Dr Omid Omidyeganeh
- Dr Omid Omidyeganeh
- +44 (0)20 7040 4118
Dr Omidyeganeh holds BSc degree from Sharif University of Technology in Electrical Engineering. He also obtained a joint BSc degree in Petroleum Engineering from Sharif University of Technology and Petroleum University of Technology in Iran. Then he moved to Canada in 2006 and obtained his MSc degree in Environmental Engineering at University of Calgary in 2008 where he developed a large-eddy simulation code to simulate pollution dispersion in urban environments.
He joined Professor Piomelli's research group at Queen's University in 2009 and received his PhD degree in 2013. During the PhD program, Dr Omidyeganeh focused on the subject of environmental fluid dynamics and performed large-eddy simulations to model the flow in rivers and deserts over large-scale bedforms (dunes). He published these works in the Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Journal of Turbulence, and Journal of Geophysical Research. Upon graduation, in May 2013, he was appointed as assistant professor in fluid simulation at City University. Since then Dr. Omidyeganeh has engaged to research in environmental fluid dynamics (river flows and vegetation in river restoration programs), flow control around airfoils (Humpback Whale project), and surface coatings in aeronautics (PELSKIN project).
PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Queen's University, Kingston, Canada, 2013
MSc in Chemical Engineering, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada, 2008
BSc in Electrical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, 2005
BSc in Petroleum Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, 2005
09/2013 - to date City University London, Lecturer
09/2014 - to date Admission Tutor at the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Aeronautics
07/2013 - 09/2013 Post-doctoral Fellow at Queen's University Canada
- Large-eddy and direct numerical simulations
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Immersed-boundary methods
- Fluid-structure interaction
- Geophysical flows
- Sediment transport modeling
- Aquatic vegetation
- Turbulent flows over canopies of filaments
- Quiet aerofoils
- Control of flow around aerofoils
- Drag reduction
- Control of stall
- Modelling the brain
- Multi-compartment modelling
- Cerebrospinal fluid flow dynamics
Attendance: Oct 2016 – Oct 2019, full-time
Thesis title: DNS of flow around swept wings
Role: 2nd Supervisor
Attendance: Oct 2015 – present, full-time
Thesis title: Direct numerical Simulation of turbulent flow over canopies of flexible filaments
Role: 1st Supervisor
Attendance: Oct 2015 – present
Thesis title: High Fidelity Simulation of Low Pressure Turbine
Muhammad Farrukh Shahab
Attendance: Oct 2014 – present
Thesis title: PELSKIN
Further information: Post-doctoral fellow
Attendance: Jan 2014 – present
Thesis title: CFD analysis of leakages in screw compressors
Attendance: Oct 2013 – Sep 2016, full-time
Thesis title: Control of turbulent boundary layers using flexible filaments
Role: 2nd Supervisor
- Pinelli, A., Omidyeganeh, M., Brücker, C., Revell, A., Sarkar, A. and Alinovi, E. (2017). The PELskin project: part IV—control of bluff body wakes using hairy filaments. Meccanica, 52(7), pp. 1503–1514. doi:10.1007/s11012-016-0513-0.
- Shahab, M.F., Omidyeganeh, M. and Pinelli, A. (2019). DNS of separated low-re flow around a cambered aerofoil. ERCOFTAC Series (pp. 373–380).
- Monti, A., Omidyeganeh, M. and Pinelli, A. (2019). Large-eddy simulation of an open channel flow with submerged rigid vegetation. ERCOFTAC Series (pp. 571–577).
- Omidyeganeh, M. and Piomelli, U. (2011). Coherent structures in the flow over two-dimensional dunes.
- Omidyeganeh, M. and Piomelli, U. (2011). Large eddies in the flow over dunes.
- Monti, A., Omidyeganeh, M. and Pinelli, A. (2019). Large-eddy simulation of an open-channel flow bounded by a semi-dense rigid filamentous canopy: Scaling and flow structure. Physics of Fluids, 31(6). doi:10.1063/1.5095770.
- Rosti, M.E., Omidyeganeh, M. and Pinelli, A. (2018). Numerical Simulation of a Passive Control of the Flow Around an Aerofoil Using a Flexible, Self Adaptive Flaplet. Flow, Turbulence and Combustion pp. 1–33. doi:10.1007/s10494-018-9914-6.
- Rosti, M.E., Omidyeganeh, M. and Pinelli, A. (2018). Passive control of the flow around unsteady aerofoils using a self-activated deployable flap. Journal of Turbulence, 19(3), pp. 204–228. doi:10.1080/14685248.2017.1314486.
- Nokhandan, M.M., Piomelli, U. and Omidyeganeh, M. (2018). Large-eddy and wall-modelled simulations of turbulent flow over two-dimensional river dunes. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth. doi:10.1016/j.pce.2018.11.004.
- Rosti, M.E., Kamps, L., Bruecker, C., Omidyeganeh, M. and Pinelli, A. (2017). The PELskin project-part V: towards the control of the flow around aerofoils at high angle of attack using a self-activated deployable flap. Meccanica, 52(8), pp. 1811–1824. doi:10.1007/s11012-016-0524-x.
- Rosti, M.E., Omidyeganeh, M. and Pinelli, A. (2016). Direct numerical simulation of the flow around an aerofoil in ramp-up motion. Physics of Fluids, 28(2). doi:10.1063/1.4941529.
- Pelletier, J.D., Sherman, D.J., Ellis, J.T., Farrell, E.J., Jackson, N.L., Li, B. … Omidyeganeh, M. (2015). Dynamics of sediment storage and release on aeolian dune slip faces: A field study in Jericoacoara, Brazil. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface, 120(9), pp. 1911–1934. doi:10.1002/2015JF003636.
- Omidyeganeh, M. and Abedi, J. (2013). Numerical simulation of the wind flow around a cube. Advances and Applications in Fluid Mechanics, 13(2), pp. 99–125.
- Omidyeganeh, M., Piomelli, U., Christensen, K.T. and Best, J.L. (2013). Large eddy simulation of interacting barchan dunes in a steady, unidirectional flow. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface. doi:10.1002/jgrf.20149.
- Omidyeganeh, M. and Piomelli, U. (2013). Large-eddy simulation of three-dimensional dunes in a steady, unidirectional flow. Part 1. Turbulence statistics. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 721, pp. 454–483. doi:10.1017/jfm.2013.36.
- Omidyeganeh, M. and Piomelli, U. (2013). Large-eddy simulation of three-dimensional dunes in a steady, unidirectional flow. Part 2. Flow structures. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 734, pp. 509–534. doi:10.1017/jfm.2013.499.
- Piomelli, U. and Omidyeganeh, M. (2013). Large-eddy simulations in dune-dynamics research. VLIZ Special Publication, 65.
- Omidyeganeh, M. and Piomelli, U. (2011). Large-eddy simulation of two-dimensional dunes in a steady, unidirectional flow. Journal of Turbulence, 12, pp. 1–31. doi:10.1080/14685248.2011.609820.
- Derakhshesh, M., Abedi, J. and Omidyeganeh, M. (2009). Modeling of hazardous air pollutant removal in the pulsed corona discharge. Physics Letters, Section A: General, Atomic and Solid State Physics, 373(11), pp. 1051–1057. doi:10.1016/j.physleta.2009.01.041.
Leader of Computing 2 Course in module ME2111