Dr Souvik Ghosh
Dr. Ghosh is a Post-Doctoral Research Associate at City, University of London. He is working in a project funded by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), UK. He received his PhD degree in Photonics from the School of Mathematics, Computer Science, and Engineering (SMCSE), City, University of London in 2018 where he worked on the design and optimisation of integrated photonic sensing devices. He obtained his M.Tech. degree (as the 1st Rank holder) and B.Tech. degree (as the 1st Rank holder) in Optics and Optoelectronics from University of Calcutta, India in the years of 2014 and 2012, respectively.
Dr. Ghosh's research interest focuses on the design of optical fibres, dielectric and plasmonic waveguides, and their applications in bio and chemical sensing. His expertise lies in numerical methods for the assessment of optical systems such as Vectorial Finite Element Method (VFEM) and Finite Difference Time Domain (FDTD).
- PhD, City, University of London, United Kingdom, 2014 – 2018
- M.Tech, University of Calcutta, India, 2012 – 2014
- B.Tech, University of Calcutta, India, 2009 – 2012
- B.Sc (Hons), University of Calcutta, India, 2006 – 2009
- SPIE Optics and Photonics Educational Scholarship 2017, SPIE Optics and Photonics Educational Scholarship 2017, Sep 2017 – present
- Erasmus Mundus AREAs+ for PhD, Erasmus Mundus AREAS+ 2014
- GATE fellowship for M.Tech, Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering 2012
Memberships of professional organisations
- Student member, Optical Society of America (OSA)
- Student member, SPIE
Post-doctoral research project
Optical sensors for water quality monitoring.
PhD thesis title
Design and optimisation of integrated photonic waveguides and sensors.
Studies on enhancement of electro-optic property and specially designed
tunable phase amplitude modulator using lithium niobate.
- Hameed, M.F.O. and Obayya, S. (2018). Computational Photonic Sensors. Springer. ISBN 978-3-319-76556-3.
- Ghosh, S., Dar, T., Viphavakit, C., Pan, C., Kejalakshmy, N. and Rahman, B.M.A. (2018). Compact photonic SOI sensors. Computational Photonic Sensors (pp. 343–383). ISBN 978-3-319-76556-3.
- Atia, K.S.R., Ghosh, S., Heikal, A.M., Hameed, M.F.O., Rahman, B.M.A. and Obayya, S.S.A. (2018). Finite element method for sensing applications. Computational Photonic Sensors (pp. 109–151). ISBN 978-3-319-76556-3.
- Gulistan, A., Ghosh, S., Ramachandran, S. and Rahman, B.M.A. (2018). Enhancing mode stability of higher order modes in a multimode fiber.
- Ghosh, S. and Rahman, B.M.A. (2018). Design of ultra-compact composite plasmonic Mach-Zehnder interferometer for chemical vapor sensing.
- Gulistan, A., Rahman, M.M., Ghosh, S. and Rahman, B.M.A. (2018). Tailoring light-sound interactions in a single mode fiber for the high-power transmission or sensing applications.
- Dhingra, N., Song, J., Ghosh, S., Zhou, L. and Rahman, B.M.A. (2018). Design of phase change Ge2Sb2Te5 based on-off electro-optic switch.
- Ghosh, S., Pan, C. and Rahman, B.M.A. (2017). Cross-slot waveguide and compact straight slotted resonator based bio-chemical sensors.
- Ghosh, S., Pan, C., Rahman, B.M.A. and IEEE, (2017). Cross-Slot Waveguide and Compact Straight Slotted Resonator based Bio-Chemical Sensors.
- Das, R., Ghosh, S. and Chakraborty, R. (2015). Tunable differential polarization phase shifter using electro-optic property of trapezoidal lithium niobate crystal.
- Ghosh, S. and Azizur Rahman, B.M. (2014). Full vectorial finite element modelling: A composite plasmonic horizontal slot waveguide as a bio-sensor.
- Ghosh, S. and Rahman, B.M.A. (2019). Design of on-chip hybrid plasmonic Mach-Zehnder interferometer for temperature and concentration detection of chemical solution. Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical, 279, pp. 490–502. doi:10.1016/j.snb.2018.09.070.
- Karim, M.R., Ahmad, H., Ghosh, S. and Rahman, B.M.A. (2018). Mid-infrared supercontinuum generation using As2Se3photonic crystal fiber and the impact of higher-order dispersion parameters on its supercontinuum bandwidth. Optical Fiber Technology, 45, pp. 255–266. doi:10.1016/j.yofte.2018.07.024.
- Ahmad, H., Karim, M.R., Ghosh, S. and Rahman, B.M.A. (2018). Generation of an ultrabroadband supercontinuum in the mid-infrared region using dispersion-engineered GeAsSe photonic crystal fiber. Optical and Quantum Electronics, 50(11). doi:10.1007/s11082-018-1674-y.
- Gulistan, A., Ghosh, S. and Rahman, B.M.A. (2018). Enhancement of modal stability through reduced mode coupling in a few-mode fiber for mode division multiplexing. OSA Continuum, 1(2), pp. 309–319. doi:10.1364/OSAC.1.000309.
- Karim, M.R., Ahmad, H., Ghosh, S. and Rahman, B.M.A. (2018). Design of dispersion-engineered As2Se3channel waveguide for mid-infrared region supercontinuum generation. Journal of Applied Physics, 123(21). doi:10.1063/1.5033494.
- Ghosh, S. and Rahman, B.M.A. (2018). Evolution of Plasmonic Modes in a Metal Nano-Wire Studied by a Modified Finite Element Method. Journal of Lightwave Technology, 36(3), pp. 809–818. doi:10.1109/JLT.2017.2782710.
- Gulistan, A., Ghosh, S., Ramachandran, S. and Rahman, B.M.A. (2017). Efficient strategy to increase higher order inter-modal stability of a step index multimode fiber. Optics Express, 25(24), pp. 29714–29723. doi:10.1364/OE.25.029714.
- Ghosh, S. and Rahman, B.M.A. (2017). A Compact Mach-Zehnder Interferometer Using Composite Plasmonic Waveguide for Ethanol Vapor Sensing. Journal of Lightwave Technology, 35(14), pp. 3003–3011. doi:10.1109/JLT.2017.2703827.
- Ghosh, S. and Rahman, B.M.A. (2017). An Innovative Straight Resonator Incorporating a Vertical Slot as an Efficient Bio-Chemical Sensor. IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, 23(2). doi:10.1109/JSTQE.2016.2630299.
- Das, R., Ghosh, S. and Chakraborty, R. (2015). Analysis of electric field for inclined electrodes and use of such configuration for generating tunable differential polarization phase. EPJ Applied Physics, 72(3). doi:10.1051/epjap/2015150296.
- Das, R., Ghosh, S. and Chakraborty, R. (2014). Dependence of effective internal field of congruent lithium niobate on its domain configuration and stability. Journal of Applied Physics, 115(24). doi:10.1063/1.4885042.