Professor Susan Blake
- Professor Susan Blake
- +44 (0)20 7040 3623
Susan first became a member of The City Law School staff (formerly the Inns of Court School of Law) in 1978, following a few years in civil and family practice. She has always focused on the development of high quality legal professional training, being the Course Director for the Bar Vocational Course from 1990 -1998, and then Director of Studies, with responsibilities for developing curriculum and learning for all law professional programmes. Susan has been Associate Dean at The City Law School since 2002.
Currently, Susan is the Course Director of the LLM Civil Litigation and Dispute Resolution, which focuses on providing a sound and practical understanding of civil litigation, mediation and arbitration, with a focus on current issues and developments. She also teaches civil litigation, ADR, civil advocacy, opinion writing and drafting on the Bar Professional Training Course.
Susan is the author of A Practical Approach to Effective Litigation published by Oxford University Press (7th edition 2010). She is a co-author of A Practical Approach to Alternative Dispute Resolution published by Oxford University Press (2nd edition 2012). She is also a co-author of The Jackson ADR Handbook published by Oxford University Press (1st edition 2013). She makes substantial contributions to The City Law School BPTC manuals, including in the areas of drafting and opinion writing.
Susan is a founder member of the Centre for the Study of Legal Professional Practice at The City Law School. She attends and speaks at a range of conferences in relation to many aspects of legal professional skills training.
Susan welcome approaches for supervision from prospective PhD students in the areas of:
- legal professional skills
- civil litigation - rules, practice, evidence, procedure etc
- alternative dispute resolution
- Blake, S.H., Blake, S., Browne, J. and Sime, S. (2014). A Practical Approach to Alternative Dispute Resolution. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-871447-7.
- Blake, S.H., Browne, J. and Sime, S. (2013). The Jackson ADR Handbook. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-967646-0.
- Blake, S.H., Blake, S., Browne, J. and Sime, S. (2012). A Practical Approach to Alternative Dispute Resolution. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-964498-8.
- Blake, S., Sime, S. and Browne, J. (2010). A Practical Approach to Alternative Dispute Resolution. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-959186-2.
- Blake, S. (2009). A Practical Approach to Effective Litigation. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-955030-2.
LLM Civil Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Module 2 Dispute Resolution Options
Module 3 Mediation and Negotiation
Bar Professional Training Course
Civil Procedure, Advocacy, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Opinion Writing, Drafting