Dr Justin Needle
- Dr Justin Needle
- +44 (0)20 7040 3240
Justin joined City University London in 2006 and is currently Senior Lecturer in Health Services Research & Policy.
Until 2012 he was co-director of City's Centre for Allied Health Professions (AHP) Research, which carried out research into policy, practice and workforce issues relating to the AHPs, and director of the MSc Allied Health Professions Clinical Leadership programme.
He is currently programme director of the MSc Health Policy and the BSc Professional Practice. He also teaches on the MSc Health Management programme.
Justin holds degrees in philosophy from the Universities of Cambridge and Dundee, and an MSc in social policy from the London School of Economics (LSE). Before coming to City in 2006 he worked at the LSE, having previously pursued a career in publishing.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (City University London)
- MSc in Social Policy and Planning (London School of Economics and Political Science)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Economics (Birkbeck College, University of London)
- PhD in Philosophy (University of Dundee)
- MPhil in Logic, Text and Information Technology (University of Dundee)
- MA (Hons.) in Philosophy (University of Cambridge)
Languages: French, German
- Group lead, Health Policy, Leadership and Management Group (Centre for Health Services Research)
- Chair of the Programme Committees for the following programmes within SHS: MSc Health Policy, MSc Health Management, MSc Health Services Research, MRes Clinical Research, Masters in Public Health, BSc Professional Practice
- Member, Board of Studies (SHS)
- Member, Postgraduate Forum (SHS)
- Member, International Committee (SHS)
- Member, Learning and Teaching Committee (SHS)
- Panel member, Programme Approval and Review Committee (SHS)
- Member, Programme Directors Forum (University)
Justin has been involved, with Professor Roland Petchey and other colleagues, in several externally funded research projects relating to the experience of allied health professionals (AHPs) who undertake management roles, the contribution of AHPs to health promotion and the organisation of the European AHP workforce.
He has also published in a number of other areas, including optometrists' scope of therapeutic practice, the use of economic evaluation within public health, and home treatment in mental health.
- Health policy and policy analysis
- Policy, practice and workforce issues relating to the Allied Health Professions (UK and Europe)
- Systematic reviewing and evidence synthesis
- 2009-2011: Allied Health Professionals (AHPs) and Management (NIHR SDO) (co-investigator)
- 2007-2009: The Role of Allied Health Professionals in Health Promotion (NIHR SDO) (co-investigator)
- 2006-2007: Helping Hands? The Allied Health Professions In Europe (Nuffield Trust)
- 2006: Scope of therapeutic practice: a survey of members of the College of Optometrists (The College of Optometrists) (co-investigator)
- Professor Roland Petchey (City University London)
- Professor John Lawrenson
- Dr Katerina Hilari
- Professor David Sims (Cass Business School)
- Dr Angela Scriven (Brunel University)
Thesis title: An investigation into the role of the consultant therapeutic radiographer
Thesis title: Assessing public attitudes towards the health system of Saudi Arabia
Thesis title: What can end-of-life care policy in England learn from international experience?
- Johnson, S., Needle, J.J., Bindman, J.P. and Thornicroft, G. (2008). Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment in Mental Health. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-67875-9.
- McDaid, D. and Needle, J.J. (2009). What use has been made of economic evaluation in public health? A systematic review of the literature. In Dawson, S., Morris, Z. and Morris, Z.S. (Eds.), Future Public Health: Burdens, Challenges and Opportunities (pp. 248–264). Basingstoke: Palgrave MacMillan. ISBN 978-0-230-01359-9.
- Johnson, S. and Needle, J.J. (2008). Introduction. In Johnson, S., Needle, J.J., Bindman, J.P. and Thornicroft, G. (Eds.), Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment in Mental Health (pp. 3–8). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-67875-9.
- Johnson, S. and Needle, J.J. (2008). Crisis resolution teams: rationale and core model. In Johnson, S., Needle, J., Bindman, J.P. and Thornicroft, G. (Eds.), Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment in Mental Health (pp. 67–84). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-67875-9.
- Lawrenson, J.G., Needle, J.J. and Petchey, R.P. (2007). A national survey of the scope of therapeutic practice of optometrists in the UK. Drug Utilisation Research Group (UK & Ireland) Conference: Capturing Health Gain—Do We Need A Bigger Net Or Smaller Mesh? 18 January, The Royal Society Of Medicine, London, UK.
- Evans, J.C., Hirani, S.P. and Needle, J.J. (2019). Nutritional and Post-Transplantation Outcomes of Enteral versus Parenteral Nutrition in Pediatric Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation: A Systematic Review of Randomized and Nonrandomized Studies. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, 25(8). doi:10.1016/j.bbmt.2019.02.023.
- Evans, J., Needle, J.J. and Hirani, S.P. (2019). Early outcomes of gastrostomy feeding in paediatric allogenic bone marrow transplantation: A retrospective cohort study. Clinical Nutrition ESPEN, 31, pp. 71–79. doi:10.1016/j.clnesp.2019.02.014.
- Aquino, M.R.J.V., Olander, E.K., Needle, J.J. and Bryar, R.M. (2016). Midwives’ and health visitors’ collaborative relationships: A systematic review of qualitative and quantitative studies. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 62, pp. 193–206. doi:10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2016.08.002.
- Hilari, K., Needle, J.J. and Harrison, K. (2012). What are the important factors in health-related quality of life for people with aphasia? A systematic review. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, In press.
- Needle, J.J., Petchey, R. and Lawrenson, J.G. (2008). A survey of the scope of therapeutic practice by UK optometrists and their attitudes to an extended prescribing role. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt, 28(3), pp. 193–203. doi:10.1111/j.1475-1313.2008.00551.x.
- Lawrenson, J.G., Needle, J.J. and Petchey, R.P. (2007). What is the current status of therapeutic practice in the UK? Optician pp. 20–26.
- Needle, J.J., Petchey, R.P., Benson, J., Scriven, A., Lawrenson, J.G. and Hilari, K. (2011). The allied health professions and health promotion: a systematic literature review and narrative synthesis. Final report. Southampton: NIHR Service Delivery and Organisation programme.
- Needle, J.J., Petchey, R.P., Benson, J., Scriven, A., Lawrenson, J. and Hilari, K. (2011). The role of allied health professionals in health promotion..
- Needle, J.J., Lawrenson, J.G. and Petchey, R.P. (2007). Scope of Therapeutic Practice: A Survey of UK Optometrists. London: City University London.
- McDaid, D. and Needle, J.J. (2006). Economic Evaluation and Public Health: Mapping the Literature. London: London School of Economics.
- Programme director: MSc Health Policy (http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/health-policy)
- Programme director: BSc Professional Practice (http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/professional-practice)
- CH3001 Work Based Project (module leader)
- CH3003 Integrated Working (module leader)
- CH3004 Management, Leadership and Change (module leader)
- CH3005 Public Policy and Law (module leader)
- CH3008 Critical and Reflective Practice (Dissertation module) (module leader, supervisor)
- NM3271 Literature Review Project (Dissertation module) (supervisor)
- HS3061 Dissertation (supervisor)
- HPM001 Politics, Power and the Health Policy Process (module leader)
- HPM002 Health and Society (module leader)
- HPM004 Health Systems Organisation, Financing and Performance (module leader)
- HPM003 Health Policy in Britain (module leader)
- HMM021 Effective Commissioning (commissioning policy and theory)
- PHM004 Social Determinants of Health (international policy context of health inequalities)
- HRM001 Introduction to Research Methods and Applied Data Analysis (systematic reviewing)
- HRM011 Introduction to Research Methods and Applied Data Analysis (Online module) (systematic reviewing)
- APM002 SHS MSc Dissertation Module (supervisor)
- CRM003 MRes Dissertation (supervisor)
Other Educational Activites
- PhD supervisor (3 students)
- Internal PhD examiner, Department of Sociology (Centre for Food Policy), 2011 and 2015
- External PhD examiner, University of Surrey (Department of Health Care Management and Policy), 2012 and 2014
- Mentor, Systematic review mentoring programme (for SHS academic staff)
- Project lead, Comparative Health Care Systems Summer School (for the University of Ohio)
- Personal Tutor for BSc Adult Nursing and MSc Health Management students
Other Teaching Expertise
- Health policy analysis and the policy process (and its relationship to political/power issues)
- Health policy in the UK
- Comparative analysis of health systems (international approaches to e.g. the organisation, delivery and financing of health systems; health system performance measurement; resource allocation, priority setting and rationing)
- Systematic reviewing, evidence synthesis and critical appraisal
- The Allied Health Professions: policy, practice and workforce issues.
- Principles of health economic evaluation.
- The allied health professions and health promotion. (2011).
Description: Needle JJ, Petchey RP. Presentation to the Research Forum for Allied Health Profession.
- What are the important factors in health-related quality of life for people with aphasia? A systematic review. University of Reading (2011).
Description: Hilari K, Needle JJ, Harrison, K, Biennial International Conference of the British Aphasiology Society. (6-8 September 2011)
- The Role of Allied Health Professionals in Health Promotion. Hatfiled (2008).
Description: seminar presentation to the Centre for Research in Primary and Community Care (CRIPACC), University of Hertfordshire
- Allied Health Professionals' contribution to health promotion: the challenge of defining the boundaries. Turin, Italy (2008).
Description: Scriven A, Needle JJ, Petchey RP, Lawrenson JG, Hilari K., 8th IUHPE European Conference on Health Promotion and Health Education.
- Helping hands? The Allied Health Professions (AHPs) and European policy development. Athens, Greece (2008).
Description: Petchey RP, Needle JJ, European Health Management Association (EHMA) Annual Conference (The Politics of Health).
- 'Helping Hands? The Allied Health Professions in Europe: A reconnaissance. London (2008).
Description: Needle JJ, Petchey RP, Presentation to the Health Workforce Research Network, held at the King's Fund.
- Planning and managing an EU workforce in the NHS. (2008).
Description: Petchey RP, Needle JJ, Health Service Journal Conference.
- The Use of Economic Evaluation for Public Health Interventions: Desert or Oasis? A Systematic Review of the Literature. Copenhagen, Denmark (2007).
Description: McDaid D, Needle JJ, International Health Economics Association Conference.
- Helping Hands? The Allied Health Professions in Europe: A reconnaissance. (2007).
Description: Needle JJ, Petchey RP, Seminar, The Nuffield Trust.
- The Use of Economic Evaluation for Public Health Interventions: Desert or Oasis? A Systematic Review of the Literature. Barcelona, Spain (2007).
Description: McDaid D, Needle JJ, Health Technology Assessment International.
- What Use Has Been Made of Economic Evaluation In Public Health? A Systematic Review of the Literature. Edinburgh, UK (2007).
Description: McDaid D, Needle JJ. UK Public Health Association Annual Conference.
- A national survey of the scope of therapeutic practice of optometrists in the UK. London, UK (2007).
Description: Lawrenson JG, Needle JJ, Petchey RP, Drug Utilisation Research Group (UK & Ireland) Conference: Capturing Health Gain-Do We Need A Bigger Net Or Smaller Mesh? The Royal Society Of Medicine. Abstract published in Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety 2007;16 (5):592.
- Economic Evaluation and Public Health: Mapping the Literature. Cambridge, UK (2006).
Description: McDaid D, Needle JJ, Judge Institute Conference on Health Policy Futures, University of Cambridge.
- Economic evaluation and public health: mapping the literature. Cardiff, UK (2006).
Description: McDaid D, Needle JJ, Welsh Assembly Government Health Economics Launch, Wanless Research Programme.
- Economic evaluation and public health: mapping the literature. Birmingham, UK (2005).
Description: McDaid D, Needle JJ, Meeting of the Welsh Assembly Government Wanless Research Programme.
- - Peer reviewer, International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders.