Dr Leonie Fleischmann
- Dr Leonie Fleischmann
- +44 (0)20 7040 0463
Dr Fleischmann joined the Department as a lecturer in September 2016, having completed her PhD in the Department in December 2015.
She is a 2017-2018 non-resident Research Fellow at the International Centre for Non-Violent Conflict.
Dr Fleischmann's work looks at the role of social movements, civil resistance campaigns and human rights activism in conflict and peace building, with a particular focus on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. She aims to understand how activism itself transforms and how it influences the trajectory of a conflict or peace process.
Prior to joining City, Dr Fleischmann taught in the fields of International Politics and International Development at SOAS, King's College London and the University of Roehampton.
She has experience in written and television media commentaty
- PhD, City University London, London, United Kingdom
- MA International Relations, King's College London, London, United Kingdom
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Higher Education, City University London, London, United Kingdom
- Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- The role of civil society in conflict and peace building
- Nonviolent resistance
- Social Movement Theory
- Human Rights activism
- Transformation of Israeli Peace/Anti-occupation Activism
- Civil resistance and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- The role of Human Rights in conflict and peace building
- Aran, A. and Fleischmann, L. (2018). Framing and Foreign Policy—Israel's Response to the Arab Uprisings. International Studies Review. doi:10.1093/isr/viy055.
- Fleischmann, L. (2017). Smadar Lavie. Wrapped in the Flag of Israel: Mizrahi Single Mothers and Bureaucratic Torture. New York; Oxford: Berghahn Books, 2014. Peace & Change, 42(1), pp. 162–164. doi:10.1111/pech.12223.
- Fleischmann, L. (2016). Beyond Paralysis: The Reframing of Israeli Peace Activism Since the Second Intifada. Peace & Change, 41(3), pp. 354–385. doi:10.1111/pech.12162.
Programme Director, MA International Politics and Human Rigthts
IP3025 Global Ethics
IP3017 Final Year Research Project
IPM117 Global Ethics
IMP118 Human Rights and the Transformation of World Politics
SAM005 Qualitative Research Methods