Dr Feng Fu
Prior to joining academia, he worked for several world leading consultancy companies and was involved in the design of several prestigious construction projects worldwide,such as the tallest building in Western Europe,the Shard in London. He worked at advance analysis team in WSP Group Ltd London followed his work as a Structural Engineer in Waterman Group Ltd London. In China, He also worked as Structural Engineer for one of the best design companies in China, Beijing Institute of Architectural Design and Research before his study of PhD in UK. When he was doing his Master in structural Engineering, he worked as a research assistant in China Academy of Building research, worked on research projects funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China. He received his PhD from University of Leeds and MBA from University of Manchester. He obtained his MSc and BSc from Beijing University of Technology respectively. He is a Chartered Structural Engineer and Professional Member of American Society of Civil Engineering and Institution of Civil Engineers.
Dr Fu has extensive research experience in the area of progressive collapse, structural fire analysis of tall buildings and long span structures, Tensegrity structures and composite joints. He specialized in advanced numerical modelling and developed several modelling programs using different programming languages.He also carried out several full scale tests on composite joints. His recent research has been focussed on investigating the behaviour of high-rise buildings, bridges and offshore structures under extreme loads such as blast and fire using advanced 3-D numerical modelling techniques. He has published a number of refereed journal papers as the first author, 3 books. And he is also the reviewer for more than 22 international Journals. He is also the editorial board member for two international journals.
03/2013 - to date City University London, Lecturer in Structural Engineering
04/2010 - 03/2013 University of Bradford, Lecturer in Structural Engineering
05/2007 - 03/2010 WSP Group Ltd, Structural Engineer
03/2006 - 05/2007 Waterman Plc, Structural Engineer
Membership of professional bodies
Institution of Structural Engineers, Chartered Engineer
Engineering Council, Chartered Engineer
Institution of Civil Engineers, Member
American Society of Civil Engineers, Full Membership
The Higher Education Academy, Fellow
SEI - Structural Engineering Institute, American Society of Civil Engineers, Member
Second place winner, IStructE Young Researchers' Competition, Institute of Structural Engineer
WUN award sponsored Visiting scholar to University of California, San Diego , Worldwide University Network,
Committees and Task Groups
Committee member of IstructE North Thames Branch
Member of Disproportionate Collapse Mitigation of Building Structure Standards and Member of Blast Protection of Building Standard, American Society of Civil Engineers
- MBA Finance, University of Manchester, United Kingdom, 2009
- PhD Civil Engineering, University of Leeds, United Kingdom, 2006
- Postgraduate Certificate of Higher Education, University of Bradford, United Kingdom, 2012
Memberships of professional organisations
- Disproportionate Collapse Mitigation Of Bldg Str Standards, American Society of Civil Engineers
- SEI - Structural Engineering Institute, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Committee member of IstructE north Thames Branch
- Behaviour of tall buildings under explosion and earthquake
- Advanced modelling of tall buildings under fire conditions
- Progressive collapse analysis of long span structure under earthquake, explosion and fire
- Full scale testing on steel composite structures under extreme loading condition.
1. 2017,Virdi, Kuldeep and Feng Fu, "Steel cladding systems for stabilization of steel buildings in fire", European Commission Research Fund for Coal and Steel (RFCS). Funder reference: STABFI (751583), Project value €1,438,020.85, shared with other 8 EU Partners.
2. 2016, PI, "Behavior of tall buildings under fire loading", British Council Tavel Grant.
3. 2014,PI,"Assessment of the progressive collapse potential in tall buildings with 3D FE method", ,Institution of Civil Engineers QUEST Travel Award.
M Jamalan (current PhD student)
Thesis title: Numerical Analysis of FRP Concrete under fire
Further information: First supervisor
M. Vafaei Shalmani (current PhD student)
Thesis title: Progressive collapse analysis of buidling under earthquake loading
Further information: First Supervisor
A. BAZGIR (Current PhD student)
Thesis title: Research on the ductility of the steel fibre reinforced concrete
Further information: First supervisor
- Fu, F. (2009). Progressive collapse analysis of high-rise building with 3-D finite element modeling method. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 65(6), pp. 1269–1278. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.02.001.
- Fu, F. (2005). Structural behavior and design methods of Tensegrity domes. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 61(1), pp. 23–25. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2004.06.004.
- Fu, F. (2018). Design and Analysis of Tall and Complex Structures. Butterworth-Heinemann. ISBN 978-0-08-101121-8.
- Fu, F. (2016). Structural Analysis and Design to Prevent Disproportionate Collapse. CRC Press. ISBN 978-1-4987-0680-3.
- Fu, F. (2015). Advanced Modeling Techniques in Structural Design. ISBN 978-1-118-82544-0.
- Bazgir, A. and Fu, F. (2017). Experimental investigation on the behaviour of steel fibers reinforced concrete under impact loading. , 2nd International Conference on Structural Safety Under Fire and Blast Loading 10 Sep 2017 – 12 Dec 2017, Brunel University London, London.
- Fu, F. and Karli, M. (2017). CAPACITY OF RECYCLED AGGREGATE CONCRETE UNDER NORMAL AND EXTREME LOADING CONDITIONS. Leadership in Sustainable Infrastructure, CSCE Annual conference and annual general meeting, 31 May 2017 – 3 Jun 2017, Vancouver, Canada.
- Fu, F. (2016). Collapse Mechanism of Space Structures under heavy snow loading. The 2016 World Congress 28 Aug 2016 – 1 Sep 2016, Jeju Korea.
- Fu, F. (2014). Assessment of the progressive collapse potential in tall buildings with 3D FE method.
- Fu, F. (2013). Behaviour of tall buildings under blast loading with direct simulation method. 5th International Conference on Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation, SEMC 2013 2-4 September, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Fu, F. (2012). Resistance of Tall building to Progressive collapse with 3-D Finite element method,. 10th international conference on advanced in steel concrete composite and hybrid structures 2-4 July, Singapore.
- Fu, F. (2011). Response of multi-storey steel composite frame buildings under different column removal scenarios. Euro Steel Budapest.
- Lam, D., Ye, J. and Fu, F. (2007). Parametric study of semi-rigid composite joint with precast hollowcore slabs. 3rd International Conference on Steel and Composite Structures ICSCS07 - Steel and Composite Structures 30 Jul 2007 – 1 Aug 2007, Manchester.
- Lam, D. and Fu, F. (2006). Behaviour of semi-rigid composite beam - Column connections with steel beams and precast hollow core slabs. Composite Construction in Steel and Concrete V 1 July, USA.
- Lam, D., Ye, J.Q., Fu, F. and ASCCS, (2006). Finite element modelung of semi-rigid composite joints with precast hollow core slabs.
- Fu, F. (2005). The behaviour of composite steel beams with precast hollowcore slabs in hogging moment regions. The Fourth International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures 13-15 June, Shanghai.
- Fu, F. (2004). The Structural Behavior of Georgia Dome-----the first Tensegrity Dome. second International Conference on Steel and Composite Structures Seoul, Korea.
- Fu, F. and Lan, T.T. (2002). A study of Tensegity Cable Dome. Fifth International Conference on Space Structure 19-21 August, University of surrey.
- Zhou, H., Zhang, Y.G., Fu, F. and Wu, J.Z. (2018). Progressive Collapse Analysis of Reticulated Shell under Severe Earthquake considering the Damage Accumulation Effect. Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, 32(2). doi:10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0001129.
- Xu, M., Gao, S., Guo, L.H., Fu, F. and Zhang, S.M. (2018). Study on collapse mechanism of steel frame with CFST-columns under column-removal scenario. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 141, pp. 275–286. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2017.11.020.
- Fu, F. and Parke, G.A. (2018). Assessment of the Progressive Collapse Resistance of Double-layer Grid Space Structures using implicit and explicit solvers. International Journal of Steel Structures.
- Gao, S., Guo, L.H., Fu, F. and Zhang, S.M. (2017). Capacity of semi-rigid composite joints in accommodating column loss. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 139(12), pp. 288–301. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2017.09.029.
- Liu, F., Fu, F., Wang, Y. and Liu, Q. (2017). Fire performance of non-load-bearing light-gauge slotted steel stud walls. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 137, pp. 228–241. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2017.06.034.
- Liu, D.Z., Wang, F.Y., Fu, F. and Wang, H. (2017). Experimental Research on the Failure Mechanism of Foam Concrete with C-Channel Embedment. Computers and Concrete, An International Journal, 20(3), pp. 263–273. doi:10.12989/cac.2017.20.3.263.
- Huo, J., Zhang, J., Liu, Y. and Fu, F. (2017). Dynamic Behaviour and Catenary Action of Axially-restrained Steel Beam Under Impact Loading. Structures, 11, pp. 84–96. doi:10.1016/j.istruc.2017.04.005.
- Fu, F. (2017). Grenfell Tower disaster: how did the fire spread so quickly? BBC Australia , The Conversation.
- Yazdanian, M. and Fu, F. (2017). Parametric study on dynamic behavior of rectangular concrete storage tanks. Coupled Systems Mechanics, 6(2), pp. 189–206. doi:10.12989/csm.2017.6.2.189.
- Fu, F. (2016). 3D finite element analysis of the whole-building behavior of tall building in fire. Advances in Computational Design, 1(4), pp. 329–344. doi:10.12989/acd.2016.1.4.329.
- Yang, Y., Wang, Y., Fu, F. and Liu, J. (2015). Static behavior of T-shaped concrete-filled steel tubular columns subjected to concentric and eccentric compressive loads. Thin-Walled Structures, 95, pp. 374–388. doi:10.1016/j.tws.2015.07.009.
- Yang, Y.F., Zhang, Z.C. and Fu, F. (2015). Experimental and numerical study on square RACFST members under lateral impact loading. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 111, pp. 43–56. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.04.004.
- Guo, L., Gao, S. and Fu, F. (2015). Structural performance of semi-rigid composite frame under column loss. Engineering Structures, 95, pp. 112–126. doi:10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.03.049.
- Qu, H., Huo, J., Xu, C. and Fu, F. (2014). Numerical studies on dynamic behavior of tubular T-joint subjected to impact loading. International Journal of Impact Engineering, 67, pp. 12–26. doi:10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2014.01.002.
- Yang, Y., Wang, Y. and Fu, F. (2014). Effect of reinforcement stiffeners on square concrete-filled steel tubular columns subjected to axial compressive load. Thin-Walled Structures, 82, pp. 132–144. doi:10.1016/j.tws.2014.04.009.
- Guo, L., Gao, S., Fu, F. and Wang, Y. (2013). Experimental study and numerical analysis of progressive collapse resistance of composite frames. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 89, pp. 236–251. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.07.006.
- Fu, F. (2013). Dynamic response and robustness of tall buildings under blast loading. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 80, pp. 299–307. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.10.001.
- Fu, F. (2012). Response of a multi-storey steel composite building with concentric bracing under consecutive column removal scenarios. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 70, pp. 115–126. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2011.10.012.
- Fu, F. (2010). 3-D nonlinear dynamic progressive collapse analysis of multi-storey steel composite frame buildings - Parametric study. Engineering Structures, 32(12), pp. 3974–3980. doi:10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.09.008.
- Fu, F., Lam, D. and Ye, J. (2010). Moment resistance and rotation capacity of semi-rigid composite connections with precast hollowcore slabs. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 66(3), pp. 452–461. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.10.016.
- Fu, F. (2009). The structural behaviour of composite connections with steel beams and precast hollow core slabs. Advanced Steel Construction, 5(1), pp. 96–105.
- Fu, F., Lam, D. and Ye, J. (2008). Modelling semi-rigid composite joints with precast hollowcore slabs in hogging moment region. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 64(12), pp. 1408–1419. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.01.012.
- Lam, D., Ye, J. and Fu, F. (2007). Analytical model of semi-rigid composite joints with steel beams and precast hollowcore slabs. Structural Engineering Research Frontiers. doi:10.1061/40944(249)65.
- Fu, F., Lam, D. and Ye, J. (2007). Parametric study of semi-rigid composite connections with 3-D finite element approach. Engineering Structures, 29(6), pp. 888–898. doi:10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.07.003.
- Fu, F. and Lam, D. (2006). Experimental study on semi-rigid composite joints with steel beams and precast hollowcore slabs. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 62(8), pp. 771–782. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.11.013.
- Fu, F. (2006). Non-linear static analysis and design of Tensegrity domes. Steel and Composite Structures, 6(5), pp. 417–433. doi:10.12989/scs.2006.6.5.417.
- Proceedings of institutions of Civil Engineers, structures and buildings, Editorial board member, Nov 2017 – present.
- The 2016 World Congress, 28 Aug 2016, Jeju Korea, Mini Symposium organizer and Chair, Aug – Sep 2016.
- International Journal of Advances in Computational Design, Editorial Board member, Jun 2015 – present.
1. Engineering structure (Elsevier)
2. Journal of Structural Engineering (ASCE)
3. Journal of Structural Engineering and Mechanics (Techno-Press)
4. International Journal of steel and composite structures(Techno-Press)
5. Journal of Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory(Elsevier)
6. Journal of advances in structural Engineering (Multi-Science)
7. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics(Wiley)
8. Journal of Advances in Civil Engineering (Hindawi Publishing Co)
9. Scientia Iranica, International journal of science and Technology (Elsevier)
10. The structural design of Tall and Special Buildings (Wiley)
11. Journal of Zhejiang University-SCIENCE A (Springer)
12. Journal of Engineering Mathematics (Springer)
13. Proceedings of the ICE - Structures and Buildings(ICE Publishing)
14. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering (Taylor & Francis )
15. Thin-Walled Structures (Elsevier) 16. International Journal of Steel Structures(Springer)
17. Maritime Engineering Journal (ICE Publishing)
19. Journal of Constructional Steel research (Elsevier)
20 Construction and Building Materials (Elsevier)
21Earthquakes and Structures, An International Journal(Techno-Press)
22 Advances in Computational design (Techno-Press), Referee.
- Book Reviewer, ICE Publishing,2014.
- Book Reviewer,Elsevier Science & Technology, 2011.
- 1st International Conference on Seismic Design of Structures and Foundations, Technical Advisory Panel.
- 2nd International conference on Structural Safety Under Fire & Blast 2017, International Advisory Committee.
- Current design and research on tall buildings in U.K. Dalian Institute of Technology (2014).
- The current development of tall building design in the global design market and progressive collapse analysis of tall building. Hunan University, China (2012).
- Behaviour of Tall buildings under fire loading. Astana, Kazakhstan (2016). Workshop on Resilient Structures and Infrastructure
- Current design and research on structure under extreme loading. Changchun, Jilin (2015).
- Research on disproportionate collapse of tall buildings. Harbin, Heilongjiang, China (2012).
- Modelling Complex Structures in Modern Construction Projects. Imperial College (2016). With the fast development of modern construction technology, increasing complex buildings were built in the past decades. It is widely recognized by most of the engineers that, without using advanced modelling techniques, most of these buildings would not have been designed. It also requires structural engineers to have the ability to handle the increasing difficulty in designing more complicated projects required by both clients and architects. This requires the capacity of an engineer to use modern software packages and understand related analysis theories. In this evening talk, the most popular software used in the current design practice such as ANSYS, ABAQUS, SAP2000, ETABS will be introduced and how to choose between them will also be discussed. The way to set up complex model and relevant theory underpin the analysis will also be illustrated. Different modelling examples such as tall buildings, long span structures as well as blast analysis, buckling analysis, earthquake analysis will be demonstrated.
- "Una burilla o un mòbil poden causar un incendi com el de la torre Grenfell". Interviewed by Newspaper ARA, Spain, regarding fire safety design and the causes of the fire in Grenfell Tower
- How did the fire spread so quickly in Genfell Tower. Radio Interview,Voice of Islam - Drive Time Show