Dr Margaret Carran
Margaret Carran is a Senior Lecturer at City University London who is currently actively researching how the law and regulation can actively protect minors from gambling related harm and how employability of undergraduates can be improved in the ever changing global markets.
Margaret was instrumental in the development of the Graduate Market and Employability Module that aims to empower graduates to become inspiring professionals and leaders in their fields for which she was awarded the University Excellence Award in May 2014.
Margaret is committed to academic excellence in both her teaching and research and is actively working to ensure that all her students receive the highest quality educational training.
- Certificate in Online Tutoring, City University London, United Kingdom, May 2008
- LLM in Corporate and Commercial Law, Queen Mary University of London, United Kingdom, Sep 2005 – Jun 2006
- LLB, University of London, United Kingdom, Sep 1997 – Jun 2000
- Certificate in Political Studies, Lower Silesian School, Poland, May 1996
- Senior Lecturer, City University London, Sep 2007 – present
- Associate Dean (Law), Kaplan Holborn College, Jan 2005 – Sep 2007
- Lecturer in Law, Kaplan Holborn College, Sep 2003 – Jan 2005
Memberships of Professional Organisations
- Socio-Legal Studies Association, Jun 2012 – present
Regulatory theory; gambling regulation; public health and protection of adolescents
- Carran, M. (2014). A Critical Review of the Recommendation as a Tool to Enhance Protection of Children from Gambling Related Harm - Age Verification Online. Regulating Online Gambling in the EU - Recommendation 2014/478/EU on Player Protection - Where Do We Go From Here? 25 November, Paris, France.
- Carran, M. (2013). How adolescents differentiate between social gaming and true forms of gambling – preliminary findings from qualitative focus groups carried out with 14-17 years old in secondary schools in London. 15th International Conference on Gambling and Risk Taking. 27-31 May, Las Vegas, USA.
- Carran, M. (2012). Myths and Truth of Online Gambling. Challenges and Opportunities of Online Entertainmnent 9-10 July, Barcelona Spain.
- Carran, M. Regulation of adolescents’ gambling – too narrow approach. International Law Conference Athens.
- Carran, M. To what extent does criminalisation of under-age gambling shape online access and children’s perceptions and behaviour. Cumberland Place, Windsor.
- Carran, M. (2016). A holistic approach to underage gaming. Gambling Insider pp. 48–49.
- Carran, M. and Griffiths, M. (2015). Gambling and Social Gambling: An Exploratory study of young people's perceptions and behaviour. Aloma, 33(1), pp. 101–113.
- Carran, M. (2015). Alastair Hudson, Great Debates in Equity and Trusts. The Law Teacher, 49:1, pp. 133–136. doi:10.1080/03069400.2015.1002225.
- Carran, M. (2013). Minors and gambling regulation. European Journal of Risk Regulation, 4(4), pp. 509–520.
- Carran, M. (2013). Regulation of adolescents’ gambling – too narrow approach. Public Law and Social Human Rights pp. 43–58.
- Carran, M. (2010). Cohabitation: Schemes on Hold in England and Wales. International Family Law, June (IFL 125-230), pp. 199–202.
- Carran, M. Challenges and regulation of adolescents’ gambling.
PhD in Commercial Law with elements of Psychology