Dr Patrick Brindle
- Dr Patrick Brindle
- +44 (0)20 7040 8011
Patrick is Programme Director for MAs in Publishing, International Publishing, and Creative Writing & Publishing. Prior to joining City Patrick worked in academic publishing, including stints as a commissioning editor for Oxford University Press and Publisher for Research Methods at SAGE.
Patrick's academic background is in History and the Social Sciences. He holds a PhD from the University of Cambridge (1998) and has an MPhil in Social Theory (Cambridge University, 1994). His BA was in Contemporary History (Sussex University, 1992).
At City, Patrick teaches Digital Publishing, Research Methods, and Digital Product Innovation.
Patrick's research interests lie in the overlapping worlds of scholarly communication, learning and political economy.
Patrick's publications (and publishing activity) include:
Brindle, P. (2020) ‘How can you publish books & chapters’, in Duke, Denicolo & Henslee, Publishing for Impact, SAGE, London.
Brindle, P. (2014). Oral history interviewing: History in the classroom in pre-war Britain. SAGE Research Methods Cases. doi:10.4135/978144627305013516584
Brindle, P. (1997) ‘Mr Chips with Everything’ ’History and National Identity in the Classroom’, History Today, vol 47, no. 6.
Brindle, P. & Arnot, M. (1999) ‘England Expects Every Man should do his Duty‘, Oxford Review of Education, vol. 25, no. 2, 1999.
Patrick is also the author of 'Business and Universities, Should Academic Capitalism Shape Teaching and Research?' SAGE Business Researcher (2015) http://businessresearcher.sagepub.com/ doi: 10.1177/2374556815594792
- PhD, 'Past Histories: History & the Elementary School Classroom', University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, 1998
- MPhil Social Theory, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, 1994
- BA Contemporary History (1st Class Hons), University of Sussex, United Kingdom, 1992
- Publisher, Digital Content, SAGE Publications, 2011 – 2015
- Publisher, Social Science Books, SAGE Publications, 2010 – 2011
- Senior Commissioning Editor, Research Methods, SAGE Publications, 2003 – 2010
- Commissioning Editor, Sociology & Organisation Studies, Oxford University Press, 2001 – 2003