Dr Kisorthman Vimalakanthan
Dr Kisorthman Vimalakanthan obtained a MEng in Aerospace Engineering from the Queen Mary Univerisity of London in 2010, and a PhD in Wind turbine Aerodynamics at Cranfield University in 2014. His research specifically focused on computational modelling of Passive Flow Controls for Muti MegaWatt Wind turbines. On completion of this PhD, he worked as an Aero-Thermal Engineer for CORAC modelling highspeed radial turbines for two years. He worked as an Aerodynamics Researcher at the energy institute for Netherlands (ECN) for three years before joining the Thermal Power team at City University of London in early 2019 to work on the EPSRC funded project NextORC, investigating fundamental aspects of expanders for organic Rankine cycles (Grant number: EP/P009131/1).
As a researcher, his focus is on the development of computational models for flow control and turbomachinery applications related to renewables and low- and medium-temperature heat sources, such as solar, biomass, geothermal and waste heat.
- PhD, Cranfield University, United Kingdom, Jul 2010 – Jan 2014
- MEng Aerospace, Queen Mary University of London, United Kingdom, Sep 2006 – Jul 2010
- Aerospace Researcher, Energy Research Centre of the Netherlands, Jul 2016 – Jan 2019
- Aerodynamics Engineer, Corac Group (United Kingdom), Jul 2014 – Jul 2016
- Vimalakanthan, K., Read, M. and Kovacevic, A. (2020). Performance Prediction and Optimisation of Twin-Screw Expander. The IIR Rankine 2020 International Conference – Advances in Cooling, Heating and Power Generation 27-31 July, United Kingdom.
- Vimalakanthan, K., Read, M. and Kovacevic, A. (2020). Numerical Modelling and Experimental Validation of Twin-Screw Expanders. Energies, 13(18), pp. 4700–4700. doi:10.3390/en13184700.
- Vimalakanthan, K., Caboni, M., Schepers, J.G., Pechenik, E. and Williams, P. (2018). Aerodynamic analysis of Ampyx’s airborne wind energy system. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1037, pp. 62008–62008. doi:10.1088/1742-6596/1037/6/062008.
- Vimalakanthan, K., Schepers, J.G., Shen, W.Z., Rahimi, H., Micallef, D., Simao Ferreira, C.J. … Klein, L. (2018). Evaluation of different methods of determining the angle of attack on wind turbine blades under yawed inflow conditions. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1037, pp. 22028–22028. doi:10.1088/1742-6596/1037/2/022028.