Dr Maria Paula Prates
Maria Paula is Professor Adjunt of Universidade Federal de Ciências da Saúde de Porto Alegre/ Brazil, where she is research lead of Laboratório de Alteridades. She teaches at Undergraduate and Masters level as well as conducting and supporting a range of research projects. Her key interests are anthropology, indigenous ethnology, guarani-mbyá people, body and health concepts.
Maria Paula initially worked and studied at Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul where her degree and PhD were in anthropology. Her key interest at doctoral level was about the concepts of body and personhood among the guarani-mbyá. She studied for a period in the Laboratoire d'anthropologie sociale (Collège de France/ École des Hautes Étudies en Sciences Sociales) , in Paris/ France during her Phd.
Currently she is Research Fellow (Newton International Fellowship/ British Academy) at City University of London, where she is working with Professor Christine McCourt.
- PhD Anthropology, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, Mar 2009 – Oct 2013
- Master Anthropology, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, Mar 2007 – Mar 2009
- Graduate Social Sciences, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, Mar 2000 – Dec 2006
- Chercheuse invitée, Collège de France, Dec 2011 – Dec 2013
- Health policies and sociocultural diversity: a comparative study on childbirth services, Newton Fund, Jun 2018 – Jun 2020
English (can read, speak, understand spoken and peer review), French (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), Guarani (can understand spoken), Portuguese (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review) and Spanish - Latin American (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).
- Americas - Latin
- Prates, M.P. (2017). GLOWCZEWSKI, Barbara. Devires totêmicos: cosmopolítica do sonho. Tradução: Jamille Pinheiro e Abrahão de Oliveira Santos. São Paulo: n-1 edições, 2015. 352 p. Edição bilíngue. Horizontes Antropologicos, 23(47), pp. 442–445. doi:10.1590/S0104-71832017000100020.