Dr Marios Costa
- Dr Marios Costa
- +44 (0)20 7040 3058
Dr Marios Costa is a Senior Lecturer at the Institute for the Study of European Law (ISEL), City Law School, University of London. He was previously a visiting scholar at the Centre for European Legal Studies (CELS, University of Cambridge).
Marios's principal research interests lie in the area of accountability and transparency at the EU level of governance. In his latest monograph entitled ‘The Accountability Gap in EU law’ (Routlege 2016), he argues that currently the EU institutions along with the Member States are not in a position to control the actions or omissions of the so called independent agencies as well as the various committees and expert groups. Despite recent progress, the EU needs to put forward an acceptable constitutional framework to secure accountability of the decision-making process.
Marios received an LLM in European Union Law and a doctoral degree from the University of Essex.
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
- Master of Law (LL.M) (European), University of Essex, United Kingdom
- Ph.D. in Law, University of Essex, United Kingdom
Memberships of professional organisations
- Member, Cyprus Bar Association (non-practising)
- Costa, M. (2017). Steiner and Woods EU Law (with L, Woods and P, Watson). Oxford University Press.
- Costa, M. (2016). The Accountability Gap in EU law. Routledge.
- Costa, M. and Peers, S. (2016). Beware of Courts Bearing Gifts. Nederlands Juristenblad, 91(16), pp. 1107–1116.
- Costa, M. (2016). 'Reassessing the accountability of EU decentralized agencies: Mind the
Independence Gap', (with S, Peers). European Public Law, 22(4), pp. 645–665.
- Costa, M. (2012). 'The accountability of delegated and implementing Acts after the Treaty of Lisbon' (with S, Peers). European Law Journal, 18(3), pp. 427–460.
- Costa, M. (2012). 'Judicial review of EU acts after the Treaty of Lisbon' (with S, Peers). European Constitutional Law Review, 8(1), pp. 82–104. doi:10.1017/S1574019612000053.
- Costa, M. (2011). 'Public access to European Parliament, Council and Commission documents: are documents really accessible?' .
- Costa, M. and Peers, S. (2016). Access to justice and the role of the court of justice: The case of private litigants. London, UK: The City Law School.
- 'Accountability through transparency and the role of the Court of Justice'. Centre for European Legal Studies, Faculty of law, University of Cambridge (2015).
- European Agencies' Accountability Revisited. Socio-legal Studies Association Annual Conference, University of Sussex, Sussex, UK (2011).
- Do Articles 230 and 234 of the European Community Treaty provide a complete system of remedies? De Montfort University, Leicester, UK (2009).
- Accountability Deficits within the Union: The Cresson Case. Society of Legal Scholars Annual Conference, London School of Economics and Political Science, London, UK (2008).
- European Accountability: The Conceptual Framework. Socio-legal Studies Association Annual Conference, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK (2008).
- Governance and Transparency in the European Union. School of Law Seminars, University of Essex, Essex, UK (2008).
- 'Beware of the Courts Bearing Gifts'. The Dutch House of Representatives (2016).
- 'The EU’s Financial Supervisory Authorities: Mind the Accountability Gap'. (2014). EU Law Analysis Blog
- 'Accountability and Defenestration: The Dalli Saga'. (2015). EU Law Analysis Blog