Dr Matthew Read
Matthew Read is a Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering at City University of London and a member of the Center for Compressor Technology. He recieved the degree of MEng in Aerospace and Aerothermal Engineering from the University of Cambridge, following which he obtained a PhD from Imperial College London. His research interests are in the fields of low temperature power generation, waste heat recovery and compressor and expander technologies. He also has a long standing interest in power-train hybridisation, transmissions and energy storage systems, which was the subject of his Doctoral Thesis.
- PhD, Imperial College London, UK, Nov 2006 – Nov 2010
- MEng, University of Cambridge, UK, Sep 2001 – Jul 2005
- Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering, City, University of London, Mar 2016 – present
- Research Fellow, City, University of London, Jun 2012 – Mar 2016
- EPSRC (2017) Fundamental Studies of organic Rankine Cycle Expanders (NextORC)
The aim of this research is to improve the understanding of ORC expander design and off-design performance through developing, and validating, suitable tools to accurately predict design point scaling and off-design performance of ORC systems. Most notably, this refers to predicting the design and off-design performance of supersonic turbines and two-phase screw expanders. These tools will be validated through suitable experimental tests, and will then be used in steady state, dynamic and techno-economic simulations of different cycle configurations.
- Smith, I.K., Stosic, N. and Read, (2016). Fundamental Investigation Of Whole-Life Power Plant Performance For Enhanced Geothermal Systems. 23rd International Compressor Engineering Conference at Purdue 11 Jul 2017 – 14 Jul 2016, West Lafayette, Indiana.
- Read, M., Stosic, N. and Smith, I. (2017). Operational characteristics of internally geared positive displacement screw machines.
- Read, M.G., Smith, I.K. and Stosic, N. (2016). Optimisation of power plant operating on waste heat of gas ic engine driven power generator.
- Read, , Smith, I.K. and Stosic, N. (2015). Comparison of Organic Rankine Cycle Under Varying Conditions Using Turbine and Twin-Screw Expanders. 3rd International Seminar on ORC Power Systems 12-14 October, Brussels, Belgium.
- Read, M.G., Smith, I.K. and Stosic, N. (2014). Multi-Variable Optimisation of Wet Vapour Organic Rankine Cycles with Twin-Screw Expanders. 22nd International Compressor Engineering Conference 14-17 July, Purdue.
- Read, M., Stosic, N. and Smith, I.K. (2014). Effect of air temperature variation on the performance of wet vapour organic rankine cycle systems.
- Advani, R., Frost, K., Gwashavanhu, E., Linda, S., Rane, S., Read, M. … Sharif, M. (2014). When global design meets European Global Product Realisation-design techniques and challenges.
- Read, M., Smith, I.K. and Stosic, N. (2013). Optimisation of screw expanders for power recovery from low grade heat sources.
- Read, M.G., Smith, I.K. and Stosic, N. (2017). Internally geared screw machines with ported end plates. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 232(1). doi:10.1088/1757-899X/232/1/012058.
- Read, M.G., Smith, I.K. and Stosic, N. (2016). Optimisation of power generation cycles using saturated liquid expansion to maximise heat recovery. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, 231(1), pp. 57–69.
- Read, M., Smith, I., Stosic, N. and Kovacevic, A. (2016). Comparison of organic rankine cycle systems under varying conditions using turbine and twin-screw expanders. Energies, 9(8). doi:10.3390/en9080614.
- Read, M.G., Smith, I.K. and Stosic, N. (2015). Optimisation of two-stage screw expanders for waste heat recovery applications. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 90(1). doi:10.1088/1757-899X/90/1/012058.
- Read, M.G., Smith, R.A. and Pullen, K.R. (2015). Optimisation of flywheel energy storage systems with geared transmission for hybrid vehicles. Mechanism and Machine Theory, 87, pp. 191–209. doi:10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2014.11.001.
- Read, M., Smith, I. and Stosic, N. (2014). Effect of air temperature variation on the performance of wet vapour organic rankine cycle systems. Transactions - Geothermal Resources Council, 38, pp. 705–712.
- Read, M., Stosic, N. and Smith, I.K. (2014). Optimization of Screw Expanders for Power Recovery From Low-Grade Heat Sources. Energy Technology & Policy, 1(1), pp. 131–142. doi:10.1080/23317000.2014.969454.
- Read, M.G., Griffiths, C. and Smith, R.A. (2011). The effect of driving strategy on hybrid regional diesel trains. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 225(2), pp. 236–244. doi:10.1177/09544097JRRT374.
- REad, M.G., Stosic, N.R. and Smith, I.K. (2015). Internal Gear Expander.