Dr Iasonas Triantis
- Dr Iasonas Triantis
- +44 (0)20 7040 8450
Dr Iasonas F. Triantis was born in Geneva, Switzerland in 1976 and received his basic education in Ioannina, Greece. He received his MEng degree from the department of Electrical Engineering and Electronics, UMIST (now part of Manchester University) in Manchester, UK in 2000. Between 2000 and 2003 he was a Research Assistant in the Electronic and Electrical Engineering (EEE) department at University College London (UCL), where he completed his PhD on implantable neuroprostheses in 2005.
Between 2005 - 2010 he worked as a Research Associate on advanced neural interfaces at the Institute of Biomedical Engineering (IBE) at Imperial College London before returning to UCL to work for two years as a Senior Researcher on microelectronics for electrical impedance tomography (EIT).
He is currently a Lecturer in Instrumentation and Sensors, with the Bioengineering Research Group (BERG) at the department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, City University London.
He has designed a number of chips for biomedical applications and he has explored multi-modal bio-sensing and bio-actuation techniques, including combining electrical with chemical and optical methods for neural interfacing. He has co-authored more than 40 journal and conference publications, book chapters and patents. He has pursued and attracted funding and developed international collaborations. Further to research, his activities include student and researcher supervision, teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses and setting up and maintaining electronics laboratories.
Dr Triantis specialises in analogue chip design for bio-interfacing and has undertaken research in the areas of microelectronics mainly for electrical bio-interfacing, and more specifically for implantable neuroprosthetics and impedimetric instrumentation.
Some of Dr Triantis's recent research activities include the design of an Application-Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) for neural signal monitoring, which is aimed at assisting the rehabilitation of patients suffering from spinal cord injuries; he has pioneered research into the use of chemical microsensors for neural monitoring and he has also co-developed advanced neural stimulation methods. He has designed integrated circuits for portable Electrical Impedance Tomography (EIT) systems that can be used for imaging neonatal lung functions, and some types of cancerous tumours. His work was specifically focused on the design, development, post-processing and testing of transistor-level microelectronic circuits for sensing and actuation, fabricated on silicon substrates using BiCMOS and CMOS technologies.
PhD Electronic Engineering (Biomedical Microelectronics), University of London/University College London, 2005
MEng Electronic Engineering, University of Manchester Institute of Science & Technology (UMIST), 2000
2012 - to date City University London, Lecturer
2010 - 2012 University College London, Senior Research Associate
2005 - 2010 Imperial College London, Research Associate
2000 - 2005 University College London, Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant
Membership of professional bodies
2002 IEEE, Member
At his current post Dr Triantis is conducting interdisciplinary research in analogue electronics for micro-sensors, electrical bio-interfacing and medical diagnostics. The initial stages of his research will focus on designing the first integrated circuits at City University London. The two main applications will be Electrical Impedance Tomography for gastric imaging and Multimodal Neuro-Stimulation. The first is a direct continuation of prior research and the second is a very interesting new idea that builds on the strengths of the Bioengineering Group that he recently joined, as well as on his experience in electrical bio-interfacing.
- Constantinou, L., Kyriacou, P.A. and Triantis, I.F. (2017). Towards an optimized tetrapolar electrical impedance lithium detection probe for bipolar disorder: A simulation study. (pp. 1–3). ISBN 978-1-5090-1012-7.
- TRIANTIS, I., Radomska-Botelho Moniz, A., Michelakis, K., Sharma, S., Trzebinski, J., Garner, B. … Eftekhar, A. (2011). Ionic Neural Sensing. In Kramme, R., Hoffmann, K.-.P. and Pozos, R.S. (Eds.), Springer Handbook of Medical Technology Springer. ISBN 978-3-540-74657-7.
- Demosthenous, A., TRIANTIS, I. and Liu, X. (2008). Circuits for Implantable Neural Recording and Stimulation. In Iniewski, K. (Ed.), VLSI Circuits for Biomedical Applications Artech House Publishers. ISBN 978-1-59693-317-0.
- TRIANTIS, I., Demosthenous, A., Donaldson, N. and Rahal, M. (2007). ENG recording amplifier configurations for tripolar cuff electrodes. In Akay, M. (Ed.), Handbook of Neural Engineering (pp. 555–567). Wiley-IEEE Press. ISBN 978-0-470-06828-1.
- Ioakim, P. and Triantis, I.F. (2018). Auto-zero baseline correction circuit for MEMS accelerometer based seismic sensor.
- Shen, Y., Tsang, K.F., Triantis, I.F. and Lee, T.C.C. (2017). High frequency sensors for robust transmission in telemedicine system.
- Ioakim, P. and Triantis, I.F. (2017). The challenges of deriving displacement trends from MEMS accelerometric data.
- Shen, Y., Tsang, K.F., Hung, F.H. and Triantis, I.F. (2016). A 2.4 GHz CMOS power amplifier.
- Hashim, Z.Q., Constantinou, L., Kyriacou, P.A. and Triantis, I.F. (2016). A novel approach to transcutaneous localization of blood vessels using a dynamically reconfigurable electrode (DRE) array.
- May, J.M., Hickey, M., Triantis, I., Palazidou, E. and Kyriacou, P.A. (2014). Optical analysis of lithium carbonate: Towards the development of a portable lithium blood level analyzer for bipolar disorder patients.
- Kassanos, P. and Triantis, I.F. (2014). A CMOS multi-sine signal generator for multi-frequency bioimpedance measurements.
- Kassanos, P., Triantis, I.F. and Demosthenous, A. (2011). A novel front-end for impedance spectroscopy. IEEE Sensors 2011 October, Limerick, Ireland.
- TRIANTIS, I., Constantinou, L., Kassanos, P., Demosthenous, A. and Bayford, R. (2011). Towards the development of a fully integrated circuit for multi-frequency impedance measurements. 12th International Conference EIT Bath, UK.
- Triantis, I.F., Demosthenous, A., Rahal, M., Hong, H. and Bayford, R. (2011). A multi-frequency bioimpedance measurement ASIC for electrical impedance tomography.
- Constantinou, L., Demosthenous, A., Langlois, P., Bayford, R. and Triantis, I. (2011). An improved CMOS current driver for electrical impedance tomography.
- Woods, V.M., Triantis, I.F., Agathos, C. and Toumazou, C. (2011). "capacitive" pulse shapes for platinum cuff electrodes.
- Hong, H., Demosthenous, A., TRIANTIS, I., Langlois, P. and Bayford, R. (2010). A high output impedance CMOS current driver for bioimpedance measurement. IEEE BioCAS Paphos, Cyprus.
- Sharma, S., Radomska, A., TRIANTIS, I., Michelakis, K., Trzebinski, J., Field, B.C.T. … Cass, A.E.G. (2010). Ion sensitive field effect transistor based micro-fluidic devices for monitoring physiological changes. 20th World Congress Biosensors Glasgow, UK.
- Liu, X., Demosthenous, A., Triantis, I. and Donaldson, N. (2010). A current generator circuit for tripolar stimulation and insensitive to temperature and supply variations.
- Hong, H., Demosthenous, A., Triantis, I.F., Langlois, P. and Bayford, R. (2010). A high output impedance CMOS current driver for bioimpedance measurements.
- Eftekhar, A., Constandinou, T.G., Abbruzzese, D., Woods, V., TRIANTIS, I., Drakakis, E.M. … Toumazou, C. (2009). A Programmable Neural Interface for Investigating Arbitrary Stimulation Strategies. 14th Annual Conference IFESS.
- Woods, V.M., TRIANTIS, I. and Toumazou, C. (2008). A reconfigurable and automated system for the study of stimulus waveform parameters. 13th Annual Conference IFESS 21-25 September, Freiburg, Germany.
- Schuettler, M., TRIANTIS, I., Rubehn, B. and Stieglitz, T. (2007). Matrix cuff electrodes for fibre and fasicle selective peripheral nerve selective recording and stimulation. Proceedings of 12th Annual Conference IFESS 10-14 November, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
- Li, X., Constandinou, T., Eftekhar, A., Georgiou, P., TRIANTIS, I. and Toumazou, C. (2007). Towards a bionic neural link for implantable prosthetics. 3rd International IEEE/EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering 2-5 May, Kohala Coast, Hawaii.
- Eftekhar, A., Constandinou, T.G., Triantis, I.F., Toumazou, C. and Drakakist, E.M. (2007). Towards a reconfigurable sense-and-stimulate neural interface generating biphasic interleaved stimulus.
- Georgiou, P., Triantis, I.F., Constandinou, T.G. and Toumazou, C. (2007). Spiking Chemical Sensor (SCS): A new platform for neuro-chemical sensing.
- TRIANTIS, I. and Demosthenous, A. (2006). Bioelectric field simulations for studying cuff-electrode interface errors in peripheral nerve signal recordings. IEEE ITAB 26-28 October, Ioannina, Greece.
- TRIANTIS, I. (2006). An implantable system for nerve signal recording to treat spinal cord injury. 1st IDEALeague Summer School 17-22 September, Ascona, Switzerland.
- Triantis, I.F. and Demosthenous, A. (2006). Interference severity in nerve cuff recordings due to muscle source relative proximity.
- Triantis, I.F. and Demosthenous, A. (2005). An improved, very long time-constant CMOS integrator for use in implantable neuroprosthetic devices.
- Triantis, I.F. and Demosthenous, A. (2005). A bicmos ENG amplifier with high SIR output.
- TRIANTIS, I. and Demosthenous, A. (2004). An adaptive ENG amplifier for FES applications. IFESS/FESnet Bournemouth, UK.
- Triantis, I.F. and Demosthenous, A. (2004). A high-performance adaptive ENG amplifier.
- TRIANTIS, I., Demosthenous, A. and Donaldson, N. (2003). Comparison of three ENG tripolar cuff recording configurations. IEEE EMBS CNE 2003 20-22 March, Capri, Italy.
- TRIANTIS, I., Demosthenous, A., Donaldson, N. and Struijk, J. (2003). Experimental assessment of imbalance conditions in a tripolar cuff for ENG recordings. IEEE EMBS CNE 20-23 March, Capri, Italy.
- TRIANTIS, I., Demosthenous, A. and Donaldson, N. (2003). An ENG amplifier for EMG cancellation and cuff imbalance removal. EPSRC PREP '03 Exter, UK.
- TRIANTIS, I., Rieger, R., Taylor, J., Demosthenous, A. and Donaldson, N. (2002). A CMOS adaptive interference reduction system for nerve cuff recordings. 28th IEEE ESSCIRC 24-26 September, Florence, Italy.
- TRIANTIS, I., Donaldson, N. and Demosthenous, A. (2002). Saline-bath testing of a system for removing artifact from ENG signals. FESnet '02 Glasgow, UK.
- Triantis, I., Rieger, R., Taylor, J. and Donaldson, N. (2001). Adaptive interference reduction in nerve cuff electrode recordings.
- Triantis, I.F. Home Page.
- Qassem, M., Constantinou, L., Triantis, I., Hickey, M., Palazidou, E. and Kyriacou, P.A. (2018). A Novel Method for Low-Volume Measurement of Lithium in Human Blood to use in Personalized Monitoring of Lithium Treatment. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. doi:10.1109/TBME.2018.2836148.
- Constantinou, L., Triantis, I.F., Hickey, M. and Kyriacou, P.A. (2017). On the Merits of Tetrapolar Impedance Spectroscopy for Monitoring Lithium Concentration Variations in Human Blood Plasma. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 64(3), pp. 601–609. doi:10.1109/TBME.2016.2570125.
- May, J., Hickey, M., Triantis, I., Palazidou, E. and Kyriacou, P.A. (2015). Spectrophotometric analysis of lithium carbonate used for bipolar disorder. Biomedical Optics Express, 6(3), pp. 1067–1073. doi:10.1364/BOE.6.001067.
- Shen, Y., Tsang, K.F., Lee, W.C., Hung, F.H., Triantis, I.F. and Xuan, K. (2014). Design of low-phase-noise CMOS transformer-based gate-coupled quadrature VCO. Electronics Letters, 50(6), pp. 434–436. doi:10.1049/el.2014.0093.
- Kassanos, P., Constantinou, L., Triantis, I.F. and Demosthenous, A. (2014). An integrated analog readout for multi-frequency bioimpedance measurements. IEEE Sensors Journal, 14(8), pp. 2792–2800. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2014.2315963.
- Constantinou, L., Triantis, I.F., Bayford, R. and Demosthenous, A. (2014). High-Power CMOS Current Driver With Accurate Transconductance for Electrical Impedance Tomography. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems.
- Kassanos, P., Triantis, I.F. and Demosthenous, A. (2013). A CMOS magnitude/phase measurement chip for impedance spectroscopy. IEEE Sensors Journal, 13(6), pp. 2229–2236. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2013.2251628.
- Mou, Z., Triantis, I.F., Woods, V.M., Toumazou, C. and Nikolic, K. (2012). A simulation study of the combined thermoelectric extracellular stimulation of the sciatic nerve of the Xenopus laevis: the localized transient heat block. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, 59(6), pp. 1758–1769. doi:10.1109/TBME.2012.2194146.
- Woods, V.M., Triantis, I.F. and Toumazou, C. (2011). Offset prediction for charge-balanced stimulus waveforms. Journal of Neural Engineering, 8(4). doi:10.1088/1741-2560/8/4/046032.
- Sharma, S., Moniz, A.R.B., Triantis, I., Michelakis, K., Trzebinski, J., Azarbadegan, A. … Cass, A. (2011). An integrated silicon sensor with microfluidic chip for monitoring potassium and pH. Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 10(5), pp. 1119–1125. doi:10.1007/s10404-010-0740-y.
- Triantis, I.F. and Demosthenous, A. (2008). Tripolar-cuff deviation from ideal model: Assessment by bioelectric field simulations and saline-bath experiments. Medical Engineering and Physics, 30(5), pp. 550–562. doi:10.1016/j.medengphy.2007.06.002.
- Triantis, I.F. and Demosthenous, A. (2006). The effect of interference source proximity on cuff imbalance. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 53(2), pp. 354–357. doi:10.1109/TBME.2005.862569.
- Demosthenous, A. and Triantis, I.F. (2005). An adaptive ENG amplifier for tripolar cuff electrodes. IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, 40(2), pp. 412–420. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2004.840957.
- Triantis, I.F., Demosthenous, A. and Donaldson, N. (2005). On cuff imbalance and tripolar ENG amplifier configurations. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 52(2), pp. 314–320. doi:10.1109/TBME.2004.840470.
- Demosthenous, A., Taylor, J., Triantis, I.F., Rieger, R. and Donaldson, N. (2004). Design of an adaptive interference reduction system for nerve-cuff electrode recording. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, 51(4), pp. 629–639. doi:10.1109/TCSI.2004.823677.
- Woods, V.M., TRIANTIS, I. and Toumazou, C. Electrical Modeling of Platinum Polarization: Performance Trade-offs in Nerve Stimulation. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering.
- TRIANTIS, I. and Vekinis, S. (2011). An In-Vivo Plant Monitoring with Integrated in Real-Time Remedial Management and Certification System. Patent no. GB1116167.6
- TRIANTIS, I. and Toumazou, C. (2007). Methods and apparatus for stimulating activity in the peripheral nervous system. Patent no. GB0709542.5
- TRIANTIS, I. and Toumazou, C. Method and apparatus for measuring activity in the peripheral nervous system. Patent no. WO/2008/007065
- TRIANTIS, I., Woods, V., Eftekhar, A., Georgiou, P., Constandinou, T.G., Drakakis, E.M. … Toumazou, C. Advances in neural interfacing.