Dr Feng Fu
Dr Feng Fu is a Chartered Structural Engineer and Professional Member of American Society of Civil Engineering and Institution of Civil Engineers.Prior to joining academia, he worked for several world leading consultancy companies and was involved in the design of extensive prestigious construction projects worldwide, such as the tallest building in Western Europe, the Shard in London. He worked at advance analysis team in WSP Group Ltd London followed his work as a Structural Engineer in Waterman Group Ltd London. In China, He also worked as a structural engineer for one of the best design companies in China, Beijing Institute of Architectural Design and Research before his study of PhD in UK. When he was doing his Master in structural Engineering, he worked as a research assistant in China Academy of Building research, worked on research projects funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China. He received his PhD in Structural Engineering from University of Leeds, MSc in software Engineering from University of Oxford and MBA from University of Manchester. He obtained his MSc and BSc in Structural Engineering from Beijing University of Technology respectively.
Dr Fu has extensive research experience in the area of progressive collapse, structural fire analysis of tall buildings and long span structures, Tensegrity structures and composite joints. He specialized in advanced numerical modelling and developed several modelling programs using different programming languages.He also carried out several full scale tests on composite joints. His recent research has been focussed on investigating the behaviour of high-rise buildings, bridges and offshore structures under extreme loads such as blast and fire using advanced 3-D numerical modelling techniques. He has published a number of refereed journal papers as the first author, three popular text books by three top publishers in the world. And he is also the reviewer for more than 22 international Journals. He is also the editorial board member for two international journals.
03/2013 - to date City University London, Lecturer in Structural Engineering
04/2010 - 03/2013 University of Bradford, Lecturer in Structural Engineering
05/2007 - 03/2010 WSP Group Ltd, Structural Engineer
03/2006 - 05/2007 Waterman Plc, Structural Engineer
Editorial board member,Proceedings of institutions of Civil Engineers, structures and buildings (SCI Journal), Nov 2017 – present.
Editorial Board member, International Journal of Advances in Computational Design(ESCI Journal), Jun 2015 – present.
Member of Technical Advisory Panel,1st International Conference on Seismic Design of Structures and Foundations,
Member of International Advisory Committee.2nd International conference on Structural Safety Under Fire & Blast 2017
Membership of professional bodies
Institution of Structural Engineers, Chartered Engineer
Engineering Council, Chartered Engineer
Institution of Civil Engineers, Member
American Society of Civil Engineers, Full Membership
The Higher Education Academy, Fellow
SEI - Structural Engineering Institute, American Society of Civil Engineers, Member
Second place winner, IStructE Young Researchers' Competition, Institute of Structural Engineer
WUN award sponsored Visiting scholar to University of California, San Diego , Worldwide University Network,
Committees and Task Groups
Vice Chair of Institution of Structural Engineers, North Thames Branch
Member of Disproportionate Collapse Mitigation of Building Structure Standards and Member of Blast Protection of Building Standard, American Society of Civil Engineers
- MSc in Software Engineering, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, Jan 2017 – Dec 2018
- MBA, University of Manchester, United Kingdom, Jul 2006 – Jun 2009
- PhD in Structural Engineering, University of Leeds, United Kingdom, Oct 2002 – Feb 2006
- Postgraduate Certificate of Higher Education, University of Bradford, United Kingdom, 2012
Memberships of professional organisations
- Disproportionate Collapse Mitigation Of Bldg Str Standards, American Society of Civil Engineers
- SEI - Structural Engineering Institute, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Committee member of IstructE north Thames Branch
Chinese (Mandarin) (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review) and English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).
- Behaviour of tall buildings under explosion and earthquake
- Advanced modelling of tall buildings under fire conditions
- Progressive collapse analysis of long span structure under earthquake, explosion and fire
- Full scale testing on steel composite structures under extreme loading condition.
1. 2017,Virdi, Kuldeep and Feng Fu, "Steel cladding systems for stabilization of steel buildings in fire", European Commission Research Fund for Coal and Steel (RFCS). Funder reference: STABFI (751583), Project value €1,438,020.85, shared with other 8 EU Partners.
2. 2016, PI, "Behavior of tall buildings under fire loading", British Council Tavel Grant.
3. 2014,PI,"Assessment of the progressive collapse potential in tall buildings with 3D FE method", ,Institution of Civil Engineers QUEST Travel Award.
Attendance: Mar 2018 – present, part-time
Thesis title: Experimental test of Nano fiber reinforce concrete under elevated temperature
Role: 1st Supervisor
Mr Yousef Eilbeygi
Attendance: Feb 2018 – present, full-time
Thesis title: Multi-hazard analysis of tall building under earthquake and fire loading
Role: 1st Supervisor
Mr Ervin Duka
Attendance: Mar 2017 – present, full-time
Thesis title: Multi-hazard analysis of nuclear container under blast and fire loading
Role: 1st Supervisor
Attendance: Feb 2016 – present, full-time
Thesis title: Numerical modelling of FRP bar reinforced concrete under blast loading
Role: 1st Supervisor
Ms.VU Thuy Dung
Attendance: Feb 2016 – present, full-time
Thesis title: • Reliability based design of steel buildings under blast loading using machine learning approach
Role: 1st Supervisor
Attendance: Oct 2013 – Oct 2015, full-time
Thesis title: Research on the ductility of the steel fibre reinforced concrete
Role: 1st Supervisor
Further information: First supervisor
M Jamalan (current PhD student)
Thesis title: Numerical Analysis of FRP Concrete under fire
Further information: First supervisor
M. Vafaei Shalmani (current PhD student)
Thesis title: Progressive collapse analysis of buidling under earthquake loading
Further information: First Supervisor
- Fu, F. (2009). Progressive collapse analysis of high-rise building with 3-D finite element modeling method. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 65(6), pp. 1269–1278. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.02.001.
- Fu, F. (2005). Structural behavior and design methods of Tensegrity domes. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 61(1), pp. 23–35. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2004.06.004.
- Fu, F. (2018). Design and Analysis of Tall and Complex Structures. ISBN 978-0-08-101018-1.
- Fu, F. (2016). Structural Analysis and Design to Prevent Disproportionate Collapse. CRC Press. ISBN 978-1-4987-0680-3.
- Fu, F. (2016). Structural Analysis and Design to Prevent Disproportionate Collapse. CRC Press. ISBN 978-1-4987-8820-5.
- Fu, F. (2015). Advanced Modeling Techniques in Structural Design. ISBN 978-1-118-82543-3.
- Fu, F. (2018). Bracing, Diagrid, 3D Space Frame, and Mega Frame Structural Systems in Tall Buildings. Design and Analysis of Tall and Complex Structures (pp. 137–175). Elsevier. ISBN 978-0-08-101018-1.
- Liu, D. and Fu, F. (2018). RESISTANCE OF SHEAR CONNECTORS IN COMPSOSITE FOAM CONCRETE USING C-CHANNEL EMBEDMENT. Ninth International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures 5-7 December, Hong Kong, China.
- Fu, F., Liu, D. and Wang, F. (2018). Failure Mechanism of Foam Concrete with C-Channel Embedment. 12th international conference on ‘Advances in Steel-Concrete Composite Structures’ - ASCCS 2018 27-29 June.
- Jamalan, M.H. and Fu, D.F. (2018). Numerical Analysis on Bond Strength of FRP Re-bars under Elevated Temperature.
- Bazgir, A. and Fu, F. (2017). Experimental investigation on the behaviour of steel fibers reinforced concrete under impact loading. , 2nd International Conference on Structural Safety Under Fire and Blast Loading 10 Sep 2017 – 12 Dec 2017, Brunel University London, London.
- Fu, F. and Karli, M. (2017). CAPACITY OF RECYCLED AGGREGATE CONCRETE UNDER NORMAL AND EXTREME LOADING CONDITIONS. Leadership in Sustainable Infrastructure, CSCE Annual conference and annual general meeting, 31 May 2017 – 3 Jun 2017, Vancouver, Canada.
- Fu, F. (2016). Collapse Mechanism of Space Structures under heavy snow loading. The 2016 World Congress 28 Aug 2016 – 1 Sep 2016, Jeju Korea.
- Fu, F. (2016). Behaviour of tall buildings under fire loading. International Workshop on Resilient Structures and Infrastructure 14-17 March, Nazarbayev University, Astana, Kazakhstan.
- Brown-Grant, R. (2015). Introduction.
- Fu, F. (2014). Assessment of the progressive collapse potential in tall buildings with 3D FE method.
- Fu, F. (2013). Behaviour of tall buildings under blast loading with direct simulation method. 5th International Conference on Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation, SEMC 2013 2-4 September, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Fu, F. (2012). Resistance of Tall building to Progressive collapse with 3-D Finite element method,. 10th international conference on advanced in steel concrete composite and hybrid structures 2-4 July, Singapore.
- Fu, F. (2011). Response of multi-storey steel composite frame buildings under different column removal scenarios. Euro Steel Budapest.
- Lam, D., Ye, J. and Fu, F. (2007). Parametric study of semi-rigid composite joint with precast hollowcore slabs. 3rd International Conference on Steel and Composite Structures ICSCS07 - Steel and Composite Structures 30 Jul 2007 – 1 Aug 2007, Manchester.
- Lam, D. and Fu, F. (2006). Behaviour of semi-rigid composite beam - Column connections with steel beams and precast hollow core slabs. Composite Construction in Steel and Concrete V 1 July, USA.
- Lam, D., Ye, J.Q., Fu, F. and ASCCS, (2006). Finite element modelung of semi-rigid composite joints with precast hollow core slabs.
- Fu, F. (2005). The behaviour of composite steel beams with precast hollowcore slabs in hogging moment regions. The Fourth International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures 13-15 June, Shanghai.
- Lam, D. and Fu, F. (2005). Modelling of semi-rigid composite beam-column connections with precast hollowcore slabs. Fourth International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures 13-15 June, Shanghai, China.
- Fu, F. (2004). The Structural Behavior of Georgia Dome-----the first Tensegrity Dome. second International Conference on Steel and Composite Structures Seoul, Korea.
- Fu, F. and Lan, T.T. (2002). A study of Tensegity Cable Dome. Fifth International Conference on Space Structure 19-21 August, University of surrey.
- Guo, L., Liu, Y., Fu, F. and Huang, H. (2019). Behavior of axially loaded circular stainless steel tube confined concrete stub columns. Thin-Walled Structures, 139, pp. 66–76. doi:10.1016/j.tws.2019.02.014.
- Yang, Y.F. and Fu, F. (2019). Fire resistance of steel beam to square CFST column composite joints using RC slabs: Experiments and numerical studies. Fire Safety Journal, 104, pp. 90–108. doi:10.1016/j.firesaf.2019.01.009.
- Qian, K., Zhang, X.-.D., Fu, F. and Li, B. (2019). Progressive Collapse Resisting Mechanisms of Planar Prestressed Concrete Frame. ACI STRUCTURAL JOURNAL.
- Liu, D., Wang, F. and Fu, F. (2018). Experimental Research on the Shear Connectors in Foam Concrete with C-Channel Embedment. International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials, 12(1). doi:10.1186/s40069-018-0281-4.
- Yang, Y.F., Liu, M. and Fu, F. (2018). Experimental and numerical investigation on the performance of three-legged CFST latticed columns under lateral cyclic loadings. Thin-Walled Structures, 132, pp. 176–194. doi:10.1016/j.tws.2018.08.016.
- Fu, F. and Parke, G.A.R. (2018). Assessment of the Progressive Collapse Resistance of Double-Layer Grid Space Structures Using Implicit and Explicit Methods. International Journal of Steel Structures, 18(3), pp. 831–842. doi:10.1007/s13296-018-0030-1.
- Jamalan, M.H. and Fu, F. (2018). Numerical Analysis on Bond Strength of FRP Rebars under Elevated Temperature. IOP Conference Series : Materials Science and Engineering, 371.
- Zhou, H., Zhang, Y., Fu, F. and Wu, J. (2018). Progressive Collapse Analysis of Reticulated Shell Structure under Severe Earthquake Loading Considering the Damage Accumulation Effect. Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, 32(2). doi:10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0001129.
- Fu, F. (2018). Editorial. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Structures and Buildings, 171(4), pp. 271–272. doi:10.1680/jstbu.2018.171.4.271.
- Xu, M., Gao, S., Guo, L., Fu, F. and Zhang, S. (2018). Study on collapse mechanism of steel frame with CFST-columns under column-removal scenario. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 141, pp. 275–286. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2017.11.020.
- Gao, S., Guo, L., Fu, F. and Zhang, S. (2017). Capacity of semi-rigid composite joints in accommodating column loss. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 139, pp. 288–301. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2017.09.029.
- Liu, F., Fu, F., Wang, Y. and Liu, Q. (2017). Fire performance of non-load-bearing light-gauge slotted steel stud walls. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 137, pp. 228–241. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2017.06.034.
- Liu, D., Wang, F., Fu, F. and Wang, H. (2017). Experimental research on the failure mechanism of foam concrete with C-Channel embedment. Computers and Concrete, 20(3), pp. 263–273. doi:10.12989/cac.2017.20.3.263.
- Huo, J., Zhang, J., Liu, Y. and Fu, F. (2017). Dynamic Behaviour and Catenary Action of Axially-restrained Steel Beam Under Impact Loading. Structures, 11, pp. 84–96. doi:10.1016/j.istruc.2017.04.005.
- Fu, F. (2017). How did London tower block fire spread so fast and kill so many? New Scientist.
- Fu, F. (2017). Grenfell Tower disaster: how did the fire spread so quickly? BBC Australia , The Conversation.
- Fu, F. (2017). London tower fire: How did the Grenfell Tower blaze spread so quickly? ABC News.
- Yazdanian, M. and Fu, F. (2017). Parametric study on dynamic behavior of rectangular concrete storage tanks. Coupled Systems Mechanics, 6(2), pp. 189–206. doi:10.12989/csm.2017.6.2.189.
- Fu, F. (2016). 3D finite element analysis of the whole-building behavior of tall building in fire. Advances in Computational Design, 1(4), pp. 329–344. doi:10.12989/acd.2016.1.4.329.
- Yang, Y., Wang, Y., Fu, F. and Liu, J. (2015). Static behavior of T-shaped concrete-filled steel tubular columns subjected to concentric and eccentric compressive loads. Thin-Walled Structures, 95, pp. 374–388. doi:10.1016/j.tws.2015.07.009.
- Yang, Y.F., Zhang, Z.C. and Fu, F. (2015). Experimental and numerical study on square RACFST members under lateral impact loading. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 111, pp. 43–56. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.04.004.
- Guo, L., Gao, S. and Fu, F. (2015). Structural performance of semi-rigid composite frame under column loss. Engineering Structures, 95, pp. 112–116.
- Yang, Y., Wang, Y. and Fu, F. (2014). Effect of reinforcement stiffeners on square concrete-filled steel tubular columns subjected to axial compressive load. Thin-Walled Structures, 82, pp. 132–144. doi:10.1016/j.tws.2014.04.009.
- Qu, H., Huo, J., Xu, C. and Fu, F. (2014). Numerical studies on dynamic behavior of tubular T-joint subjected to impact loading. International Journal of Impact Engineering, 67, pp. 12–26. doi:10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2014.01.002.
- Guo, L., Gao, S., Fu, F. and Wang, Y. (2013). Experimental study and numerical analysis of progressive collapse resistance of composite frames. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 89, pp. 236–251. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.07.006.
- Fu, F. (2013). Dynamic response and robustness of tall buildings under blast loading. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 80, pp. 299–307. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.10.001.
- Fu, F. (2012). Response of a multi-storey steel composite building with concentric bracing under consecutive column removal scenarios. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 70, pp. 115–126. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2011.10.012.
- Fu, F. (2010). 3-D nonlinear dynamic progressive collapse analysis of multi-storey steel composite frame buildings - Parametric study. Engineering Structures, 32(12), pp. 3974–3980. doi:10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.09.008.
- Fu, F., Lam, D. and Ye, J. (2010). Moment resistance and rotation capacity of semi-rigid composite connections with precast hollowcore slabs. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 66(3), pp. 452–461. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.10.016.
- Fu, F. (2009). The structural behaviour of composite connections with steel beams and precast hollow core slabs. Advanced Steel Construction, 5(1), pp. 96–105. doi:10.18057/IJASC.2009.5.1.6.
- Fu, F., Lam, D. and Ye, J. (2008). Modelling semi-rigid composite joints with precast hollowcore slabs in hogging moment region. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 64(12), pp. 1408–1419. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.01.012.
- Lam, D., Ye, J. and Fu, F. (2007). Analytical model of semi-rigid composite joints with steel beams and precast hollowcore slabs. Structural Engineering Research Frontiers. doi:10.1061/40944(249)65.
- Fu, F., Lam, D. and Ye, J. (2007). Parametric study of semi-rigid composite connections with 3-D finite element approach. Engineering Structures, 29(6), pp. 888–898. doi:10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.07.003.
- Fu, F. and Lam, D. (2006). Experimental study on semi-rigid composite joints with steel beams and precast hollowcore slabs. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 62(8), pp. 771–782. doi:10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.11.013.
- Fu, F. (2006). Non-linear static analysis and design of Tensegrity domes. Steel and Composite Structures, 6(5), pp. 417–433. doi:10.12989/scs.2006.6.5.417.
- Wang, L., Qian, K., Fu, F. and Deng, X. Experimental Study on Seismic Behaviour of RC Frames with Different Infilled Masonry. Magazine of Concrete Research.
- Aesthetics and Design of Space Structures, For ICE Publishing, Book reviewer, Oct – Nov 2018.
- Proceedings of institutions of Civil Engineers, structures and buildings, Editorial board member, Nov 2017 – present.
- The 2016 World Congress, 28 Aug 2016, Jeju Korea, Mini Symposium organizer and Chair, Aug – Sep 2016.
- International Journal of Advances in Computational Design, Editorial Board member, Jun 2015 – present.
- 1st International Conference on Seismic Design of Structures and Foundations, Technical Advisory Panel.
- 2nd International conference on Structural Safety Under Fire & Blast 2017, International Advisory Committee.
1. Journal of Structural Engineering (ASCE)
2. Journal of Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities (ASCE)
3. Journal of Cold Regions Engineering (ASCE)
4. Engineering structure (Elsevier)
5. Thin-Walled Structures (Elsevier)
6. Journal of Constructional Steel research (Elsevier)
7. Journal of Building Engineering (Elsevier)
8. Journal of Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory (Elsevier)
9. Materials & Design (Elsevier)
10. Scientia Iranica, International journal of science and Technology (Elsevier)
11. Construction and Building Materials (Elsevier)
12. Case Studies in Construction Materials (Elsevier)
13. Structure (Elsevier)
14. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics (Wiley)
15. The structural design of Tall and Special Buildings (Wiley)
16. Asian Journal of Civil Engineering (Springer)
17. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering (Springer),
18. International Journal of Steel Structures (Springer)
19. Earthquakes and Structures, An International Journal (Techno-Press)
20. International Journal of steel and composite structures (Techno-Press)
21. Advances in Computational design (Techno-Press)
22. Journal of Structural Engineering and Mechanics (Techno-Press)
23. Journal of Engineering Mathematics (Springer)
24. Asian Journal of Civil Engineering (Springer), Referee.
25. Iranian Journal of Science and Technology Transactions of Civil Engineering (Springer)
26. Journal of Zhejiang University-SCIENCE A (Springer)
27. Proceedings of the ICE - Structures and Buildings (ICE Publishing)
28. Maritime Engineering Journal (ICE Publishing)
29. Structure and Infrastructure Engineering (Taylor & Francis)
30. Journal of advances in structural Engineering (Multi-Science)
31. Advances in Mechanical Engineering (SAGE)
32. Journal of Advances in Civil Engineering (Hindawi Publishing Co)
33. Materials (MDPI AG)
34.Structure and Infrastructure Engineering,( Taylor & Francis)
35. ACI Structural & Material Journal (ACI)
36. Composite structure (Elsevier), Referee.
- Book Reviewer, ICE Publishing,2014.
- Book Reviewer,Elsevier Science & Technology, 2011.
- Current research in building under extreme loading conditions. IIT Madras (2018).
- STRATEGIES TO DESIGN TALL BUILDINGS FOR FIRE SAFETY. Charted Institute of Architectural Technologists (2018).
- FIRE SAFETY DESIGN FOR TALL BUILDINGS. Headquarter of Institution of Structural Engineers (2018).
- System Reliability Analysis of tall and complex structures under extreme loading conditions using machine learning and Monte Carlo Simulation. Jilin Jianzhu University (2017).
- Structural Analysis and Design of structures under extreme loading conditions. Headquarter of Institution of Structural Engineers (2017).
- Modelling Complex Structures in Modern Construction Projects. Imperial College (2016). With the fast development of modern construction technology, increasing complex buildings were built in the past decades. It is widely recognized by most of the engineers that, without using advanced modelling techniques, most of these buildings would not have been designed. It also requires structural engineers to have the ability to handle the increasing difficulty in designing more complicated projects required by both clients and architects. This requires the capacity of an engineer to use modern software packages and understand related analysis theories. In this evening talk, the most popular software used in the current design practice such as ANSYS, ABAQUS, SAP2000, ETABS will be introduced and how to choose between them will also be discussed. The way to set up complex model and relevant theory underpin the analysis will also be illustrated. Different modelling examples such as tall buildings, long span structures as well as blast analysis, buckling analysis, earthquake analysis will be demonstrated.
- Behaviour of Tall buildings under fire loading. Astana, Kazakhstan (2016). Workshop on Resilient Structures and Infrastructure
- Current design and research on structure under extreme loading. Jilin Jianzhu University,Changchun, Jilin (2015).
- Current design and research on tall buildings in U.K. Dalian Institute of Technology (2014).
- The current development of tall building design in the global design market and progressive collapse analysis of tall building. Hunan University, China (2012).
- Research on disproportionate collapse of tall buildings. Harbin Institute of Technology, Heilongjiang, China (2012).
- "Una burilla o un mòbil poden causar un incendi com el de la torre Grenfell". Interviewed by Newspaper ARA, Spain, regarding fire safety design and the causes of the fire in Grenfell Tower
- How did the fire spread so quickly in Genfell Tower. Radio Interview,Voice of Islam - Drive Time Show