Dr Oliver Kerr
Dr Kerr was an undergraduate at Trinity Hall, University of Cambridge where he was awarded a degree in Mathematics. He spent a further year on Part III of the course, getting a certificate in Advanced Studies in Mathematics (later converted into an MMath). He then went to Bristol University, studying under Dr Judy Holyer, before continuing there with a couple of post-doctoral positions and a couple of temporary lectureships. He then secured a lectureship here at City University in the Department of Mathematics.
PhD Mathematics, Bristol University, 1989
Cert of Adv Study in Mathematics, University of Cambridge, 1983 (leading to the retrospective award of an MMath in 2011)
BA Mathematics, University of Cambridge, 1982
1988-1993 Department of Mathematics, Bristol University (Research Assistant/Associate, Lecturer)
1994- Department of Mathematics, City University.
I am interested in various topics in theoretical fluid dynamics. My central interest has been in topics relating to double-diffusive convection (convection driven by density differences caused by variations in both temperature and salinity) such as determining when instabilities will be observed, and how they behave once they develop.
Instabilities in Evolving Systems
Some of the double-diffusive problems have some little understood aspects that I am actively looking into such as how instabilities form in evolving systems. This contrasts with the traditional stability analysis which often looks at instabilities that grow from a time-independent background state (or one that can be approximated as steady).
A typical problem would be the heating of a large body of water from a boundary. Initially the fluid is stable, and only subsequently goes unstable.
- Kit Yee Tang
- Thesis Title
- Double Diffusive Convection in a Vertical Slot
- Juan Faiz Talabany
- Thesis Title
- The Onset of Double-diffusive Instability In Evolving Sidewall Heating
- Elizabeth Lawal
- Thesis Title
- Time dependent double-diffusive convective instabilities from the lateral heating of a stratified fluid layer
- Zoë Gumm
- Thesis Title
- Thermal Instabilities in an Evolving Boundary Layer at a Single Vertical Wall
- Kerr, O. (2016). Critical Rayleigh number of an error function temperature profile with a quasi-static assumption. arXiv.
- Kerr, O.S. and Gumm, Z. (2017). Thermal instability in a time-dependent base state due to sudden heating. Journal of Fluid Mechanics pp. 1002–1034. doi:10.1017/jfm.2017.408.
- Kerr, O.S. (2014). Comment on 'Nonlinear eigenvalue problems'. Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, 47(36) . doi:10.1088/1751-8113/47/36/368001.
- Kerr, O.S. (2007). Periodic intrusions in a stratified fluid. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS, 580, pp. 467–480. doi:10.1017/S0022112007005617.
- Kerr, O.S. (2006). An exact solution in sedimentation under an inclined wall. PHYSICS OF FLUIDS, 18(12) . doi:10.1063/1.2404983.
- Kerr, O.S. and Zebib, A. (2006). The effect of vibrations on sideways double-diffusive instabilities: strong stratification asymptotics. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS, 559, pp. 299–306. doi:10.1017/S0022112006000619.
- Kerr, O.S. and Zebib, A. (2006). Low-gravity sideways double-diffusive instabilities: Small wave number asymptotics. PHYSICS OF FLUIDS, 18(6) . doi:10.1063/1.2213998.
- Ruddick, B. and Kerr, O. (2003). Oceanic thermohaline intrusions: theory. PROGRESS IN OCEANOGRAPHY, 56(3-4), pp. 483–497. doi:10.1016/S0079-6611(03)00029-6.
- Chan, C.L., Chen, W.-.Y. and Chen, C.F. (2002). Secondary motion in convection layers generated by lateral heating of a solute gradient (with an Appendix by O. S. Kerr). J. Fluid Mech., 455, pp. 1–19.
- Kerr, O.S. (2001). Oscillatory double-diffusive instabilities in a vertical slot. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS, 426, pp. 347–354. doi:10.1017/S0022112000002445.
- Kerr, O.S. (2000). The criteria for the onset of double-diffusive instabilities at a vertical boundary. PHYSICS OF FLUIDS, 12(12), pp. 3289–3292. doi:10.1063/1.1321257.
- Kerr, O.S. (2000). Three-dimensional instabilities of steady double-diffusive interleaving. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS, 418, pp. 297–312. doi:10.1017/S002211200000135X.
- Kerr, O.S. and Tang, K.Y. (1999). Double-diffusive instabilities in a vertical slot. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS, 392, pp. 213–232. doi:10.1017/S0022112099005315.
- Kerr, O.S. and Dold, J.W. (1996). Flame propagation around stretched periodic vortices investigated using ray-tracing. COMBUSTION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, 118(1-3), pp. 101–125. doi:10.1080/00102209608951974.
- Kerr, O.S. and Dold, J.W. (1996). Investigation of Flame Propagation Through Steady Periodic Vortices in a Stagnation Point Flow by the use of Ray-Tracing. Combust. Sci. Tech., 118, pp. 101–125.
- KERR, O.S. (1995). THE EFFECT OF ROTATION ON DOUBLE-DIFFUSIVE CONVECTION IN A LATERALLY HEATED VERTICAL SLOT. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS, 301, pp. 345–370. doi:10.1017/S0022112095003922.
- Dold, J.W., Kerr, O.S. and Nikolova, I.P. (1995). Flame propagation through periodic vortices. Combustion Flame, 100, pp. 359-366–359-366.
- Kerr, O.S. and Dold, J.W. (1994). Periodic Steady Vortices in a Stagnation Point Flow. J. Fluid Mech., 276, pp. 307–325. doi:10.1017/S0022112094002570.
- Kerr, O.S. (1992). Two-dimensional instabilities of steady double-diffusive interleaving. J. Fluid Mech., 242, pp. 99–116.
- Kerr, O.S. (1992). On the merging of double-diffusive convection cells at a vertical boundary. Phys. Fluids A, 4, pp. 2923–2926.
- Kerr, O.S. (1991). Double-diffusive instabilities at a sloping boundary. J. Fluid Mech., 225, pp. 333–354.
- Kerr, O.S. (1990). Heating a salinity gradient from a vertical sidewall: nonlinear theory. J. Fluid Mech., 217, pp. 529–546.
- Kerr, O.S. (1989). Heating a salinity gradient from a vertical sidewall: linear theory. J. Fluid Mech., 207, pp. 323–352.
- Kerr, O.S. and Wheeler, A.A. (1989). The effect of a weak vertical magnetic field on the boundary layer past a vertical heated wall. J. Fluid Mech., 199, pp. 217–236.
- Kerr, O.S. and Wheeler, A.A. (1989). The effect of a magnetic field on the flux of a contaminant dissolving into the crucible wall boundary layer in Czochralski crystal growth. J. Crys. Growth, 96, pp. 915–932.
- Kerr, O.S. and Holyer, J.Y. (1986). The effect of rotation on double-diffusive interleaving. J. Fluid Mech., 162, pp. 23–33.
In 2013-14 Dr Kerr is teaching:
MA1617 Computational Mathematics
MA2608 Numerical Mathematics
Dr Kerr is teaching a module on Modelling for the London Taught Course Centre (LTCC) for PhD students in a number of London universities.