Dr Ryan Stones
- Dr Ryan Stones
- +44 (0)20 7040 3796
Dr Ryan Stones joined The City Law School in September 2018 as a Lecturer in Law. He is the module leader for the LLB Competition Law module, LLM Mergers, and GELLB Constitutional and Administrative Law. He has also previously taught Public Law on the GDL and Immigration Law on the LLB. Since September 2019, he has also been Co-Director of the LLB Programme.
Ryan's research interests lie at the intersection between competition law and legal theory. His writing has been published in the Journal of Competition Law & Economics and the European Competition and Regulatory Law Review. His PhD thesis ("EU Competition Law and the Rule of Law: Justification and Realisation") was undertaken at the London School of Economics. It was supervised by Professor Pablo Ibáñez Colomo and Professor Martin Loughlin. He previously taught Public Law on the LSE LLB programme and Competition Law on the LSE Summer School.
Prior to commencing his PhD research, Ryan completed his master's degree at Corpus Christi College, University of Oxford (Bachelor of Civil Law, Distinction) where he specialised in EU Law, broadly defined. This followed his undergraduate degree at the LSE (LLB, First Class), where he received prizes for best examination performance in each of the three years, and awards for the highest mark in six modules (competition law, jurisprudence, European Union law, administrative law, public international law, property law (land and trusts)).
- PhD, London School of Economics and Political Science, United Kingdom, Oct 2014 – Sep 2018
- Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL), University of Oxford, United Kingdom, Oct 2013 – Jul 2014
- LLB, London School of Economics and Political Science, United Kingdom, Oct 2010 – Jul 2013
- Postgraduate Certificate of Higher Education, London School of Economics and Political Science, London, United Kingdom
- Co-Director of the LLB Programme, City, University of London, Sep 2019 – present
- Lecturer in Law, City, University of London, Sep 2018 – present
Memberships of professional organisations
- United Kingdom Association for European Law, Jan 2020 – present
- Academic Society for Competition Law (ASCOLA), Jan 2020 – present
- Associate Fellowship, Higher Education Academy, Jul 2016 – present
- Stones, R. (2019). Commitment Decisions in EU Competition Enforcement: Policy Effectiveness v. the Formal Rule of Law. Yearbook of European Law, 38, pp. 361–399. doi:10.1093/yel/yez011.
- Stones, R. (2018). The Chicago School and the Formal Rule of Law. Journal of Competition Law and Economics, 14(4), pp. 527–567. doi:10.1093/joclec/nhz002.
- Stones, R. (2018). Book Review: The Normative Foundations of European Competition Law: Assessing the Goals of Antitrust through the Lens of Legal Philosophy. European Competition and Regulatory Law Review, 2(1), pp. 65–69. doi:10.21552/core/2018/1/13.
- Stones, R. EU Competition Law and the Rule of Law: Justification and Realisation. (PhD Thesis)
- Kalintiri, A. and Stones, R. (2019). FIDE Congress 2020 -EU Competition Law and the Digital Economy: United Kingdom Report. London, UK: The City Law School.
- Stones, R. (2016). The Google Saga.
- Enhancing the Global Experience of our Students. (Conference) City, University of London (2019). Invited speaker.
- XXXth Competition Law Scholars Forum Workshop: Antitrust at the Intersection of Law and Economics. (Workshop) University of Graz, Austria (2018).
Paper: The Chicago School of Antitrust and the ‘More Economic Approach’ to EU Competition Law: A Mistaken Inspiration?
Author: Stones, R.
- LSE Law Lunchtime Seminar Series. (Seminar) London School of Economics, London, UK (2017).
Paper: Competition Policy and the Rule of Law: A Summary of the Case for Rule-Based Market Interventions
Author: Stones, R.