Dr Susan Strauss
- Dr Susan Strauss
- +44 (0)20 7040 0167
Dr Susan Maise Strauss joined the Department of Psychology at City, University of London in 2006. She currently serves as Director of the Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology. She leads programme modules focussing on Person-Centred theory and practice. Additionally, she supervises doctoral research, with particular interests in person-centred theory, the therapeutic relationship, gender issues and university counselling. She served from 2007-2016 as Director of City's Graduate Certificate in Counselling Psychology.
Dr Strauss was previously Head of Wellness Services at New York University in London. She also taught for many years at Syracuse University's London and Madrid programmes, serving in London as Coordinator of Psychology and Counselling Services as well as Assistant Director.
Originally from San Francisco, Dr Strauss completed Bachelor's degrees in English and Psychology at San Francisco State University, and an MS and PhD in Counselling Psychology at Colorado State University. She served as Predoctoral Clinical Psychology Intern with the University of Minnesota Hospital's Psychology Internship Consortium. Prior to moving abroad, she served as Director of Counselling, Testing and Career Services at University of St. Thomas in Houston, Texas. She has also worked extensively with children, adolescents and adults in clinical settings.
- PhD, Counselling Psychology, Colorado State University, USA
- MS, Counselling Psychology, Colorado State University, USA
- BA, Psychology, San Francisco State University, USA
- BA, English, San Francisco State University, USA
- Chartered Counselling Psychologist, British Psychological Society
- Registered Psychologist, Health and Care Professions Council, United Kingdom
- Licensed Psychologist, Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists
- Director, Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology, City, University of London, May 2017 – present
- Co-Director, Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology, City, University of London, Sep 2016 – Apr 2017
- Acting Director, Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology, City, University of London, Oct 2015 – May 2016
- Deputy Director, Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology, City, University of London, Sep 2015 – Aug 2016
- Director, Graduate Certificate in Counselling Psychology, City, University of London, Sep 2007 – Aug 2016
- Senior Lecturer, City, University of London, Sep 2006 – present
- Strauss, S.M. (2016). The Trainee Experience. In Bor, R. and Watts, M. (Eds.), The Trainee Handbook A Guide for Counselling & Psychotherapy Trainees (pp. 31–38). London: SAGE. ISBN 978-1-4739-9824-7.
- Strauss, S.M. and Bury, D. (2006). The Scientist-Practitioner in a Counselling Psychology Setting. In Lane, D.A. and Corrie, S. (Eds.), The modern scientist-practitioner London: Routledge. ISBN 978-1-58391-886-9.
- Strauss, S.M. and Fragkiadaki, E. (2012). Termination of psychotherapy: The journey of ten psychoanalytic and psychodynamic therapists. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice, 85(3), pp. 335–350. doi:10.1111/j.2044-8341.2011.02035.x.
- Strauss, S.M., MacQuiddy, S.L. and Hamilton, S.B. (1987). Empathy and affective perspective-taking skills in parent-identified conduct-disordered boys. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 16, pp. 260–268.