Karin joined the School of Health Sciences as a lecturer/practitioner in school nursing in April 2010. She has been working fulltime in the Early Years Division as a lecturer in public health since August 2012.
Karin initially trained as an adult nurse at University College Hospital London, and then specialised in women's health at Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital. Following a career break, Karin returned to nursing in 2001. She has since worked as a school nurse in a number of London boroughs and as a team leader. Karin undertook a 2 year secondment as a health adviser with the Healthy Schools team in Islington and has also worked for a multi-agency parenting service in Hackney. Her particular interests are school nursing, parenting, and action learning facilitation.
- MA Psychology of Religion, Heythrop College, University of London
- PG Certificate in Academic Practice, City University London
- BSc Hons Specialist practice - school nursing, London Metropolitan University
- BA Hons History of Art and German, Sussex University
- Honorary contract with Barts Health, working 2 days a month with the school nursing team in Tower Hamlets, providing clinical supervision, action learning and training.
- Link Lecturer, Barts Health.
- NMC - Nursing & Midwifery Council
- CPHVA - Community Practitioner and Health Visitor Association
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
Joint winner - Teaching Recognition Award 2010-2011 for NM1729 Simulated practice: public health
- MacKenzie, K.A., Abbott, S., Thomas, N., Apau, D., Benato, R. and Hicks, S. (2011). An educational partnership in health promotion for pre-registration nurses and further education college students. Primary Health Care Research and Development, Published online November 2011 . doi:10.1017/S1463423611000569.
Modules taught on:
- NM3909/NMM123 Public Health & Society
- NM3212/NMM083 Practice based module
- NM3908/NMM086 Evidence for practice
- NMM080 Specialist practice teacher development programme
- NM1729 Simulated practice: public health Care Closer to Home - pre-registration community placement
- 19th Biennial School Nursing International Conference. (Workshop) San Francisco State University (2017).
Paper: Oral presentation: The Challenges of Educating School Nurses in the UK
Author: MacKenzie, K
Co-authors: Jameson, M
- Focussing on health - streamlining the school nurses' contribution to safeguarding practice in Tower Hamlets. Brighton (2012).
Description: Williams, R and Mackenzie, K (2012) CPHVA Conference The future of public health nursing 7- 8/11/12