Isabella joined City, University of London, in 2017, as a PhD candidate at The City Law School and as an Early Stage Researcher under the Marie Curie Innovative Training Network on EU Trade and Investment Policy (EUTIP), under the supervision of Elaine Fahey and Tawhida Ahmed.
Her research inquires “How ‘deep’ are fundamental rights in the new generation of EU trade agreements with other developed economies?”. The question is motivated by the lack of academic research of the deepness of the so-called “new generation of EU deep trade agreements” in terms of fundamental rights. ‘Deep’ is understood in two ways: as indicative of the dimension of trade law-making to be analysed and as embodying the normative benchmark, the broader normative stance being one of democratisation of global governance and law-making beyond the state. The focus is on two sets of fundamental rights, namely labour rights and data protection and privacy rights; and on the latest trade initiatives between the EU and other developed economies in North America and Asia: Canada, the US, Singapore and Japan.
Since the beginning of her PhD, Isabella has benefitted from a broad range of training and interdisciplinary methods training. She has attended the Advanced Training Courses on the law, economics and politics of EU trade and investment organised by the EUTIP network; as well as several lectures and seminars, both within and outside her host institution.
As part of her secondments, Isabella will spend a research period at the Egmont Institute in Brussels and the Asser Institute in The Hague.
- LLM International Trade and Investment Law, Maastricht University, Netherlands
- BA European Studies (cum laude), Maastricht University, Netherlands
- Erasmus Programme, University of Geneva, Switzerland
French (can read, write, speak and understand spoken) and Spanish; Castilian (can read, write, speak and understand spoken).
- Global Politics and EU Free Trade Policy. (Conference) Brussels (2018).
Paper: Deepening Trade and Fundamental Rights? The interplay between Regulatory Cooperation and Data Protection Rights
- CLEER 10th Anniversary Conference. (Conference) The Asser Institute, The Hague (2018).
Paper: The the Reach of Labour and Data Protection Rights in the new generation of EU trade agreements with other developed economies
- Modelling Convergence of the EU with the world: taking, receiving and becoming EU law. (Workshop) City, University of London (2018).
Paper: The Reach of EU Free Trade Agreements to the Rights of the Global Others
- UACES 48th Annual Conference. (Conference) University of Bath (2018).
Paper: Breadth and Deepness of Fundamental Rights in the New Generation of EU FTAs
- Transatlantic Perspectives: The Future of European Law and Policy VI. (Conference) University of Birmingham (2018).
Paper: The Breadth of Fundamental Rights in the New Generation of EU Trade Agreements
- European Union International Affairs (EUIA) Conference. (Conference) Brussels (2018).
Paper: The Role of the European Parliament for the Reach of Deeper Fundamental Rights in EU Free Trade Agreements