Dr Jutta Tobias Mortlock
- Dr Jutta Tobias Mortlock
- +44 (0)20 7040 3492
Jutta Tobias Mortlock, PhD, is a social psychologist with over 20 years of work experience in organisational development and capacity-building in six countries on three continents. Jutta’s research interest is focused on behaviour change initiatives in workplaces geared at generating sustainable wellbeing and performance. She teaches and consults on workplace mindfulness and leadership and is a popular keynote speaker on the link between wellbeing and performance.
Jutta also serves as an advisor to The Mindfulness Initiative, a UK think tank dedicated to investigating the benefits, opportunities, and challenges in bringing mindfulness training into public life. Jutta's work has been published in a number of leading academic journals such as Journal of Business Venturing, Management Accounting Research, Journal of Learning and Instruction, and in the International Journal of Operations and Production Management (in which her work was awarded the 2018 best paper award). Jutta has also featured in the popular press, including in The Sunday Times, The Financial Times, on BBC Radio 4 and the BBC World Service, and in the 2015 TV documentary “The Mindful Revolution”.
In her life before academia, Jutta worked for nearly a decade as a consultant for Arthur Andersen and several other consultancies in the UK, partnering with firms such as Goldman Sachs, Nomura and McKinsey on IT and strategy projects. She learned the art and science of lobbying in the public interest as the post-doctorial James Marshall Public Policy Fellow for the American Psychological Association and the Society for the Study of Social Issues during Washington, DC's "glory days" when President Obama introduced the Health Care Reform bill.
Jutta is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (RSA), holds a psychotherapeutic counselling qualification from the University of Cambridge, and has volunteered in US prisons for the Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP), a volunteer-run conflict transformation program. She lives in Surrey with her family and a pushy poodle.
English (can peer review), French (can write) and German (can peer review).
- Guo, L., Tobias, J., Bendoly, E. and Hu, Y. (2017). Different departments, different drivers. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 37(8), pp. 1031–1053. doi:10.1108/ijopm-01-2016-0046.
- Tobias Mortlock, J. and Carter, A. (2019). Mindfulness in the military: Improving mental fitness in the UK Armed Forces using next generation team mindfulness training. Brighton: Institute of Employment Studies.
- Tobias Mortlock, J. (2019). Achtsamkeitstraining für die Firma? Gerne, aber bitte nachhaltig. Nachhaltiges Management
Nachhaltigkeit als exzellenten Managementansatz entwickeln (pp. 439–457). Heidelberg, Germany: Springer Gabler. ISBN 978-3-662-57693-9.
- Tobias Mortlock, J. (2019). Audio-guided Mindful-Based Social Emotional Learning (MBSEL) training in school classrooms: The Inner Explorer Program. In Ivtzan, I. (Ed.), Handbook of Mindfulness-Based Programmes: Mindfulness Interventions from Education to Health and Therapy London: Routledge. ISBN 978-1-138-24094-0.
- Tobias Mortlock, J. and Robinson, J. (2019). Mindful leadership. In Ivtzan, I. (Ed.), Handbook of Mindfulness-Based Programmes: Mindfulness Interventions from Education to Health and Therapy London: Routledge. ISBN 978-1-138-24094-0.
- Bakosh, L.S., Tobias Mortlock, J.M., Querstret, D. and Morison, L. (2018). Audio-guided mindfulness training in schools and its effect on academic attainment: Contributing to theory and practice. Learning and Instruction, 58, pp. 34–41. doi:10.1016/j.learninstruc.2018.04.012.
- Robinson, J., Sinclair, M., Tobias, J. and Choi, E. (2017). More Dynamic Than You Think: Hidden Aspects of Decision-Making. Administrative Sciences, 7(3), pp. 23–23. doi:10.3390/admsci7030023.
- Bakosh, L.S., Snow, R.M., Tobias, J.M., Houlihan, J.L. and Barbosa-Leiker, C. (2016). Maximizing Mindful Learning: Mindful Awareness Intervention Improves Elementary School Students’ Quarterly Grades. Mindfulness, 7(1), pp. 59–67. doi:10.1007/s12671-015-0387-6.
- Choi, E. and Tobias, J. (2015). Mind the Gap: The Link Between Mindfulness and Performance at Work Needs More Attention. Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 8(4), pp. 629–633. doi:10.1017/iop.2015.90.
- Melnyk, S.A., Bititci, U., Platts, K., Tobias, J. and Andersen, B. (2014). Is performance measurement and management fit for the future? Management Accounting Research, 25(2), pp. 173–186. doi:10.1016/j.mar.2013.07.007.
- Tobias, J.M., Mair, J. and Barbosa-Leiker, C. (2013). Toward a theory of transformative entrepreneuring: Poverty reduction and conflict resolution in Rwanda's entrepreneurial coffee sector. Journal of Business Venturing, 28(6), pp. 728–742. doi:10.1016/j.jbusvent.2013.03.003.
- Tobias, J.M. and Boudreaux, K.C. (2011). Entrepreneurship and Conflict Reduction in the Post-Genocide Rwandan Coffee Industry. Journal of Small Business & Entrepreneurship, 24(2), pp. 217–242. doi:10.1080/08276331.2011.10593535.
- Tobias, J., Ingrams, A. and Tobias Mortlock, J. (2010). Creating a Different Kind of Innovator: Using health communication theory in entrepreneurship education to foster behavior change among entrepreneurship students in sub-Saharan Africa. Journal of Education for International Development, 4(3), pp. 1–20.