Dr Jacqui Farrants
- Dr Jacqui Farrants
- +44 (0)20 7040 0172
Dr Jacqui Farrants is an experienced Registered Practitioner Psychologist and academic. As Head of Psychology at City University London until 2012 and erstwhile programme director for the postgraduate counsellng psychology programmes, she has, for many years, been closely involved in the training of psychologists and therapists and continues to be active in research, supervision and consultancy.
Dr Farrants studied psychology part-time as a mature student at the University of East London. She then went on to complete postgraduate training in Counselling Psychology at City, University of London, while also working in a variety of adult mental health services in Essex and East London.
Dr Farrants has research and practice interests in mortality, trauma, adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse and the use of comedy in health and wellbeing.
She is chartered as a Counselling Psychologist, an Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society, (AFBPS) and is registered as a Practitioner Psychologist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) in the UK. Her clinical practice, Dr Jacqui Farrants Psychology, is based in North Essex.
- Register of Health Professions Council (HCPC) (membership no: PYL06631)
- Register of Chartered Psychologists, British Psychological Society (AFBPS) (Associate Fellow membership no: 72589) and accredited member of the Counselling Psychology Division.
- Register of Chartered Scientists (CSci) (The Science Council in association with BPS)
- Member, BPS Special Group in Coaching Psychology (SGCP)
- Member, BPS Special Group of Independent Practitioners (SGIP)
- Register of Applied Psychology Practice Supervisors
- Editorial Board, BPS Counselling Psychology Review
- Editorial Board – International Coaching Psychology Review
- External Examiner, Psychotherapeutic and Counselling Psychology (PsychD) programmes, University of Surrey – 2013 - 2017.
- External Examiner, Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology, University of the West of England - 2006 - 2010
- Member, Association of Heads of Psychology Departments, 2008 - 2012
- Training Lead, BPS Division of Counselling Psychology, 2005 – 2009
- External member, validation panel, Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology, Glasgow Caledonian University – 2006.
- Associate Fellow (AFBPS), British Psychological Society, Jan 2013
- Register of Chartered Scientists (CSci), The Science Council, in association with BPS, Jan 2012
- Register of Applied Psychology Practice Supervisors, British Psychological Society, Jan 2012
- Registered Psychologist, Health Care and Professions Council (HCPC), Jan 2011
- DPsych, City University London, United Kingdom, Sep 2001
- MSc Counselling Psychology, City University London, United Kingdom, Sep 1996
- BSc (Hons) Psychology, University of East London, United Kingdom, Sep 1993
- Post MSc Counselling Psychology, City University London, London, United Kingdom, Sep 1997
- MSc Counselling Psychology, City University London, London, United Kingdom, Sep 1996
- Registered Psychologist, Dr Jacqui Farrants Psychology, Aug 2015 – present
- Research Supervisor and Assessor, DPsych Counselling Psychology, Regents University London, Sep 2014 – present
- Registered Psychologist, The House Partnership, Sep 2012 – Nov 2016
- Research Supervisor and Assessor, New School of Psychotherapy and Counselling, Jun 2012 – present
- Consultant Psychologist, City University London, Feb 2012 – present
- Head of Psychology Department, City University London, Sep 2009 – Jan 2012
- External Examiner PsychD Psychotherapeutic and Counselling Psychology, University of Surrey, Sep 2006 – Sep 2017
Living with Dying Project
Co-researcher on “Living with Dying” project – City University London in association with Maggie’s Cancer Caring Centres.
Use of Comedy in Mental Health
The Comedy School, Camden.
Cardiovascular disease prevention and risk factors
Input into qualitative investigation as part of UCL Partners project.
Research supervision, assessment and examination
Research supervisor and assessor for:
- City University London
- New School of Psychotherapy and Counselling
- Professional Development Foundation
Over 40 doctorate students supervised to completion
Over 35 doctorate students examined as internal examiner
Over 10 doctorate students examined as external examiner
- Cobb, S. and Farrants, J. (2014). Male prisoners' constructions of help-seeking. Journal of Forensic Practice, 16(1), pp. 46–57. doi:10.1108/JFP-01-2013-0005.
- Smith, F. and Farrants, J.R. (2013). Shame and self-acceptance in continued flux: Qualitative study of the embodied experience of significant weight loss and removal of resultant excess skin by plastic surgery. Journal of Health Psychology, 18(9), pp. 1129–1140. doi:10.1177/1359105312459095.
- Hackett, A., Palmer, S. and Farrants, J. (2009). Phase 1 of an investigation into the levels of stress in United Kingdom hospice services. Int J Palliat Nurs, 15(2), pp. 66–72. doi:10.12968/ijpn.2009.15.2.39802.
- Gyllensten, K., Palmer, S. and Farrants, J. (2005). Perceptions of stress and stress interventions in finance organizations: Overcoming resistance towards counselling. Counselling Psychology Quarterly, 18(1), pp. 19–29. doi:10.1080/09515070500099579.
- Gyllensten, K., Palmer, S. and Farrants, J. (2004). The perceptions of work related stress within finance organisations: How managers can influence workplace stress. International Journal of Health Promotion and Education, 42(2), pp. 37–42. doi:10.1080/14635240.2004.10708011.
- Farrants, J. (2009). Working with Trauma. ISBN 978-3-639-19944-4.
- Farrants, J. (2003). Reporting in counselling and psychotherapy. In Papadopoulos, L., Cross, M.C. and Bor, R. (Eds.), Reporting in counselling and psychotherapy Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-23194-7.
- Kane, P. and Farrants, J. (2018). The Dyspraxia Foundation Professional Journal. The Dyspraxia Foundation Professional Journal, 15, pp. 16–28.
- Pexton, S., Farrants, J. and Yule, W. (2018). The impact of fathers’ military deployment on child adjustment. The support needs of primary school children and their families separated during active military service: A pilot study. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 23(1), pp. 110–124. doi:10.1177/1359104517724494.
- Silver, J. and Farrants, J. (2016). 'I Once Stared at Myself in the Mirror for Eleven Hours.' Exploring mirror gazing in participants with body dysmorphic disorder. J Health Psychol. doi:10.1177/1359105315581516.
- Farrants, J. (2012). Introduction to Counselling Survivors of Interpersonal Trauma. Child Abuse Review, 21(6), pp. 456–457. doi:10.1002/car.1185.
- McGourty, A., Farrants, J., Pratt, R. and Cankovic, M. (2010). Taking your participants home: Self care within the research process. British Psychological Society, Counselling Psychology Section: Counselling Psychology Review, 25(4), pp. 65–73.
- Farrants, J. (1998). The 'false memory' debate: A critical review of the research on recovered memories of child sexual abuse. Counselling Psychology Quarterly, 11(3), pp. 229–238. doi:10.1080/09515079808254057.
- Director, Jacqui Farrants Ltd, Aug 2015 – present
- Registered Psychologist, client work, counselling psychology, coaching psychology, clinical supervision, research supervision, research and consultancy, Dr Jacqui Farrants Psychology, Jan 2012 – present
- Editorial Boards - Counselling Psychology Review
- International Coaching Psychology Review.
- Professional Memberships:
•Register of Health Professions Council (HPC registration no: PYL06631)
•Register of Chartered Psychologists, British Psychological Society, Associate Fellow (BPS membership no: 72589) and accredited member of the Counselling Psychology Division.
•Register of Applied Psychology Practice Supervisors (BPS)
•Register of Chartered Scientists (The Science Council in association with BPS)
•Member, British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP)
•Member, BPS Special Group in Coaching Psychology.
•Member, Society for Coaching Psychology (membership no: 226)
•Principal Member, Association of Business Psychologists (membership no: 1309)
•Fellow, Higher Education Academy (HEA).