Dr Jonatan Echebarria Fernandez
Dr Jonatan Echebarria Fernández has recently joined the City Law School as Lecturer in Law teaching Commercial Law and Contract Law, among other subjects. He holds a PhD in Law from the Copenhagen Business School (CBS), where he was employed as a PhD Fellow and a Research Assistant. He was awarded two LLMs (European Union Law and Shipping Law, respectively) in Spain. He has undertaken PhD courses from the Hague Academy of International Law, the University of the Basque Country, CBS, Lund University, Aarhus University and the University of Southern Denmark. He has pursued specialised courses and certificates from the Lloyd's Maritime Academy, the Judge Business School, the University of Columbia, the College of Europe, the University of the Basque Country, CBS Executive and Harvard University.
Dr Jonatan Echebarria Fernández's research interests span from Maritime and Commercial disputes to European Private International Law. He is currently working in some articles and book chapters related to the impact of marine pollution focused in least developed countries’ coastal communities. His PhD-based book titled “Jurisdiction and arbitration agreements in contracts for the carriage of goods by sea – limitations on party autonomy” will be published by Routledge in late 2020. He has delivered presentations at international conferences during the last years.
Dr Jonatan Echebarria Fernández has carried out research activities at the Scandinavian Institute of Maritime Law, the University of the Basque Country, the University of Cambridge, the World Maritime University, the International Maritime Organization, the Ghent Law School, the Max Planck Institute Luxembourg for International, European and Regulatory Procedural Law, the Sutherland School of Law and the University of Southampton. His professional experience as a legal specialist include the Council of the EU, the European Investment Bank, the Permanent Representation of Spain to the EU, the Trade Office of Spain in Belgium and Luxembourg, the Luxembourg Maritime Administration or the Bilbao Port Authority in Spain.
Dr Jonatan Echebarria Fernández's research has attracted funding from different foundations such as Otto Mønsteds Fond, Professor dr. jur. Sørens mindefond, Reinholdt W. Jorck og Hustrus Fond or Oticon fonden. He was awarded the Basque Government´s Internationalisation grant in 2011 and the Claes Isacson scholarship 2016 handed over by Gard AS. He has been registered as a lawyer at the Biscay Bar Association between 2010 and 2016.
- PhD in Law, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark, Feb 2019
- LLM in Political Integration and Economic Union in the European Union (specialty: Economic Integration and Business in the European Union), University of the Basque Country, Spain, Oct 2013
- LLM in Maritime Law and Sea-port enterprises management, University of Deusto, Spain, Oct 2010
- Bachelor of Laws (License), University of Deusto, Spain, Oct 2009
- Lecturer in Law, City, University London, Jan 2020 – present
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Pau and Pays de l'Adour, Jul – Dec 2019
- English teacher, Elduaien Language School, Jul 2018
- PhD Fellow and Research Assistant, Copenhagen Business School, Sep 2014 – Feb 2018
- Legal expert, Bilbao Port Authority, Jan – May 2014
- Legal consultant, Ministry of Economy and Foreign Trade, Dec 2012 – Jul 2013
- Assistant to the Counselor at the Shipping Working Party of the Council of the European Union, Spanish Permanent Representation to the European Union, Jan – Dec 2012
- International Trade Advisor, Economic & Commercial Office of the Embassy of Spain in Belgium and Luxembourg, Jan – Dec 2012
- Trainee at JESSICA Middle Office and Southwest Europe Office, European Investment Bank, Apr – Aug 2011
- Legal consultant, Kontseilaritza Asesoría Legal, S.L., Jan – Apr 2010
- Legal Assistant to the CFO and the CEO, Avalon Tecnologías de la Información S.L., Sep 2008 – Dec 2009
Memberships of professional organisations
- Member, Spanish Association of International Law and International Relations Professors (AEPDIRI), Apr 2020 – present
- Associate Fellow, Higher Education Academy, Feb 2019 – present
- Lawyer, Biscay Bar Association (Spain), Jul 2010 – Jul 2016
- Alumnus, University of Deusto Alumni Association
Basque (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), French (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review), German (can read, speak and understand spoken), Italian (can read, speak and understand spoken), Luxembourgish; Letzeburgesch (can read, write, speak and understand spoken), Portuguese (can read, speak and understand spoken) and Spanish; Castilian (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).
- Echebarria Fernández, J. (2020). L'impact maritime du Coronavirus / The maritime impact of Covonavirus. Marine & Océans pp. 37–37.
- Echebarría Fernández, J. (2019). Jurisdiction and applicable law to contracts for the sale of goods and the provision of services including the carriage of goods by sea and other means of transport in the European Union = Jurisdicción y derecho aplicable a los contratos de compraventa de mercaderías y de prestación de servicios incluyendo el transporte de mercancías por vía marítima y otros medios de transporte en la Unión Europea. CUADERNOS DE DERECHO TRANSNACIONAL, 11(2), pp. 58–58. doi:10.20318/cdt.2019.4950.
- Echebarría Fernández, J. (2019). Jurisdiction and applicable law to claims related to the payment of contributions to the budget of an association of property owners for the maintenance of the communal areas of a building. Comment on the judgment of the Court of Justice of the European Union of 8 May 2019, Brian Andrew Kerr v Pavlo Postnov and Natalia Postnova, C-25/18 = Jurisdicción y ley aplicable a las reclamaciones relacionadas con el pago de las contribuciones al presupuesto de una comunidad de propietarios para el mantenimiento de las zonas comunes de un edificio. Comentario a la sentencia del Tribunal de Justicia de la Unión Europea de 8 de mayo de 2019, Brian Andrew Kerr contra Pavlo Postnov y Natalia Postnova, C-25/18. CUADERNOS DE DERECHO TRANSNACIONAL, 11(2), pp. 583–583. doi:10.20318/cdt.2019.4978.
- Echebarría Fernández, J. (2019). Limitations on jurisdiction and arbitration agreements based on applicable law and the identity of the carrier in cargo claim disputes: who and where to sue? = Las limitaciones a la autonomía la voluntad de las partes en las cláusulas atributivas de jurisdicción y las cláusulas de arbitraje basadas en la ley aplicable y la identidad del transportista en las reclamaciones por pérdida o daños a las mercancías: ¿a quién y dónde se puede reclamar? CUADERNOS DE DERECHO TRANSNACIONAL, 11(1), pp. 306–306. doi:10.20318/cdt.2019.4621.
- Echebarria Fernández, J. (2019). Paramount Clause and Codification of International Shipping Law. Journal of Maritime Law and Commerce, 50, pp. 45–89.
- Echebarria Fernández, J. (2018). The European Union’s Post-"Brexit" Decisión-Making Capacity in the Development of International Maritime Law. Revista De Derecho Del Transporte: Terrestre, Marítimo, Aéreo Y Multimodal pp. 207–218.
- Echebarria Fernández, J. (2017). Party Autonomy and the Arrest of Ships From a Comparative Perspective. New Trends in Maritime Law pp. 498–521.
- Echebarria Fernández, J. (2015). Action Research and Efficient Maritime Transport Contract Negotiation. Erhvervsretlige Emner pp. 49–63.
- Echebarria Fernández, J. (2013). The EU Maritime Policy: interaction between public and private Law and the different legal frameworks in presence. Revista De Derecho Del Transporte: Terrestre, Marítimo, Aéreo Y Multimodal, 12, pp. 173–220.
- Echebarria Fernández, J. (2019). Jurisdiction and Arbitration Agreements in Contracts for the Carriage of Goods by Sea.
- Echebarria Fernández, J. (2012). Regulación normativa del sector marítimo en el Derecho Luxemburgués.
- Echebarria Fernández, J. (2012). Normative regulation of the maritime industry in Luxembourgish Law: legal frameworks in presence.
- Echebarria Fernández, J. (2012). Horizon Conference 2012 - The Luxembourg financial services.
- Echebarria Fernández, J. (2012). The food distribution in Luxembourg 2012.
- Echebarria Fernández, J. (2012). The Luxembourg Spring Fair 2012.
- Echebarria Fernández, J. (2012). Graphene 2012.
- Echebarria Fernández, J. (2012). The wine market in Belgium.
- Echebarria Fernández, J. (2007). Nobility law: Mortis causa succession on titles of nobility.