Professor Mireia Jofre-Bonet
- Professor Mireia Jofre-Bonet
- +44 (0)20 7040 0168
Professor Jofre-Bonet is Director of the MSc in Health Economics and the MSc in Economic Evaluation in Healthcare at City, University of London. She is a Senior Associated Researcher at LSE Health (London School of Economics and Political Sciences), collaborates with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and belongs to the London International Development Centre.
Prior to joining City, Professor Jofre-Bonet was a Lecturer at LSHTM, a Research Faculty member at the School of Public Health at Yale University, and taught at the Departments of Economics at the London School of Economics and at Yale University.
She has been a Core Member of NICE Public Health Committee, ESRC Peer College Review and has contributed to health economics projects and reviews public institutions - including the UK Department of Health, the NIHR Health Technology Assessment programme, the Sierra Leone National Social Insurance Trust and the Catalan and the Balearic Island's Departments of Health.
- Director of PhD Studies, City, University of London, 2008 – 2009
- Director of the MSc in Health Economics, City, University of London, Jan 2007 – present
- Director of the MSc in Economic Evaluation in Health Care, City, University of London, Sep 2006 – present
- Director of Health Services Research, Yale University, New Haven, 1999 – 2002
Memberships of committees
- Member, Scientific Committee for the International Health Economics Association Conferences (iHEA), 2009
- Member, Hiring Search Committee, Economics Department, City, University of London, 2008 – 2009
- Member, Organising Committee of the 5th International Health Economists' Association (IHEA) Conference, Barcelona, Jun 2005 – present
Memberships of professional organisations
- Member, ESRC Peer Review College, 2010 – present
- Organiser, London Health Economics Group, 2009 – present
- Member, NICE Programme Development Group - Type 2 Diabetes
- Member, International Health Economists' Association Health Economists' Study Group (UK); the Centre de Recerca en Economia de la Salut, Barcelona
- Research Associate, FEDEA Health, Spain
Fields of interest include: health production functions and lifestyle decisions; adaptation to health states; the impact of substance abuse and mental health on productivity; economic evaluation applied to substance abuse and to eye disease; topics of industrial organisation applied to the demand for health care and topics of industrial organisation and research policy.
- Jofre-Bonet, M., Serra-Sastre, V. and Vandoros, S. (2018). The impact of the Great Recession on health-related risk factors, behaviour and outcomes in England. Social Science and Medicine, 197, pp. 213–225. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2017.12.010.
- Cubí-Mollá, P., Jofre-Bonet, M. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2017). Adaptation to health states: Sick yet better off? Health Economics, 26(12), pp. 1826–1843. doi:10.1002/hec.3509.
- Banal-Estañol, A., Jofre-Bonet, M. and Lawson, C. (2015). The double-edged sword of industry collaboration: Evidence from engineering academics in the UK. Research Policy, 44(6), pp. 1160–1175. doi:10.1016/j.respol.2015.02.006.
- Harding-Esch, E., Jofre-Bonet, M., Dhanjal, J.K., Burr, S., Edwards, T., Holland, M. … Bailey, R. (2015). Costs of Testing for Ocular Chlamydia trachomatis Infection Compared to Mass Drug Administration for Trachoma in The Gambia: Application of Results from the PRET Study. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 9(4). doi:10.1371/journal.pntd.0003670.
- Jofre-Bonet, M. and Pesendorfer, M. (2014). Optimal sequential auctions. International Journal of Industrial Organization, 33(1), pp. 61–71. doi:10.1016/j.ijindorg.2014.02.002.
- Costa-Font, J. and Jofre-Bonet, M. (2013). Anorexia, Body Image and Peer Effects: Evidence from a Sample of European Women. Economica, 80(317), pp. 44–64.
- Costa-Font, J., Jofre-Bonet, M. and Yen, S.T. (2013). Not All Incentives Wash Out the Warm Glow: The Case of Blood Donation Revisited. Kyklos, 66(4), pp. 529–551.
- Costa-Font, J. and Jofre-Bonet, M. (2008). Is there a 'secession of the wealthy'? Private health insurance uptake and National Health System support. Bulletin of Economic Research, 60(3), pp. 265–287. doi:10.1111/j.1467-8586.2008.00285.x.
- Jofre-Bonet, M. and Petry, N.M. (2008). Trading apples for oranges?. Results of an experiment on the effects of Heroin and Cocaine price changes on addicts' polydrug use. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 66(2), pp. 281–311. doi:10.1016/j.jebo.2006.05.002.
- Costa-Font, J. and Jofre-Bonet, M. (2006). Are private health insurance subscribers unsatisfied with the Spanish national health system? Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance: Issues and Practice, 31(4), pp. 650–668.
- Jofre-Bonet, M., Busch, S.H., Falba, T.A. and Sindelar, J.L. (2005). Poor mental health and smoking: interactive impact on wages. Journal of Mental Health Policy Economics, 8(4), pp. 193–203.
- Busch, S.H., Jofre-Bonet, M., Falba, T.A. and Sindelar, J.L. (2004). Burning a hole in the budget: tobacco spending and its crowd-out of other goods. Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, 3(4), pp. 263–272.
- Jofre-Bonet, M. and Pesendorfer, M. (2003). Estimation of a dynamic auction game. Econometrica, 71(5), pp. 1443–1489.
- Jofre-Bonet, M. and Sindelar, J.L. (2001). Drug Treatment as a Crime Fighting Tool. Journal of Mental Health Policy Econonmics, 4(4), pp. 175–178.
- Jofre-Bonet, M. (2000). Health care: Private and/or public provision. European Journal of Political Economy, 16(3), pp. 469–489.
- Jofre-Bonet, M. (2000). Public health care and private insurance demand: the waiting time as a link. Health Care Management Science, 3(1), pp. 51–71.
- Serra-Sastre, V., Cubi-Molla, P. and Jofre-Bonet, M. (2013). Adaptation to Health States: A Micro-Econometric Approach..
- Costa-i-Font, J. and Jofre-Bonet, M. (2016). Like Mother, Like Father? Gender Assortative Transmission of Child Overweight.
- Radu, X., Jofre-Bonet, M., Ayton, P. and Cubi-Molla, P. (2017). PATIENTS ACKNOWLEDGE ADAPTATION: THE CASE OF AMPUTEES.
- Adler, A., Jofre-Bonet, M., Wilkinson, G., Martin, A. and Mcguire, A. (2014). Quantifying the Loss of Health-related Quality of Life from Hypoglycemia.
- Serra-Sastre, V., Cubi-Molla, Patricia, and Jofre-Bonet, Mireia, (2013). Adaptation to health states: sicker but better off? Health Economists' Study Group Summer 2013 Conference 26-28 June, University of Warwick.
- Serra-Sastre, V., Cubi-Molla, Patricia, and Jofre-Bonet, Mireia, (2013). Adaptation to health states: sicker but better off? XXXIII Jornadas de Economía de la Salud 19-21 June, Santander.
- Cubi-Molla, P., Jofre-Bonet, M. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2012). Adaptation to health states: a microeconometric analysis. 4th Biennial Conference ASHEcon 10-13 June, University of Minnesota.
- Bertwistle, D., Anderson, P. and Jofre-Bonet, M. (2012). NICE TECHNOLOGY APPRAISALS AND THE UPTAKE OF BREAST CANCER DRUGS IN THE UK.
- Jofre-Bonet, M. and Pesendorfer, M. (2000). Bidding behavior in a repeated procurement auction: A summary.
- Sharma, A., Jofre-Bonet, M., Panca, M., Lawrenson, J.G. and Murdoch, I. (2012). Response to johnson et Al. Eye, 26(11), pp. 1494–1495. doi:10.1038/eye.2012.176.
- Browne, C., Brazier, J., Carlton, J., Alavi, Y. and Jofre-Bonet, M. (2012). Estimating quality-adjusted life years from patient-reported visual functioning. Eye, 26(10), pp. 1295–1301. doi:10.1038/eye.2012.137.
- Sharma, A., Jofre-Bonet, M., Panca, M., Lawrenson, J.G. and Murdoch, I. (2012). An economic comparison of hospital-based and community-based glaucoma clinics. Eye, 26(7), pp. 967–971. doi:10.1038/eye.2012.73.
- Bozzani, F.M., Alavi, Y., Jofre-Bonet, M. and Kuper, H. (2012). A comparison of the sensitivity of EQ-5D, SF-6D and TTO utility values to changes in vision and perceived visual function in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma. BMC Ophthalmology, 12(1), p. 43. doi:10.1186/1471-2415-12-43.
- Alavi, Y., Jofre-Bonet, M., Bunce, C., Wormald, R.P., Viswanathan, A., Foster, A. … Hitchings, R. (2011). Developing an algorithm to convert routine measures of vision into utility values for glaucoma. Ophthalmic Epidemiology, 18(5), pp. 233–243. doi:10.3109/09286586.2011.602577.
- Sharma, A., Jofre-Bonet, M., Panca, M., Lawrenson, J.G. and Murdoch, I. (2009). Hospital-based glaucoma clinics: what are the costs to patients? Eye, 24(6), pp. 999–1005. doi:10.1038/eye.2009.284.
- Kuper, H., Jofre-Bonet, M. and Gilbert, C. (2006). Economic evaluation for ophthalmologists. Ophthalmic Epidemiology, 13(6), pp. 393–401. doi:10.1080/09286580600760539.
- Busch, S., Falba, T., Duchovny, N., Jofre-Bonet, M., O'Malley, S. and Sindelar, J. (2004). Value to smokers of improved cessation products: evidence from a willingness-to-pay survey. Nicotine Tob Res, 6(4), pp. 631–639. doi:10.1080/14622200410001727885.
- Jofre-Bonet, M. and Sindelar, J.L. (2004). Creating an aggregate outcome index: cost-effectiveness analysis of substance abuse treatment. Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research, 31(3), pp. 229–241. doi:10.1097/00075484-200407000-00001.
- Jofre-Bonet, M., Sindelar, J.L., Petrakis, I.L., Nich, C., Frankforter, T., Rounsaville, B.J. … Carroll, K.M. (2004). Cost effectiveness of disulfiram: treating cocaine use in methadone-maintained patients. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 26(3), pp. 225–232. doi:10.1016/S0740-5472(04)00004-2.
- Falba, T., Jofre-Bonet, M., Busch, S., Duchovny, N. and Sindelar, J. (2004). Reduction of quantity smoked predicts future cessation among older smokers. Addiction, 99(1), pp. 93–102. doi:10.1111/j.1360-0443.2004.00574.x.
- Sindelar, J.L., Jofre-Bonet, M., French, M.T. and McLellan, A.T. (2004). Cost-effectiveness analysis of addiction treatment: paradoxes of multiple outcomes. Drug Alcohol Dependence, 73(1), pp. 41–50. doi:10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2003.09.002.
- Jofre-Bonet, M. and Kamara, J. Willingness to Pay for Health Insurance in the Informal Sector of Sierra Leone. PLoS ONE.
- Jofre-Bonet, M., Rossello-Roig, M. and Serra-Sastre, V. (2016). The Blow of Domestic Violence on Children's Health Outcomes. London, UK: Department of Economics, City University London.
- Serra-Sastre, V., Jofre-Bonet, M. and Cubi-Molla, P. (2016). Adaptation to health states: evidence from the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing (ELSA)..
- Costa-i-Font, J., Jofre-Bonet, M. and Grand, J.L. (2015). Vertical Transmission of Overweight: Evidence from English Adoptees.