- Lucy Myers
- +44 (0)20 7040 3250
Lucy is a Speech and Language Therapist who specialises in working with school aged children with language impairment. She joined the School of Health Sciences in 2014 undertaking a maternity cover post as a lecturer in speech and language therapy.
Lucy has worked as a Speech and Language Therapist in London for over 20 years. She has specialised in working with children with language and communication needs within mainstream primary and secondary schools. Lucy also worked as a Senior Lecturer at City university between 2003 and 2011. Lucy also carries out work for the Health and Care Professions Council as an Education Partner.
- MSc Human Communication
- BSc Speech and Psychology
Lecturer in Speech and Language Therapy City University, September 2014-present
Bank Specialist Speech and Language Therapist, Central London Community Healthcare Trust January 2013 - present
Visiting Clinical Tutor, City University, 2011-2013
London E-Learning development Project, City University 30 May 2012 30 July 2012 -
Senior Lecturer in Communication Disabilities, City University, 2009-2011
Lecturer in Communication Disabilities, City University, 2002-2009
Senior Specialist Speech and Language Therapist, Hammersmith and Fulham Primary Healthcare Trust, 2002-2003
Specialist Speech and Language Therapist, Newham Education Authority, 1999-2002
Paediatric Speech and Language Therapist, Tower Hamlets NHS Healthcare Trust, 1997-1999
Speech and Language Therapist, Barking, Havering and Brentwood NHS Trust, 1994-1997
- Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists
- Health and Care Professions Council
Lucy has carried out research into language and literacy difficulties and the life experiences of young adults with language and communication needs.
- Lesniak, A., Myers, L. and Dodd, B. (2014). The English phonological awareness skills of 5;0–6;0-year-old Polish–English, Portuguese–English bilingual speakers and English monolingual children. Speech, Language and Hearing, 17(1), pp. 37–48. doi:10.1179/2050572813y.0000000029.
- Myers, L., Davies-Jones, C., Chiat, S., Joffe, V. and Botting, N. (2011). 'A place where I can be me': A role for social and leisure provision to support young people with language impairment. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders, 46(6), pp. 739–750. doi:10.1111/j.1460-6984.2011.00048.x.
- Harris, J., Botting, N., Myers, L. and Dodd, B. (2011). The relationship between speech impairment, phonological awareness and early literacy development. Australian Journal of Learning Difficulties, 16(2), pp. 111–125. doi:10.1080/19404158.2010.515379.
- Myers, L. and Botting, N. (2008). Literacy in the mainstream inner-city school: Its relationship to spoken language. Child Language Teaching and Therapy, 24(1), pp. 95–114. doi:10.1177/0265659007084570.
Acting Programme Director BSc Speech and Language Therapy http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/speech-therapy/2015
SL1003 - Lifespan Studies (Social Development)
SL3008 - Professional Studies
SL2003 - Developmental Psychology (Literacy Development)
SLM003 - Developmental Psychology (Social Development)
SLM005 - Professional Studies
HCM003 - Cognitive and Communication Impairments
HCM010 - Identity, Inclusion and living with disability and deafness (Module Leader)
Other Teaching Expertise
Developmental Language Impairment
Literacy Development and Disorders
Evidence Based Practice
Contexts of Speech and Language Therapy