Dr Steven Truxal
- Dr Steven Truxal
- +44 (0)20 7040 3417
Steven joined The City Law School in 2012. He teaches Aviation Law & Regulation and Commercial Law as third-year electives on the LL.B. programme and Air & Space Law on the LL.M. programme. He was previously Visiting Professor of English Law and Dean of Studies at the Centre for British Studies, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (Germany).
Danish (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), French (can read, write, speak and understand spoken) and German (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).
Steven's specialist research focuses on the issues surrounding competition and environmental regulation of air transport. Steven is particularly interested in how 'regulation' and multilevel decision-making impacts on and implicates airlines, air cargo carriers and firms in industries complementary to air transport.
As a PhD supervisor, Steven welcomes approaches from prospective PhD students in areas related to aviation, transport law and international commercial law.
Thesis title: Maritime Cabotage Law: Its Ramifications in World Trade and Services
Thesis title: The Issue of Family Reunification between EU citizens and Third Country Nationals
Thesis title: The Judicialization of International Commercial Arbitration Through the Lens of a Uniform Sales Law
Thesis title: The Regulatory Structure of General Aviation
- Truxal, S. (2016). Economic and Environmental Regulation of International Aviation From Inter-national to Global Governance. Routledge. ISBN 978-1-317-55067-9.
- Truxal, S. (2012). Competition and Regulation in the Airline Industry. Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-67196-5.
- Truxal, S. (2020). Agents and Agency in the Face of Austerity and Brexit Uncertainty: the Case of Legal Aid. Contested Britain Brexit, Austerity and Agency Bristol: Bristol University Press / Polity Press. ISBN 978-1-5292-0502-2.
- Truxal, S. (2019). Airspace sovereignty in the Chicago Regime: a reality check. In Mendes deLeon, P. and Buissing, N. (Eds.), Behind and Beyond the Chicago Convention: The Evolution of Aerial Sovereignty (pp. 291–303). The Netherlands: Wolters Kluwer. ISBN 978-94-035-1131-3.
- Truxal, S. (2018). Mergers, acquisitions and ‘fair’ competition in the airline industry. In Dynia, E. and Marcisz-Dynia, A. (Eds.), Prawne i techniczne aspekty wykorzystania przestrzeni powietrznej i kosmiczne (Legal and technical aspects of the use of air space and cosmic space) Rzeszow, Poland: Wydawnictwo Uniwersytet Rzeszowski. ISBN 978-83-7996-533-5.
- Truxal, S. and Dunbar, R. (2012). Evaluating Three Levels of Environmental Taxation in Aviation: Global Limitation, EU Determination and UK Self-interest. Market instruments and sustainable economy (pp. 275–289). Madrid, Spain: Instituto de Estudios Fiscales (IEF). ISBN 978-84-8008-356-0.
- Truxal, S. (2017). Air carrier liability and air passenger rights: a game of tug of war? Journal of International and Comparative Law, 4(1), pp. 103–122.
- Truxal, S. (2014). Consumer protections and limited liability: Global order for air transport? Journal of International and Comparative Law, 1(1), pp. 133–140.
- Truxal, S. (2014). Risk of abuse of dominance in airport slots for "better" European airports? ECLR: European Competition Law Review, 35(6), pp. 299–309.
- Truxal, S. (2014). Encouraging student participation with formative assessment and engagement
in grading criteria: hybrid peer/self-assessment activity. Learning at City Journal, 4(2), pp. 18–24.
- Truxal, S. and Harris, S. (2013). Airfreight: regulatory environment encourages or imposes price co-ordination? Journal of Air Law & Commerce, 78(3), pp. 541–582.
- Truxal, S. (2011). The ICAO Assembly Resolutions on International Aviation and Climate Change: Historic agreement, breakthrough deal and the Cancun effect. Air & Space Law, 36(3), pp. 217–242.
- Truxal, S. (2010). At the sidelines of implementing the EU ETS: objections to ‘validity’. International Trade Law and Regulation, 16(4), pp. 28–36.
- Truxal, S. (2008). EU Transport Emissions Compliance Catch-up. International Trade Law and Regulation, 14(6), pp. 117–121.
- Truxal, S. (2008). Competitive Distortions, Carbon Emissions Efficiencies or the Green Ultimatum? International Trade Law and Regulation, 14(4), pp. 77–79.
- Commercial Law (LLB, GELLB)
- Contract Law (LLB, GELLB)