Dr Patrick Goold
Dr Goold is an expert in intellectual property law, private law, and legal theory. Dr Goold researches the history and philosophy of intellectual property law. His research has highlighted the growing problem of accidental infringement of IP rights and proposed greater use of negligence liability rules to deal with the problem.
At City, Dr Goold is a LLB Programme Co-Director and the module leader for Intellectual Property Law. In 2019, students voted him the Law Teacher of the Year. Prior to joining City, Dr Goold was a fellow at Harvard Law School's Project on the Foundations of Private Law. He is a regular contributor to Harvard Law School's New Private Law Blog.
- Attorney at Law, New York State Bar, Jul 2010
- Lecturer, The City Law School, Sep 2018 – present
- Qualcomm Fellow and Lecturer on Law, Harvard Law School, Aug 2016 – Aug 2018
- IP Fellow, IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, Jul 2014 – Jul 2016
- Microsoft Fellow, University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, Oct 2012 – Jun 2014
- Goold, P. (2019). Questioning Strict Liability in Patent Law. Indiana Law Journal, (forthcoming, 2019).
- Goold, P. (2018). The Lost Tort of Moral Rights Invasion. Akron Law Review, 51(4), pp. 1093–1125.
- Goold, P. (2017). The Interpretive Argument for a Balanced Three-Step Test? American University International Law Review, 33(1), pp. 187–230.
- Goold, P. (2017). Intent in Patent Infringement. Florida Law Review Forum, 68.
- Goold, P. (2016). Unbundling the “Tort” of Copyright Infringement. Virginia Law Review, 102, pp. 1833–1899.
- Goold, P. and Bracha, O. (2016). Copyright Accidents. Boston University Law Review, 96(3), pp. 943–1091.
- Goold, P. (2015). Is Copyright Infringement a Strict Liability Tort? Berkeley Technology Law Journal, 30, pp. 305–383.
- Goold, P. (2014). Why the U.K. Adaptation Right is Superior to the U.S. Derivative Work Right. Nebraska Law Review, 92, pp. 843–896.
- Goold, P. (2014). Corrective Justice and Copyright Infringement. Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law, 16(2), pp. 251–295.
- Goold, P. (2012). The Evolution of Normative Legal Scholarship: The Case of Copyright Discourse. European Journal of Legal Studies, 5, pp. 23–29.
- Goold, P. (2019). Patent Accidents: Questioning Strict Liability in Patent Law. The City Law School.