the Great Recession on health-related risk factors, behaviour and outcomes in England. Social Science and Medicine, 197, pp. 213–225. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2017.12.010.
- Cubí-Mollá, P., Jofre-Bonet, M. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2017). Adaptation to health states: Sick yet better off? Health Economics (United Kingdom), 26(12), pp. 1826–1843. doi:10.1002/hec.3509.
- Clarke, C.S., Hunter, R.M., Shemilt, I. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2017). Multi-arm Cost-Effectiveness Analysis (CEA) comparing different durations of adjuvant trastuzumab in early breast cancer, from the English NHS payer perspective. PLoS ONE, 12(3). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0172731.
- Serra-Sastre, V. and McGuire, A. (2013). Information and diffusion of new prescription drugs. Applied Economics, 45(15), pp. 2049–2057. doi:10.1080/00036846.2011.648321.
- Costa-Font, J., Mcguire, A. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2012). The "Weisbrod Quadrilemma" revisited: Insurance incentives on new health technologies. Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance: Issues and Practice, 37(4), pp. 678–695. doi:10.1057/gpp.2012.37.
- Serra-Sastre, V., Saka, O., Samyshkin, Y., McGuire, A.J. and Wolfe, C. (2008). Cost-effectiveness of stroke unit care followed by early supported discharge. Stroke (Journal of the American Heart Association).
- McGuire, A.J. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2005). The Cost of Care. Is There an Optimal Level of Expenditure? Harvard International Review, 27(1).
- Jofre-Bonet, M., Rossello-Roig, M. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2016). The Blow of Domestic Violence on Children's Health Outcomes. London, UK: Department of Economics, City University London.
- McGuire, A.J., Raikou, M., Windmeijer, F. and Serra-Sastre, V. Technology diffusion and health care productivity: angioplasty in the UK..
Dr Serra-Sastre teaches courses on quantitative methods, economic evaluation, and health economics.