Dr Stathis Milonidis
- Dr Stathis Milonidis
- +44 (0)20 7040 4078
Dr Efstathios Milonidis received his first degree in Electrical Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens, his MSc in Control Engineering and his MPhil in Aerodynamics and Flight Mechanics from Cranfield Institute of Technology, and his PhD in Control Theory and Design from City University. Prior to his present appointment as a Lecturer in Control and Information Systems at the School of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences he was an Associate Research Professor at the Institute of Automation, Danish Technical University, Copenhagen, and an Associate Professor at the Department of Electronics at the Technical University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
His research experience is in the areas of Control Systems Design, Algebraic Control Synthesis Methods, and Sampled and Discrete Time Systems. He has contributed in the development of a methodology for Synthesis of Discrete Time Control schemes based on the problem of "Finite Settling Time Stabilisation" (FSTS) and the development of control based methodology for Control Structure Selection. His main research interests are in Discrete Time Control, Modelling and Simulation of Dynamical Systems, Systems Theory and Graph Methods for Multivariable Control Systems.
PhD Control Theory & Design, City University London, 1994
MPhil Aerodynamics & Flight Mechanics, Cranfield University, 1986
MSc Industrial Control, Cranfield University, 1984
MEng/Diploma Electrical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, 1981
08/2010 - to date City University London, Senior Lecturer
01/2001 - 07/2010 City University London, Lecturer
04/1988 - 12/2000 Technological Educational Institute of Thessaloniki, Associate Professor
03/1997 - 03/1988 Danish Technical University, Associate Research Professor
1994 - 1997 City University London, Research Fellow
1990 - 1997 City University London, Research Assistant
Membership of professional bodies
2013 InstMC (Institution of Measurement and Control)
2004 IET (Institution of Engineering & Technology), Member
1981 Institute of Electrical Engineers, Greece, Member
1981 Technical Chamber of Greece, Member
- Discrete-time control (finite settling time stabilisation).
- Graph approach to multivariable control system design.
- Mathematical modelling and simulation of dynamical systems.
- CAD for control systems.
- Flight control systems design.
- Liatsis, P., Hussain, A.J. and Milonidis, E. (2008). Artificial high-order pipeline recurrent neural networks for financial time series prediction. In Zhang, M. (Ed.), Artificial Higher Order Neural Networks for Economics and Business (pp. 164–189). ISBN 978-1-59904-897-0.
- Karcanias, N. and Milonidis, E. (2007). Introduction to structural methods for linear systems. In M. Thoma, and M. Morari, (Eds.), Mathematical Methods for Robust and Nonlinear Systems (pp. 47–98). springer. ISBN 978-1-84800-024-7.
- Tomic, I., Milonidis, E. and Halikias, G.D. (2016). LQR distributed cooperative control of a formation of low-speed experimental UAVs.
- Karcanias, N., Sagianos, E. and Milonidis, E. (2005). Structural identification: The computation of the generic McMillan degree.
- Milonidis, E. and Karcanias, N. (2002). Multivariable Finite Settling Time Stabilisation: Parametrisation and Properties. 15th IFAC World Congress 21-26 July, Barcelona.
- Karcanias, N. and Milonidis, E. (1998). Structural Identification in Large Scale Systems : Generic McMillan Degree Computation. IFAC Symposium on Large Scale Systems, LSS ‘98 15-17 July, Univ. of Patras, Rio, Greece.
- Mitrouli, M., Leventides, J., Milonidis, E. and Karcanias, N. (1998). An optimization approach to the computation of solutions of the determinental assignment problem. IFAC LSS'98 July, Greece.
- Milonidis, E. (1998). The use of an Extended Kalman Filter (EKF) for the identification of the aerodynamic derivatives of the experimental RPV X-RAE1. 17th IASTED International Conf. in Modeling, Identification and Control February, Switzerland.
- Milonidis, E. and Karcanias, N. (1997). L1-Optimisation and shaping in Finite Settling Time Stabilising Control. ECC ‘97 1-4 July, Brussels.
- Milonidis, E. and Karcanias, N. (1997). L1 optimisation and shaping in Finite Settling Time Stabilising control.
- Milonidis, E. and Karcanias, N. (1996). Simultaneous finite settling time stabilisation: some new results. 13th IFAC World Congress 30 Jun 1996 – 5 Jul 1996, San Francisco.
- Karcanias, N., Shan, X.Y. and Milonidis, E. (1996). Structural Identification Problem in Early Process Design; The Generic MacMillan degree problem. 4th IEEE Mediterranean Symposium, MSCA’ 96 June, Crete, Greece.
- Karcanias, N., Koivo, H.N., Milonidis, E. and Nistazakis, E. (1996). The problem of global process instrumentation: General Issues and Control Design Implications. World Automation Congress 27-30 May, France.
- Milonidis, E., Karcanias, N., Vafiadis, D., Mitrouli, M. and Nissinen, A. (1996). The SESDIP toolboxes and the computational requirement of the structural framework. ASI’96 May, Toulouse, France.
- Milonidis, E. and Leventides, J. (1996). The SESDIP structural approach and the Tennessee Eastman Benchmark Problem. ASI’96 May, Toulouse, France.
- Milonidis, E. and Karcanias, N. (1996). MIMO Finite Settling Time Stabilization: McMillan degree bounds and the minimal design problem.
- Milonidis, E., Karcanias, N. and IEEE, (1996). Two-parameter finite settling time stabilization.
- Karcanias, N. and Milonidis, E. (1996). Robust Multivariable Finite Settling Time Stabilization. 4th IEEE Mediterranean Symposium, MSCA ‘96.
- KARCANIAS, N. and MILONIDIS, E. (1991). FINITE SETTLING TIME STABILIZATION OF A FAMILY OF DISCRETE-TIME-SYSTEMS.
- Karcanias, N., Leventides, J., Milonidis, E. and Meintanis, I. (2016). Selection of Decentralised Control Structures: Structural Methodologies and Diagnostics. IFAC-PapersOnLine, 49(9), pp. 80–85. doi:10.1016/j.ifacol.2016.07.498.
- Leventides, J., Karcanias, N., Meintanis, I. and Milonidis, E. (2014). Reduced sensitivity solutions to global linearisation of the pole assignment map. IFAC Proceedings Volumes (IFAC-PapersOnline), 19, pp. 4727–4732.
- Halikias, G., Galanis, G., Karcanias, N. and Milonidis, E. (2013). Nearest common root of polynomials, approximate greatest common divisor and the structured singular value. IMA Journal of Mathematical Control and Information, 30(4), pp. 423–442. doi:10.1093/imamci/dns032.
- Milonidis, E., Kostarigka, A. and Karcanias, N. (2011). Finite settling time stabilisation: the robust SISO case. INT J CONTROL, 84(9), pp. 1521–1532. doi:10.1080/00207179.2011.611949.
- Halikias, G., Tsoulkas, V., Pantelous, A. and Milonidis, E. (2010). Hankel-norm approximation of FIR filters: A descriptor-systems based approach. International Journal of Control, 83(9), pp. 1858–1867. doi:10.1080/00207179.2010.498059.
- Liatsis, P., Goulermas, J.Y., Zeng, X.J. and Milonidis, E. (2009). A flexible visual inspection system based on neural networks. INT J SYST SCI, 40(2), pp. 173–186. doi:10.1080/00207720802630719.
- Liatsis, P., Nazarboland, M.A., Goulermas, J.Y., Zeng, X.J. and Milonidis, E. (2008). Automating the processing of cDNA microarray images. International Journal of Intelligent Systems Technologies and Applications, 5(1-2), pp. 115–144. doi:10.1504/IJISTA.2008.01817.
- Halikias, G., Milonidis, E. and Jaimoukha, I.M. (2007). Robust stabilisation of multivariable systems: Directionality and super-optimisation. Special Issue on Modern Mathematical Methods in Science and Technology, Bulletin of the Greek Mathematical Society, 54, pp. 143–166.
- Karcanias, N., Sagianos, E. and Milonidis, E. (2007). Structured transfer function matrices, integer matrices and computation of the generic McMillan degree and infinite zero structure. INT J CONTROL, 80(9), pp. 1404–1420. doi:10.1080/00207170701316632.
- Milonidis, E. and Karcanias, N. (2006). Finite settling time stabilisation for multivariable discrete-time systems: A polynomial equation approach. International Journal of Control, 79(12), pp. 1565–1580. doi:10.1080/00207170600865341.
- Prapas, D.E., Norton, B., Milonidis, E. and Probert, S.D. (1988). Response function for solar-energy collectors. Solar Energy, 40(4), pp. 371–383. doi:10.1016/0038-092X(88)90010-2.