Dr Koen Slootmaeckers
- Dr Koen Slootmaeckers
- +44 (0)20 7040 0197
Koen Slootmaeckers is a lecturer in International Politics at the Department of International Politics at City, University of London. He has a background in sociology (BSc and MSc from Ghent University (Belgium)) and holds a PhD in Political Science from Queen Mary University of London. Koen is also a free research associated with the research group Leuven International and European Studies (LINES) at the KU Leuven (Belgium).
His research deals with the EU enlargement process and sexual politics in candidate countries. More specifically, Koen has studied the EU accession of Serbia and how this process affects LGBT politics and activism. More generally, Koen’s research interest is the ‘(international) political sociology of the Other’, a topic which he approaches from different perspectives, including European studies, nationalism and conflict studies, neo-colonialism, gender and sexuality studies, with a specific interest in issues dealing with masculinities and LGBT issues.
His work has been widely published, including a (co-)edited volume ‘EU Enlargement and Gay Politics’ (Palgrave 2016; with Heleen Touquet and Peter Vermeersch), and articles in, amongst others, East European Politics, Politics, Contemporary Southeastern Europe, Journal of Homosexuality, and Europe-Asia Studies
- PhD in Political Science, Queen Mary University of London, United Kingdom, 2018
- MSc in Sociology, Ghent Univeristy, Belgium, 2011
- BSc in Sociology, Ghent University, Belgium, 2010
Dutch; Flemish (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review) and English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).
- Europe - Eastern
Koen is interested in sexuality politics in Europe. He particularly focusses on the promotion of and resistance to LGBT equality as part of the EU accession process. Having completed a thesis on the LGBT rights in Serbia, Koen is looking to analyse the boom of Pride events in the Western Balkan region. He seeks to explore the different tactical choices made by activists in organising these events, which affect their aesthetics and their politics. He is furthermore also interested in exploring how transnational links influence these decisions.
- Slootmaeckers, K., Touquet, H. and Vermeersch, P. (Eds.), (2016). The EU Enlargement and Gay Politics: The Impact of Eastern Enlargement on Rights, Activism and Prejudice. London: Palgrave.
- Slootmaeckers, K., Touquet, H. and Vermeersch, P. (2016). Introduction: EU Enlargement and LGBT Rights—Beyond Symbolism? The EU Enlargement and Gay Politics (pp. 1–16). Palgrave Macmillan UK. ISBN 978-1-137-48092-7.
- Slootmaeckers, K., Touquet, H. and Vermeersch, P. (2016). The Co-evolution of EU’s Eastern Enlargement and LGBT Politics: An Ever Gayer Union? The EU Enlargement and Gay Politics (pp. 19–44). Palgrave Macmillan UK. ISBN 978-1-137-48092-7.
- Pavasović Trošt, T. and Slootmaeckers, K. Religion, Homosexuality and Nationalism in the Western Balkans: The Role of Religious Institutions in Defining the Nation. Religious and Sexual Nationalisms in Central and Eastern Europe (pp. 154–180). Brill.
- Slootmaeckers, K. (2017). Tactical Europeanisation: Why Serbia’s decision to appoint an openly gay PM is no great leap forward for LGBT rights. LSE EUROPP European Politics and Policy Blog.
- Slootmaeckers, K. (2017). Serbia’s New Lesbian Prime Minister: A Symbolic Step Forward? Balkanist.
- Slootmaeckers, K. (2014). Belgrade Pride 2014: Where There Is a Need, There Is Tolerance? Balkanist.
- Slootmaeckers, K. (2014). Belgrade Pride 2014: Another blow to the head or will it go ahead? LSEE Research on SEE Blog.
- Meuleman, B., Abts, K., Slootmaeckers, K. and Meeusen, C. (2019). Differentiated threat and the genesis of prejudice: Group-specific antecedents of homonegativity, Islamophobia, anti-Semitism and anti-immigrant attitudes. Social Problems, 66(2), pp. 222–244.
- Slootmaeckers, K. (2019). Nationalism as competing masculinities: Homophobia as a technology of othering for hetero- and homonationalism. Theory and Society, 48(2), pp. 239–265. doi:10.1007/s11186-019-09346-4.
- Slootmaeckers, K. and O'Dwyer, C. (2018). Europeanization of Attitudes Towards Homosexuality: Exploring the Role of Education in the Transnational Diffusion of Values. Innovation / Innovation: The European Journal of Social Science Research, 31(4), pp. 406–428. doi:10.1080/13511610.2018.1536969.
- Slootmaeckers, K. and Sircar, I. (2018). Marrying European and Domestic Politics? The Marriage Referendum in Croatia and Value-Based Euroscepticism. Europe - Asia Studies, 70(3), pp. 321–344. doi:10.1080/09668136.2018.1457136.
- Slootmaeckers, K. (2017). The litmus test of pride: analysing the emergence of the Belgrade “Ghost” pride in the context of EU accession. East European Politics, 33(4), pp. 517–535. doi:10.1080/21599165.2017.1367290.
- Meuleman, B., Abts, K., Slootmaeckers, K. and Meeusen, C. (2017). Gedifferentieerde dreiging en de verklaring van vooroordelen: Anti-immigranten attitudes, islamofobie, antisemitisme en homonegativiteit vergeleken. Sociologos, 38(1-2), pp. 49–77.
- Adriaensen, J., Kerremans, B. and Slootmaeckers, K. (2015). Editors’ Introduction to the Thematic Issue: Mad about Methods? Teaching Research Methods in Political Science. Journal of Political Science Education, 11(1), pp. 1–10. doi:10.1080/15512169.2014.985017.
- Ulbricht, A., Sircar, I. and Slootmaeckers, K. (2015). Queer to be kind: Exploring Western media discourses about the “Eastern bloc” during the 2007 and 2014 Eurovision Song Contests. Contemporary Southeastern Europe, 2, pp. 155–172.
- Slootmaeckers, K. and Lievens, J. (2014). Cultural Capital and Attitudes Toward Homosexuals: Exploring the Relation Between Lifestyles and Homonegativity. Journal of Homosexuality, 61(7), pp. 962–979. doi:10.1080/00918369.2014.870848.
- Slootmaeckers, K., Kerremans, B. and Adriaensen, J. (2014). Too Afraid to learn: Attitudes towards statistics as a barrier to learning statistics and to acquiring quantitative skills. Politics, 34(2), pp. 191–200. doi:10.1111/1467-9256.12042.
- Slootmaeckers, K. From 'Strategic Accession' to 'Tactical Europeanisation'? The Promotion of and Resistance to LGBT Equality in Serbia’s European Integration Process. (PhD Thesis)