Dr Ivan Sikora
- Dr Ivan Sikora
- +44 (0)20 7040 3815
- +44 (0)7580 703408
2003 - 2013, Faculty of Transport and Traffic Sciences, Zagreb, Croatia
Doctorate in Air Transport |
1993 – 1996, Central Missouri State University, Warrensburg, Missouri, USA
Master Of Science, Aviation Safety |
1988 - 1992, Faculty of Transport and Traffic Sciences, Zagreb, Croatia
Bachelor of Science degree in Air Transport |
1980 - 1984, High School Of Mathematics and Civil Engineering,Split, Croatia
IT and Computer Science Technician
1993 Welcome Service Desk Clerk, Croatia Airlines, Zagreb, Croatia |
1993-1996 Aircraft Performance Engineer, Croatia Airlines, Zagreb, Croatia |
1996-1998 Head of Performance and Navigation Department, Croatia Airlines,
1998-2006 Operations Engineer Performance Projects, Emirates Airline, Dubai, UAE |
2006-2010 Safety Analysis and Systems Manager, Emirates Airline, Dubai, UAE |
2010-2011 Lecturer / Program Manager MBA at Emirates Aviation College (EAC), Dubai, UAE
Airbus Industrie, Toulouse France |
Flight Operations Consultation Tool, 11/06/-14/06/05 |
Performance Engineer Course A319, 9/10-17/10/97 |
Weight and Balance, Load Master A320, 18/03-21/03/97 |
Performance Engineer Course A320, 04/03-14/03/1997 |
Boeing Commercial Airplane Group Operations Engineer Course, 28/06/2001, Dubai, UAE |
General Performance Engineer Course, 10/1994,WA, USA |
Cranfield University, Postgraduate Study, UK Data Management Module, Knowledge Management for Innovation, 11/2007 |
Croatia Airlines, Zagreb, Croatia
Performance Engineer Course, 04/1995 |
Weight and Balance Course for ATR 42-300, 11/1993 |
Weight and Balance Course for B737-200, 11/1993 |
Passenger and Baggage Handling Course, 09/1993 |
ICAO Regional Workshop on Safety Management System (SMS) and State Safety Programme (SSP) Implementation, 01/2010, Dubai, UAE |
Safety Management Systems Course, 04/2008, United Nations World Food Program, Sharjah, UAE |
Emirates Airline, Dubai, UAE
Information Systems Protection, 03/2007 |
Basics of Aviation Security, 01/2007 |
Airbus A330 CBT, performance and introduction to Cockpit Resource Management, 04/1999 |
International Society of Air Safety Investigators (ISASI), Dubai, UAE
Reachout Workshop on Aircraft Accident Prevention and Investigation, 3/2007
ScandiAvia, Stockholm, Sweden
Risk Management Course, 6/02/2008 |
The Southern California Safety Institute, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
USA, Human Factors in SMS, 05/2003 |
Perception Survey Management Took, Emirates Airline, Dubai, UAE |
Sentinel Train the Trainer Course, Emirates Airline, Dubai, UAE |
Business Objects, Emirates Airline, Dubai, UAE
8ack International FZ-LLC, Dubai, UAE
Talking Presentation, 06/2009
Emirates Airline, Dubai, UAE
Personal Effectiveness, 05/2010
Business Presentation Skills, 02/2010
Getting Familiar with EK Group Budgeting, 01/2010
High Impact Leadership, 10/2009
Developing Your Influence, 06/2009
Managing People, 03/2009
Giving and Receiving Feedback, 03/2009
Developing Employees, 03/2009
International Institute for Learning, Dubai, UAE
Project Management Fundamentals, 8-10/12/2003
Introduction to Lateral Thinking and Six Thinking Hats, Dr. Sunil Gupta, Dubai, UAE
Six Thinking Hats and Mind Mapping, Creative Thinking, Dubai, UAE
Croatian – mother’s tongue
Serbian - written and spoken, advanced level
English – written and spoken, advanced level
Italian– written and spoken, intermediate level
Aviation Safety – Human Factors - Risk Management – Air Transport in following applications:
• Effective Intervention in Risk Management,
• Cross Industry Application of Lessons Learned and Transferrable Knowledge within High Risk Industries,
• Fatigue Risk Management,
• Air Transport Strategic Studies.
Research in the Previous Three Years
My experience, knowledge and skills reflect a diverse but balanced mixture of engineering, technology and innovation, and business management expertise. In the process of my PhD completion from early 2000 till 2013 I have been involved in research and industry activities related to Aviation Safety and Air Transport.
Those include but are not limited to
• A novel Risk Management Model as a proactive tool in airline safety management as one of the results of my PhD Thesis. My research investigated the human factors, human error, and the role of risk management with proactive safety in contemporary Aviation industry. The key aim of my PhD project was to develop an innovative approach to risk management building on the existing models and overcoming gaps observed while doing hands on real airline work. Knowledge generated (i.e. a model) is to demonstrate that technological, organizational and equipment based factors can be applied in order to assess the risk in the system proactively. Framework underlying the model was heavily influenced and shaped by cutting edge lumbar spine biomechanical system analogy that I found as an ideal for that role,
• Business driven internal airline studies - One of the key findings of my PhD research has been realization that we need to reconsider the way we approach risk management hence I researched into Aviation Strategy. Business environment and operation should be perceived as entities that are in constant flux in order for a company to cope with business, technological, legal, regulatory, and other changes. Having felt the interwoven nature of Aviation Industry observed from my practical experience I have studied strategic implications of proactive work in the safety arena,
• Dedicated and custom made Safety Cases - Questions such as: how to maximise the use of available equipment, what kind of economic, business, management, and other implications that brings, what is the nature of relationship between operations and safety, and what would be next addition to flight operations technology have been important part of my daily work and research as well.
Thesis title: Increasing effectiveness of investment in aviation safety and quality
Further information: Date of start 01 Dec 2011.
Thesis title: Safety risk management in commercial air transport - an interdisciplinary reserach on risk perception and risk attitudes of pilots and engineers.
Further information: Date of start 27 Sep 2010.
Thesis title: Human Factor Aspects in Operational Fuel Saving
Further information: Date of start 01 Jul 2011.
Thesis title: Flight Safety in Combat Training: A pilot's error framework for EU Air Forces
Further information: Date of start 01 Feb 2011.
Thesis title: Air Safety Management
Further information: Date of start 01 May 2013.
Thesis title: Performance based aviation safety oversight
Further information: Date of start 01 Dec 2012.
Thesis title: Holistic Risk Management in Commercial Air Transport
Further information: Date of start 01 May 2009.
Thesis title: How to intervene effectively and sustain change in aviation risk management
Further information: Date of start 01 Oct 2011.
- Sikora, I. (2015). Risk Assessment, Modelling And Proactive Safety Management System In Aviation: A Literature Review. Croatia.
- Panagopoulos, I., Atkin, C. and Sikora, I. (2016). Lean Six-Sigma in Aviation Safety: An implementation guide for measuring aviation system’s safety performance. Journal of Safety Studies, 2(2), pp. 30–30. doi:10.5296/jss.v2i2.10438.
- Quinn, A. and Sikora, I. (2017). The Right Stuff ‘v’ the Right (Safe) Thing.
- Manchanda, M. and Sikora, I. (2016). Mismanaged Go-Arounds And The Need To Mitigate Their Occurrence. International Conference on Traffic and Transport Engineering (ICTTE) 24-25 November, Belgrade.
- Sikora, I., Patriarca, R., Di Gravio, G. and Constantino, F. (2016). MARS – A Fresh Look at Risk Assessment Modelling and Effective Safety Data Communication. ZIRP 2016 12 April, Zagreb.
- Sikora, I. and Short, J. (2016). Hazard Identification In Part-145 Approved Maintenance Organisations: The Management Of Risk Attitude. ZIRP 12 April, Zagreb.
- Sikora, I. (2015). A Tale of Two Industries" - Building the Bridge Between Business Aviation and Academia. 5th Annual EBASCON 24-25 February, Frankfurt, Germany.
- Sikora, I., Pavlin, S. and Roguljić, S. (2002). Flight Operations and Technical Sector Documentation Management and Distribution Supported By Information Technology and Digital Formats. Automatizacija u prometu 2002 20-23 November, Rijeka/ Lovran, Croatia.
- Sikora, I., Pavlin, S. and Roguljić, S. (2002). Information Technology as the Security Logistics in the Passenger Handling at Airports. 6th International Conference on Traffic Science 24-26 October, Portorož, Slovenia.
- Sikora, I., Pavlin, S. and Roguljić, S. (2002). Flight Operations Quality Audit Programs - A Contribution to Safe and Efficient Air Transportation. 6th International Conference on Traffic Science ICTS 2002 24-26 October, Portoroz, Slovenia.
- Sikora, I., Pavlin, S. and Roguljić, S. (2002). INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AS THE SECURITY LOGISTIC FACTOR IN THE PASSENGER HANDLING PROCESS AT AIRPORTS. 6th International Conference on Traffic Science ICTS 2002 24-26 October, Portoroz, Slovenija.
- Sikora, I., Pavlin, S. and Roguljić, S. (2002). Aircraft safety on maneouvring area and apron. ISEP2002 - 10th International Symposium on Electronics in Traffic 3-4 October, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Sikora, I., Pavlin, S. and Bazijanac, E. (2000). Automated Operations and Safety Data Collection and Usage in Contemporary Flight Operations Quality Audit Programs. Automatizacija u prometu 2000 21-25 November, Zagreb, Croatia, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Sikora, I., Pavlin, S. and Bazijanac, E. (2000). Flight Operations and Engineering Documentation Managing and Distribution Supported by Intelligent Transport Systems. Transport, Traffic, and Logistics 2-3 October, Portorož, Slovenia.
- Sikora, I., Pavlin, S. and Bazijanac, E. (1999). Different Automation Concepts in Civil Aircraft Cockpits of Today and Their Influence on Airline Flight Operations. Automatizacija prometu'99 17-20 November, Pula/ Croatia; Trieste, Venice/ Italy.
- Sikora, I., Stanislav, P. and Bazijanac, E. (1999). The Example of Laptop Based Performance Data Generating and Optimisation in Contemporary Commercial Aircraft Operations. ISEP '99 7-8 October, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Sikora, I. (1998). Medium Range Aircraft Fuel Policy in the Light of Available Software, and Knowledge in the Industry. KoREMA , 1998 25-28 November, Stubicke Toplice - Graz - Vienna, Croatia-Austria.
- Sikora, I. Expert Systems and Automation Tools as Human Complements in High Risk Industries. AUTOMATIZACIJA U PROMETU KoREMA 2007 Zagreb.
- Sikora, I., Pavlin, S. and Roguljić, S. Analysis and Prospects of Croatian Airports Development. The Third Croatian Road Congress 2003 Trogir.
- Sikora, I., Pavlin, S. and Roguljić, S. Split Airport Obstacle Analysis. KoREMA , 2002.
- Sikora, I. Preparing Aviation Executives for the Future.
- Rabadia, H. and Sikora, I. Customizing Risk Assessment for Operation in Challenging Environment. ZIRP Zagreb.
- Di Gravio, G., Patriarca, R., Costantino, F. and Sikora, I. (2017). Safety assessment for an atm system change: A methodology for the ANSPs. Promet - Traffic - Traffico, 29(1), pp. 99–107.
- Panagopoulos, I., Atkin, C. and Sikora, I. (2017). Developing a performance indicators lean-sigma framework for measuring aviation system's safety performance. Transportation Research Procedia, 22, pp. 35–44. doi:10.1016/j.trpro.2017.03.005.
- Sikora, I., Pavlin, S. and Roguljić, S. (2002). Development of Automated Airport Surface Traffic Monitoring and Management. Promet-Traffic-Traffico, Scientific Technical Journal for Traffic Theory and Practice (1332-070X), 14 (2002), Supplement No. 1, pp. 33–46.
- Sikora, I. Airlines’ Proactive Risk Management System Definition. (PhD Thesis)
- Sikora, I. Integrated Communications, Navigations, and Surveillance Systems in Aviation. (Undergraduate Dissertation)
Programme Director, MSc in Air Safety Management