Suzanne is a midwifery lecturer who joined City University London in 2013. She previously worked as a midwife at Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust.
Suzanne began her career as a mental health nurse. She then undertook a degree in Social Policy and a masters in Women's Studies which led to an interest in women's health issues. She undertook her midwifery training in Brighton and worked there in all areas of practice becoming the lead midwife for the antenatal clinic and day assessment unit. Following this, she was appointed lead research midwife for the NHS Trust. Her main area of interest is antenatal care and in particular midwifery care for women with high risk pregnancies. She is currently undertaking a PhD researching risk perception in high risk pregnancy.
- BSc Midwifery
- MA Women's Studies
- BA(hons) Social Policy
Senior personal tutor (midwifery)
Suzanne is working towards a PhD researching risk perception in high risk pregnancy. She is using qualitative and quantitative methods to examine how pregnant women, midwives and obstetricians perceive risk in pregnancy.
She is also part of a study investigating the use of expressive writing to promote health in women after birth.
- Maternity care
- Risk perception
2013-2015 National Institute for Health Research, Research for Patient Benefit. Using expressive writing interventions to promote health in women after birth. £225,188.
- Crawley, R., Ayers, S., Button, S., Thornton, A., Field, A., Lee, S. … Smith, H. (2016). Evaluating expressive writing to improve postpartum health. 18th Congress of the International Society for Psychosomatic Obstetrics & Gynaecology 12-14 May, Malaga.
- Thompson, S., Ayers, S., Crawley, R., Thornton, A., Eagle, A., Bradley, R. … Smith, H. (2015). Using expressive writing as an intervention to improve postnatal wellbeing.
- Lee, S. (2015). Risk perception and decision making in women with high risk pregnancies.
- Crawley, R., Ayers, S., Button, S., Thornton, A., Field, A.P., Lee, S. … Smith, H. (2018). Feasibility and acceptability of expressive writing with postpartum women: a randomised controlled trial. BMC pregnancy and childbirth, 18(1), p. 75. doi:10.1186/s12884-018-1703-7.
- Button, S., Thornton, A., Lee, S., Ayers, S. and Shakespeare, J. (2017). Seeking help for perinatal psychological distress: A meta-synthesis of women's experiences. British Journal of General Practice, 67(663). doi:10.3399/bjgp17X692549.
- Ford, E., Lee, S., Ayers, S. and Shakespeare, J. (2017). Diagnosis and management of perinatal depression and anxiety in general practice: A meta-synthesis of qualitative studies. British Journal of General Practice, 67(661). doi:10.3399/bjgp17X691889.
- Lee, S., Ayers, S. and Holden, D. (2016). Decision-making regarding place of birth in high-risk pregnancy: A qualitative study. Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics and Gynecology, 37(2), pp. 44–50. doi:10.3109/0167482X.2016.1151413.
- Lee, S., Holden, D. and Ayers, S. (2016). How women with high risk pregnancies use lay information when considering place of birth: A qualitative study. Women and Birth, 29(1). doi:10.1016/j.wombi.2015.07.010.
- Lee, S., Ayers, S. and Holden, D. (2015). How women with high risk pregnancies perceive interactions with healthcare professionals when discussing place of birth: A qualitative study. Midwifery, 38, pp. 42–48. doi:10.1016/j.midw.2016.03.009.
- Lee, S., Ayers, S. and Holden, D. (2015). Risk perception and choice of place of birth in women with high risk pregnancies: A qualitative study. Midwifery, 38, pp. 49–54. doi:10.1016/j.midw.2016.03.008.
- Lee, S. (2014). Risk perception in women with high-risk pregnancies. British Journal of Midwifery, 22(1), pp. 8–13. doi:10.12968/bjom.2014.22.1.8.
- Lee, S., Ayers, S. and Holden, D. (2013). A metasynthesis of risk perception in women with high risk pregnancies. Midwifery.
- Lee, S., Ayers, S. and Holden, D. (2012). Risk perception of women during high risk pregnancy: A systematic review. Health, Risk and Society, 14(6), pp. 511–531. doi:10.1080/13698575.2012.701277.
Module Leadership PGDip Midwifery
- MWM004 Research Methods in Midwifery
Module Leadership BSc Midwifery
- NM3743 Literature Review Project - MW1004 Using Evidence in Midwifery Practice
I also teach on modules across the undergraduate Midwifery programmeand on the postgraduate module NMM039 Managing Risks in Midwifery.