Matthew is the programme director for the MSc Advanced Nurse Practitioner and continues to work as a consultant nurse (HIV/Sexual Health) at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust 3-days per week.
Matthew has been an advanced practitioner since 1997, when he became one of the first nurse practitioners in genito-urinary medicine. Since then he has worked in advanced practice roles across London. and in 2005 he became a consultant nurse. In 2010 he was awarded a National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Clinical Doctoral Research Fellowship to undertake his research on sexual risk taking among men who have sex with men.
He currently is leading a national project to develop a curriculum for advanced clinical practitioners in Integrated Sexual Health & HIV between the British Association for Sexual Health & HIV, Faculty of Sexual & Reproductive Health and the National HIV Nurses Association.
Matthew is the current co-chair of the Advanced Practice Committee at Imperial College, Co-chair of the Sexually Transmitted Infections Foundation Committee with BASHH and sits on the Health Education England ACP operationalization committee.
- Post graduate certificate in Higher Education, University of Greenwich, United Kingdom, Sep 2017 – Jul 2018
- Post graduate certificate in Sexual Health, University of Greenwich, United Kingdom, Sep 2011 – Jul 2012
- PhD Public Health, City, University of London, United Kingdom, Feb 2010 – Dec 2014
- MSc Nursing (Advanced Nurse Practitioner), City, University of London, United Kingdom, Jan 2003 – Jul 2007
- BSc (Hons) Professional Studies - Nursing, Thames Valley University, United Kingdom, Jan 2000 – Sep 2002
- Senior Lecturer (Advanced Nursing Practice), City, University London, Sep 2018 – present
- Consultant Nurse (HIV/Sexual Health), Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, Feb 2005 – present
Memberships of professional organisations
- Nursing & Midwifery Council; Royal College of Nursing; British Association for Sexual Health & HIV; National HIV Nurses Association; Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare
Manns V, Grundy-Bowers M & Duso M (2017) What are patient experiences of herpes simplex virus (HSV) health promotion? (MSc dissertation)
Matthew's PhD thesis (2014) explored sexual role and condomless sex in HIV-negative men who have sex with men.
- Men who have sex with men
- Sexual Health/HIV
- Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis
- Imperial College Charity Trustees (2009)
- National Institute for Health Research (2010)
- Vera, J.H., Ngalamika, O., Fox, A., Collins, E. and Grundy-Bowers, M. (2018). Global sexual health education: STIF in Zambia. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 94(1), pp. 2–2. doi:10.1136/sextrans-2017-053448.
- Grundy-Bowers, M.G.B., O'Brian, S. and Harmer, V. (2018). Harmonising nursing and midwifery titles in an acute trust. Nursing Times, 114(1), pp. 36–39.
- Grundy-Bowers, M.C. and Fox, A. (2017). Nurse education in sexual health. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 93(8), pp. 532–532. doi:10.1136/sextrans-2017-053207.
- Grundy-Bowers, M., Hardy, S. and McKeown, E. (2015). Barebacking and sexual position. Sexualities, 18(1-2), pp. 176–194. doi:10.1177/1363460715569140.
- Manns, V., Grundy-Bowers, M. and Duso, M. What are patient experiences of herpes simplex virus (HSV) health promotion? Fourth Joint Conference of the British Association for Sexual Health and HIV (BASHH) with the British HIV Association (BHIVA), 2018.
- British Association for Sexual Health & HIV. (Conference) Edinburgh International Conference Centre, The Exchange Edinburgh, 150 Morrison St, Edinburgh, EH3 8EE (2018).
Paper: What are patient experiences of herpes simplex virus (HSV) health promotion?
Author: Manns, V
Co-authors: Grundy-Bowers, M; Duso, M
- One-day symposium on Queer Theorizations of Bareback in Three National Contexts. University of Warwick (2013).
Description: Oral Presentation: Barebacking & Sexual Role
- University of Greenwich Lunch-time symposium series. London (2013).
Description: Oral Presentation Barebacking & Sexual Role: Key Findings
- School of Health Sciences Doctoral Student Conference. London (2013).
Description: Oral presentation: Barebacking and sexual role: an overview
- Medical Sociology Group. London (2012).
Description: Oral Presentation: Methodological issues when researching men who have sex with men
- Australasian HIV/AIDS Conference. Melbourne (2012).
Description: Poster Presentation: MSM, sexual role and the significance of semen exchange
- Central London Community Health Service HIV Forum. London (2012).
Description: Oral Presentation: Sexual Dysfunction and HIV
- RCN Sexual Health Conference. London (2012).
Description: Poster Presentation: Evaluation of the effectiveness of introducing a research forum
- NHIVNA Conference. Manchester (2012).
Description: Oral Presentation: Barebacking: opinions of HIV positive men who have sex with men
- NHIVNA Conference. Manchester (2012).
Description: Poster Presentation: Circumcision of gay men as HIV prevention. NHIVNA Conference
- BASHH Conference. Brighton (2012).
Description: Poster Presentation: Barebacking: opinions of HIV-negative men who have sex with men
- RCN Sexual Health Conference. London (2010).
Description: Poster Presentation: HIV testing audit