Dr Jed Odermatt
Dr Jed Odermatt is a Lecturer at the City Law School, City, University of London and a member of the Institute for the Study of European Law (ISEL) and International Law and Affairs Group (ILAG).
Dr Odermatt was previously a post-doctoral researcher at the Centre of Excellence for International Courts (iCourts) at the University of Copenhagen. He was a Max Weber Fellow at the European University Institute (EUI), Florence, and a Research Fellow at the Leuven Centre for Global Governance Studies, University of Leuven. He was a Visiting Scholar at the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, University of Cambridge, and a Junior Researcher at the TMC Asser Institute, Centre for International and European Law, The Hague. Dr Odermatt undertook an internship at the Trial Chamber of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY).
Dr Odermatt has a PhD in Law from the University of Leuven (Belgium), a degree in Law from Flinders University (Australia) and an LL.M. in International and European Public Law from Tilburg University (the Netherlands). Dr Odermatt was an Assistant Editor of the European Journal of International Law (EJIL). He is an editor and regular contributor to the Oxford Reports on International Law in EU Courts. Dr Odermatt is also an active member of the European Society of International Law Interest Group on 'The EU as a Global Actor'.
Dr Odermatt’s research interests include public international law, the law of international organizations, and EU external relations law. He has particular expertise in the interaction between the EU and international legal orders. His current research focuses on the law and practice of international courts, in particular the Court of Justice of the European Union. He is the editor of the 'Research Handbook on the EU's Engagement with International Organizations' (with R.A. Wessel), which will be published in 2019.
- PhD, University of Leuven, Belgium
- LLM International and European Law, Tilburg University, The Netherlands
- Bachelor of Law and Legal Practice (Hons), Flinders University, Australia
- Bachelor of International Studies (Hons), Flinders University, Australia
- Wessel, R.A. and Odermatt, J. (Eds.), Research Handbook on The European Union's Engagement With International Organizations. Edward Elgar.
- Odermatt, J. (2018). The Principle of Autonomy: an Adolescent Disease of EU External Relations Law? Structural Principles in EU External Relations Law Oxford: Hart Publishing.
- Odermatt, J. (2018). Brexit and British Trade Policy. Routledge Handbook of the Politics of Brexit Routledge. ISBN 978-1-351-68947-2.
- Wouters, J. and Odermatt, J. (2016). International Banking Standards, Private Law, and the European Union. In Cremona, M. and Micklitz, H.-.W. (Eds.), Private Law in the External Relations of the EU Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-874456-6.
- Wouters, J. and Odermatt, J. (2016). Assessing the Legality of Decisions. In Hurd, I., Johnstone, I. and Cogan, J.K. (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of International Organizations (pp. 1006–1006). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-967220-2.
- Wouters, J. and Odermatt, J. (2016). Certain Expenses of the United Nations (Article 17, paragraph 2 of the Charter): advisory opinion,  ICJ Reports 151. In Ryngaert, C., Dekker, I.F., Wessel, R.A. and Wouters, J. (Eds.), Judicial Decisions on the Law of International Organizations (pp. 191–191). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-874361-3.
- Wouters, J., Chané, A.L. and Odermatt, J. (2015). The european union: A shadowy global actor?: The UN system as an example. The Actors of Postnational Rule-Making: Contemporary Challenges of European and International Law (pp. 163–184). ISBN 978-1-317-51585-2.
- Wouters, J., Odermatt, J. and Ramopoulos, T. (2015). The EU in the world of international organisations: Diplomatic aspirations, legal hurdles and political realities. The Diplomatic System of the European Union: Evolution, Change and Challenges (pp. 94–111). ISBN 978-1-317-53663-5.
- Wouters, J., Anna-Luise, C., Odermatt, J. and Ramopoulos, T. (2015). Improving the EU's Status in the UN and the UN System: An Objective without a Strategy? The European Union in International Organisations and Global Governance: Recent Developments Hart Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84946-700-1.
- Wouters, J., Odermatt, J. and Ramopoulos, T. (2015). Worlds Apart? Comparing the Approaches of the European Court of Justice and the EU Legislature to International Law. In Cremona, M. and Thies, A. (Eds.), The European Court of Justice and External Relations Law: Constitutional Challenges Hart Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84946-832-9.
- Wouters, J. and Odermatt, J. (2014). Quis custodiet consilium securitatis?: Reflections on the law-making powers of the security council. The Security Council as Global Legislator (pp. 71–96). ISBN 978-1-315-81367-7.
- Ramopoulos, T. and Odermatt, J. (2013). EU diplomacy: Measuring success in light of the post-Lisbon institutional framework. Global Power Europe - Vol. 1: Theoretical and Institutional Approaches to the EU's External Relations (pp. 19–35). ISBN 978-3-642-32412-3.
- Wouters, J. and Odermatt, J. (2013). Norms emanating from international bodies and their role in the legal order of the European Union. Between Autonomy and Dependence: The EU Legal Order under the Influence of International Organisations (pp. 47–68). ISBN 978-90-6704-903-0.
- Wouters, J., Van Kerckhoven, S. and Odermatt, J. (2013). The EU at the G20 and the G20’s Impact on the EU. The EU's Role in Global Governance The Legal Dimension OUP Oxford. ISBN 978-0-19-163472-7.
- Wouters, J., Odermatt, J. and Ramopoulos, T. (2013). The Status of the European Union at the United Nations General Assembly. The European Union in the World Essays in Honour of Marc Maresceau Martinus Nijhoff Publishers. ISBN 978-90-04-25914-0.
- Reydams, L. and Odermatt, J. (2012). Mandates. International Prosecutors ISBN 978-0-19-175169-1.
- Odermatt, J. (2018). Patterns of avoidance: Political questions before international courts. International Journal of Law in Context, 14(2), pp. 221–236. doi:10.1017/S1744552318000046.
- Odermatt, J. (2018). Unidentified Legal Object: Conceptualising the European Union in International Law. Connecticut journal of international law, 33, pp. 215–215.
- Odermatt, J. (2017). COUNCIL OF THE EUROPEAN UNION v. POPULAR FRONT FOR THE LIBERATION OF SAGUIA-ELHAMRA AND RIO DEORO (POLISARIO FRONT). AMERICAN JOURNAL OF INTERNATIONAL LAW, 111(3), pp. 731–738. doi:10.1017/ajil.2017.50.
- Odermatt, J. (2017). THE DEVELOPMENT OF CUSTOMARY INTERNATIONAL LAW BY INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS. International and Comparative Law Quarterly, 66(2), pp. 491–511. doi:10.1017/S0020589317000112.
- Odermatt, J. (2017). Brexit and International law: Disentangling Legal Orders. Emory International Law Review, 31, pp. 1052–1052.
- Odermatt, J. (2016). A Farewell to Fragmentation: Reassertion and Convergence in International Law. ICON-INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF CONSTITUTIONAL LAW, 14(3), pp. 776–781. doi:10.1093/icon/mow052.
- Odermatt, J. (2015). The use of international treaty law by the court of justice of the european union. Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies, 17, pp. 121–144. doi:10.1017/cel.2015.5.
- Odermatt, J. (2015). The EU's Accession to the European Convention on Human Rights: An International Law Perspective. New York University Journal of International Law and Politics, 47, pp. 59–59.
- Odermatt, J. (2015). A Giant Step Backwards? Opinion 2/13 on the EU's Accession to the European Convention on Human Rights. New York University Journal of International Law and Politics, 47, pp. 783–783.
- Wouters, J. and Odermatt, J. (2014). Comparing the 'four pillars' of global economic governance: A critical analysis of the institutional design of the FSB, IMF, World Bank, and WTO. Journal of International Economic Law, 17(1), pp. 49–76. doi:10.1093/jiel/jgu008.
- Odermatt, J. (2014). The Court of Justice of the European Union: International or Domestic Court? Cambridge Journal of International and Comparative Law, 3(3), pp. 696–718. doi:10.7574/cjicl.03.03.231.
- Odermatt, J. (2014). Case C-366/10 Air Transport Association of America and Others v. Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change. Columbia Journal of European Law, 20, pp. 143–143.
- Odermatt, J. (2013). Between Law and Reality: New Wars and Internationalised Armed Conflict. Amsterdam Law Forum, 5(19).
- Wouters, J. and Odermatt, J. (2012). Are all international organizations created equal? International Organizations Law Review, 9(1), pp. 7–14. doi:10.1163/15723747-00901016.
- Wouters, J., Odermatt, J. and Ramopoulos, T. (2011). The Lisbon Treaty and the Status of the European Union in the International Arena: The May 2011 Upgrade at the UN General Assembly. IEMed Mediterranean Yearbook.
- Odermatt, J. (2010). The role of international human rights law in eradicating global poverty: From criticism to institutional reform. Nordic Journal of Human Rights, 28(1), pp. 4–19. doi:10.1080/18918131.2010.10749798.
- Odermatt, J. (2009). Investigating new models of pharmaceutical innovation to protect the human right to health. IIC International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law, 40(2), pp. 173–181.
- Odermatt, J., Wouters, J., De Baere, G., Van Vooren, B., Raube, K., Ramopoulos, T. … Tanghe, Y. (2013). The Organisation and Functioning of the European External Action Service: Achievements, Challenges and Opportunities. Directorate-General for External Policies of the Union. ISBN 978-92-823-4134-6.