- Valerie McMunn
- +44 (0)20 7040 5060
Valerie is a lecturer in contraception, sexual health and cytology. She joined City University London in 2010 working part time and maintains the skills and knowledge she teaches by continuing to work clinically. Val has worked previously as a lecturer at Anglia Ruskin University and Manchester University.
Val has had a very interesting career and has worked as a nurse within a hospital setting, a school nurse, a midwife within a hospital setting, as a community midwife and then worked in management, managing community services both in midwifery and contraception. Val finally worked within management as the Assistant Director of midwifery and gynaecology services at Southend Hospital.
Val completed her MSc in public health and her main interest of work was how alcohol impacts on young women's behaviour in relation to sexual health.
Val has always continued to study and completed her independent prescribing course in 2007 and a post graduate certificate in sexual health in 2012.
Val works weekly as a nurse in contraception/ sexual health and cytology clinics in several clinics in the Chelmsford and Southend area and gives care as follows:
- Val is a nurse prescriber and gives care to patients in the above specialities.
- Val is trained to fit and remove Implants and coils.
- Val is a cytology sample taker.
Post Graduate Certificate in sexual health, MSc and SRN, SCM, ADM, Cert in Education.
- Lecturer in contraception and sexual health, City University London, Jan 2010 – present
- Lecturer in midwifery, University of Manchester, Jul 2008 – Jan 2010
- Senior sexual health nurse bank, Provide, Dec 2005 – Dec 2016
- Lecturer in contraception and sexual health, Anglia Ruskin University, Dec 2000 – Jul 2008
- Senior sexual health nurse bank, SEPT, Nov 2000 – Dec 2016
- Assistant Director for Midwifery and Gynaecology, Southend Hospital, Oct 1996 – Dec 2010
Memberships of professional organisations
Val is interested in sexual health and is at present investigating the link with oral sex and transmission of sexually transmitted diseases.
- Sexual health
- McMunn, V.A., Bedwell, C., Neilson, J., Jones, A., Dowswell, T. and Lavender, T. (2009). A National Survey of the use of Transcutaneous Nerve Stimulation(TENS). British Journal of Midwifery, vol 17(8).
- McMunn, V.A. (2008). Effect of alcohol consumption on young women's behaviour. Nurs Stand, 23(10), pp. 35–41. doi:10.7748/ns2008.11.23.10.35.c6721.
- McMunn, V.A. and Caan, W. (2007). Chlamydia infection, alcohol and sexual behavior in women. British Journal of Midwifery, 15(4), pp. 221–224. doi:10.12968/bjom.2007.15.4.23387.
Modules taught on:
- NM3286 Contraception and sexual health - Theory.
- NM3287 Contraception and sexual health - Praxis.
- NMS082 An overview of Contraception and sexual health.
- Val also teaches on the Cytology update days and the midwifery course.
- The impact of alcohol on sexual behaviour in females age 16-24 in relation to Chlamydia infection. (2009).
Description: Dublin 9th international conference for nurses. Conference presentation.
- School and Public Health Nurses Association Annual Conference Birmingham. (2009). Presentation of alcohol research as a key note speaker.
- British Society of Dental Hygiene and therapy Annual Oral Health Symposium. Liverpool (2011). Key note speaker.
- British Society of Dental Hygiene and Therapy Annual Oral Health Conference. Birmingham (2013). Key note speaker.