Dr Hamed Yazdani
Hamed is a senior lecturer (associate professor) in aerospace structures at the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Aeronautics at City, University of London. He has recently secured an EPSRC Joint Manufacturing Hubs grant on Contact-less Dielectric Process Monitoring (CDPM) of Composites Manufacturing (EPSRC Composites Manufacturing and EPSRC Metrology Hubs).
Hamed is a Fellow of Higher Education Academy, an associate member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers as Charter Engineer, a member of the European Society for Composite Materials, and an academic member of the SAE Commercial Aircraft Composite Repair Committee.
Hamed received his PhD in mechanical engineering on a collaborative project between the University of Limerick, Imperial College London and Helmholtz-Zentrüm Berlin. He worked at the Irish Centre for Composites Research as a post-doctoral researcher on three consecutive projects on composites materials, MAAXIMUS project funded through EU FP7 grant agreement nº213371 led by Airbus (www.maaximus.eu), Design of Optimised Composites for Impact Applications (OPTCOM) project funded by Enterprise Ireland (grant CF/2013/3012B), and the Science Foundation Ireland funded FALCOM project (www.falcom.ie) on a novel adhesively bonded composite joining technology.
Hamed joined Cranfield University in UK in 2016 as assistant professor in Composite Engineering at the Enhanced Composites and Structures Centre, where he developed and led the Multifunctional Composites Joining, Modelling and Repair research group (www.cranfield.ac.uk/multicomp), and established a CPD/postgraduate module on aerospace Composites Integration Repair & Joining (www.cranfield.ac.uk/CIRJ).
He has been the principal investigator of the EPSRC New Investigator project on 'Self-Tuning Fibre-Reinforced Polymer Adaptive Nanocomposite (www.STRAINcomp.com)', Ref. EP/R016828/1, EPSRC DTP grant for 'Microstructural Study of Multifunctional Nanocomposites', Ref. EP/R513027/1, and the EPSRC Institutional Sponsorship Award for 'Dielectric Activated Resin Cure for Composite Repair (DARCRep)', Ref. EP/P511134/1. He has also led a H2020 European Regional Development Funded project, and numerous direct industrial sponsored projects.
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
Memberships of committees
- Academic liaison, Search Results Web results AMS CACRC Commercial Aircraft Composite Repair Committee
- Member, European Society for Composite Materials
Memberships of professional organisations
- Chartered Engineer, IMechE: Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- (2016). Mechcomp2 2nd international conference of mechanics of composites. Società Editrice Esculapio. ISBN 978-88-7488-963-1.
- Li, D., Prevost, R., Ayre, D., Yoosefinejad, A., Lotfian, S., Brennan, F. … Nezhad, H.Y. (2020). Development of damage tolerant composite laminates using ultra-thin interlaminar electrospun thermoplastic nanofibres.
- Lotfian, S., Kumar, V.T., Giraudmaillet, C., Yoosefinejad, A., Brennan, F. and Nezhad, H.Y. (2020). Towards the use of electrospun piezoelectric nanofibre layers for enabling in-situ measurement in high performance composite laminates.
- Deane, S., Avdelidis, N.P., Ibarra-Castanedo, C., Yazdani Nezhad, H., Williamson, A., Zhang, H. … Tsourdos, A. (2019). Autonomous systems thermographic NDT of composite structures.
- Rahatekar, S., Li, W., Yazdani, H.N. and Koziol, K. (2019). Plasma-modified graphene for improved interfacial bonding of epoxy adhesives for the aerospace and automotive structures.
- Urbina, S.R., Ayre, D. and Nezhad, H.Y. (2019). Effect of hygrothermal cycles on mechanical performance of composite adhesively bonded joints.
- Hernandez, T.P.A., Mills, A.R. and Nezhad, H.Y. (2019). Comparative study of strain energy storage mechanisms between carbon fibre-reinforced PEEK and epoxy composites subjected to static and cyclic loading.
- (2018). ICCS21. 21ST INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON COMPOSITE STRUCTURES.
- Hernandez, T., Mills, A. and Nezhad, H.Y. (2018). A design and manufacturing investigation of carbon fibre-reinforced PEEK and epoxy composite leaf spring components.
- Nezhad, H.Y., Auffray, A., McCarthy, C.T. and O'Higgins, R. (2015). Impact damage response of carbon fibre-reinforced aerospace composite panels.
- Nezhad, H.Y., O'Dowd, N.P., Davies, C.M., Mehmanparast, A.N. and Nikbin, K.M. (2012). Influence of prior deformation on creep crack growth behaviour of 316H austenitic steels.
- Nezhad, H.Y., O'Dowd, N.P., Davies, C.M., Nikbin, K.M. and Wimpory, R.C. (2011). Study of creep relaxation behaviour of 316H austenitic steels under mechanically induced residual stress.
- Nezhad, H.Y. and O'Dowd, N.P. (2010). Prediction of transient creep response under combined primary and secondary loading.
- Nezhad, H.Y. and O'Dowd, N.P. (2010). The effect of combined residual and mechanical stress on creep relaxation.
- Yazdani-Nejad, H. and Hadidi-Moud, S. (2008). Progressive crack propagation in Bi-material adhesive bonding.
- Daminabo, S.C., Goel, S., Grammatikos, S.A., Nezhad, H.Y. and Thakur, V.K. (2020). Fused deposition modeling-based additive manufacturing (3D printing): techniques for polymer material systems. Materials Today Chemistry, 16. doi:10.1016/j.mtchem.2020.100248.
- An, D., Lotfian, S., Mesbah, D., Ayre, D., Yoosefinejad, A., Thakur, V.K. … Yazdani Nezhad, H. (2019). Ultra-thin electrospun nanofibers for development of damage-tolerant composite laminates. Materials Today Chemistry, 14. doi:10.1016/j.mtchem.2019.100202.
- Liu, Y., Zhang, X., Lemanski, S., Nezhad, H.Y. and Ayre, D. (2019). Experimental and numerical study of process-induced defects and their effect on fatigue debonding in composite joints. International Journal of Fatigue, 125, pp. 47–57. doi:10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2019.03.033.
- Deane, S., Avdelidis, N.P., Ibarra-Castanedo, C., Zhang, H., Yazdani Nezhad, H., Williamson, A.A. … Tsourdos, A. (2019). Application of NDT thermographic imaging of aerospace structures. Infrared Physics and Technology, 97, pp. 456–466. doi:10.1016/j.infrared.2019.02.002.
- Sirikham, A., Zhao, Y., Nezhad, H.Y., Du, W. and Roy, R. (2019). Estimation of Damage Thickness in Fiber-Reinforced Composites using Pulsed Thermography. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 15(1), pp. 445–453. doi:10.1109/TII.2018.2878758.
- Mgbemena, C.O., Li, D., Lin, M.F., Liddel, P.D., Katnam, K.B., Kumar, V.T. … Nezhad, H.Y. (2018). Accelerated microwave curing of fibre-reinforced thermoset polymer composites for structural applications: A review of scientific challenges. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 115, pp. 88–103. doi:10.1016/j.compositesa.2018.09.012.
- Liu, Y., Lemanski, S., Zhang, X., Ayre, D. and Nezhad, H.Y. (2018). A finite element study of fatigue crack propagation in single lap bonded joint with process-induced disbond. International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 87, pp. 164–172. doi:10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2018.10.005.
- Nezhad, H.Y. and Thakur, V.K. (2018). Effect of morphological changes due to increasing carbon nanoparticles content on the quasi-static mechanical response of epoxy resin. Polymers, 10(10). doi:10.3390/polym10101106.
- Lotfian, S., Giraudmaillet, C., Yoosefinejad, A., Thakur, V.K. and Nezhad, H.Y. (2018). Electrospun Piezoelectric Polymer Nanofiber Layers for Enabling in Situ Measurement in High-Performance Composite Laminates. ACS Omega, 3(8), pp. 8891–8902. doi:10.1021/acsomega.8b00940.
- Nezhad, H.Y., Stratakis, D., Ayre, D., Addepalli, S. and Zhao, Y. (2018). Mechanical performance of composite bonded joints in the presence of localised process-induced zero-thickness defects. Procedia Manufacturing, 16, pp. 91–98. doi:10.1016/j.promfg.2018.10.175.
- Yazdani Nezhad, H., Egan, B., Merwick, F. and McCarthy, C.T. (2017). Bearing damage characteristics of fibre-reinforced countersunk composite bolted joints subjected to quasi-static shear loading. Composite Structures, 166, pp. 184–192. doi:10.1016/j.compstruct.2017.01.029.
- Yazdani Nezhad, H., Zhao, Y., Liddel, P.D., Marchante, V. and Roy, R. (2017). A novel process-linked assembly failure model for adhesively bonded composite structures. CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 66(1), pp. 29–32. doi:10.1016/j.cirp.2017.04.103.
- Bhanushali, R., Ayre, D. and Nezhad, H.Y. (2017). Tensile Response of Adhesively Bonded Composite-to-composite Single-lap Joints in the Presence of Bond Deficiency. Procedia CIRP, 59, pp. 139–143. doi:10.1016/j.procir.2016.09.021.
- Zhou, Y., Yazdani Nezhad, H., Hou, C., Wan, X., McCarthy, C.T. and McCarthy, M.A. (2015). A three dimensional implicit finite element damage model and its application to single-lap multi-bolt composite joints with variable clearance. Composite Structures, 131, pp. 1060–1072. doi:10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.06.073.
- Yazdani Nezhad, H. and O'Dowd, N.P. (2015). Creep relaxation in the presence of residual stress. Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 138, pp. 250–264. doi:10.1016/j.engfracmech.2015.03.037.
- Yazdani Nezhad, H., Merwick, F., Frizzell, R.M. and McCarthy, C.T. (2015). Numerical analysis of low-velocity rigid-body impact response of composite panels. International Journal of Crashworthiness, 20(1), pp. 27–43. doi:10.1080/13588265.2014.963378.
- Zhou, Y., Yazdani-Nezhad, H., McCarthy, M.A., Wan, X. and McCarthy, C. (2014). A study of intra-laminar damage in double-lap, multi-bolt, composite joints with variable clearance using continuum damage mechanics. Composite Structures, 116(1), pp. 441–452. doi:10.1016/j.compstruct.2014.05.051.
- Yazdani Nezhad, H. and O'Dowd, N.P. (2012). Study of creep relaxation under combined mechanical and residual stresses. Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 93, pp. 132–152. doi:10.1016/j.engfracmech.2012.06.013.