In October 2017, Isabella joined The City Law School (City, University of London) as a PhD candidate and an Early Stage Researcher within the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network (ITN) on EU Trade and Investment Policy (EUTIP), under the supervision of Prof. Elaine Fahey, Prof. Panos Koutrakos and Dr. Tawhida Ahmed.
Isabella is working on a thesis on "The Place of Fundamental Rights in the New Generation of EU ‘Deep’ Trade Agreements with other Developed Economies". The question she is interested is: “In the new generation of EU 'deep' trade agreements with other developed economies, how should we explore and understand the 'deepness' of fundamental rights?" Her research focuses on two sets of fundamental rights - labour and data privacy rights - and on the latest trade initiatives between the EU and other developed economies in North America and Asia: Canada, the US, Singapore and Japan.
Since the beginning of her PhD, Isabella has benefitted from a broad range of training and interdisciplinary methods training. She has attended the Advanced Training Courses organised by the EUTIP network; as well as several lectures and seminars, both within and outside her host institution. As part of her secondments, Isabella spent a research period at the Egmont Institute in Brussels (September 2019) and at the Asser Institute in The Hague (October-December 2019). In May, she will also be a visiting researcher at the Amsterdam Centre for European Law and Governance (ACELG).
- LLM International Trade and Investment Law, Maastricht University, Netherlands
- BA European Studies (cum laude), Maastricht University, Netherlands
- Erasmus Programme, University of Geneva, Switzerland
- City, University of London (2019) Prize for PhD Research Forum presentation at the City Law School
More information here: https://www.city.ac.uk/news/2019/may/city-law-school-doctoral-students-excel-in-presentations
- European Commission Project Officer and External Expert (2019) Prize for poster presentation at EUTIP Mid-term review
More information here: http://eutip.eu/eutip-meetings-in-nottingham
French (can read, write, speak and understand spoken), Italian (can read, write, speak and understand spoken) and Spanish; Castilian (can read, write, speak and understand spoken).
- Professor Elaine Fahey, Jean Monnet Chair of Law & Transatlantic Relations, Professor of Law
- Dr Tawhida Ahmed, Reader in Law
- Mancini, I. (2020). Deepening Trade and Fundamental Rights? Harnessing Data Protection Rights in the Regulatory Cooperation Chapters of EU Trade Agreements. In Weiß, W. and Furculita, C. (Eds.), Global Politics and EU Trade Policy Facing the Challenges to a Multilateral Approach Springer. ISBN 978-3-030-34587-7.
- Mancini, I. (2020). 'A Deep Trade Agenda': The convergence of trade and Fundamental Rights. In Fahey, E. (Ed.), Framing Convergence with the Global Legal Order: The EU and the World Oxford: Hart Publishing. ISBN 978-1-5099-3437-9.
- Mancini, I. (2019). The Horizontal Effect of Fundamental Rights in the European Union: A Constitutional Analysis. EUROPEAN LAW REVIEW, 44(5), pp. 730–733.
- Fahey, E. and Mancini, I. THE EU AS AN INTENTIONAL OR ACCIDENTAL CONVERGENCE ACTOR? LEARNING FROM THE EU-JAPAN DATA ADEQUACY NEGOTIATIONS. International Trade Law and Regulation, (1).
- EUTIP Doctoral Seminar on Methods and Methodology: On EU-Japan relations. City, University of London (2019).
Paper: The Reach of EU ‘Deep’ Free Trade Agreements to the Rights of the Global Others: the Methodological challenges
Description: See more here https://eutip.eu/eutip-esrs-participated-in-doctoral-seminar-organised-by-prof-elaine-fahey-at-city-university-of-london/
- Joint ESIL-CLEER Conference. Asser Institute (The Hague, The Netherlands) (2019).
Paper: The EU’s Extraterritorial Protection of Fundamental Rights: from “through trade” to “in trade”
- The CETA Implications Conference. Dalhousie University, Halifax (Canada) (2019).
Paper: Taming Regulatory Cooperation for the protection of Labour Rights: the case of CETA
Description: Find more information here
- TRILATTRADE Conference On UK-EU-Japan relations in Trade, Regulation & IP. (Conference) City, University of London (2019).
Paper: The EU as a Global Convergence Actor: from Data to Trade
Co-authors: Elaine Fahey
Description: Find more information here
- 26th International Conference of Europeanists, Council for European Studies. (Conference) Madrid (2019).
Paper: An exploratory agenda for Fundamental Rights protection in the Regulatory Cooperation chapters of the new generation of EU Trade Agreements
Description: More information here: http://eutip.eu/eutip-members-participate-at-ces-conference/
- EUSA International Biennial Conference. (Conference) Denver (Colorado) (2019).
Paper: The EU-Japan EPA and SPA: Nudging Global Regulatory Convergence? Regulatory Cooperation and Data Flows
Co-authors: Prof. Elaine Fahey
Description: More information here: http://eutip.eu/eutip-researchers-participate-in-the-2019-eusa-international-biennial-conference/
- EUSA International Biennial Conference. (Conference) Denver (Colorado) (2019). Invited speaker.
Paper: The Place of Fundamental Rights in the New Generation of EU Free Trade Agreements with other Developed Economies
- Global Politics and EU Free Trade Policy. (Conference) Brussels (2018).
Paper: Deepening Trade and Fundamental Rights? The interplay between Regulatory Cooperation and Data Protection Rights
- CLEER 10th Anniversary Conference. (Conference) The Asser Institute, The Hague (2018).
Paper: The the Reach of Labour and Data Protection Rights in the new generation of EU trade agreements with other developed economies
- Modelling Convergence of the EU with the world: taking, receiving and becoming EU law. (Workshop) City, University of London (2018).
Paper: The Reach of EU Free Trade Agreements to the Rights of the Global Others
- UACES 48th Annual Conference. (Conference) University of Bath (2018).
Paper: Breadth and Deepness of Fundamental Rights in the New Generation of EU FTAs
- Transatlantic Perspectives: The Future of European Law and Policy VI. (Conference) University of Birmingham (2018).
Paper: The Breadth of Fundamental Rights in the New Generation of EU Trade Agreements
- European Union International Affairs (EUIA) Conference. (Conference) Brussels (2018).
Paper: The Role of the European Parliament for the Reach of Deeper Fundamental Rights in EU Free Trade Agreements
- Renegotiating NAFTA: between free flows of data and data protection & privacy rights. (2018). EUTIP blogpost
- “Business and Human Rights” in Trade: EU’s Missed Chance to be a Global Leader? (2019). EUTIP blogpost (co-authored with Aakriti Bhardwaj)