Dr Edward Paleit
- Dr Edward Paleit
- +44 (0)20 7040 3375
I run the BA English programme at City, University of London, which I joined from the University of Exeter in September 2017. I currently teach the second-year core module 'Shakespeare' and am also involved in undergraduate recruitment and routes to graduate employability.
My research concentrates on early modern literature and political culture, with particular interest in the transmission and reception of classical and non-English writings. My first book, War Liberty, and Caesar (Oxford, 2013), treated English responses to the Roman poet Lucan between c.1580 and 1650; my second, due to be completed in 2018, discusses the political imagination of Christopher Marlowe, the late Elizabethan poet-dramatist. It is based on an AHRC early career fellowship, 'The International Christopher Marlowe', which I held at Exeter between 2014 and 2016, and which sought to bring Marlowe's works into conversation with the political thought of late sixteenth-century Europe.
I also write on early modern poets such as Andrew Marvell or Lucy Hutchinson.
Although (now) a career academic, I have an earlier professional life as an equity analyst and fund manager in the City of London. I play in and manage cricket teams for my local cricket club, Woodford Green.
- PhD, Birkbeck, University of London, United Kingdom, 2008
- MA Renaissance Studies, Birkbeck, University of London, United Kingdom, 2003
- BA Classics and English, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, 1992 – 1995
- BA English Programme Director, City, University of London, Sep 2017 – present
- Programme Director, BA English, City, University of London, Sep 2017 – present
French (can read, speak and understand spoken), German (can read, write, speak and understand spoken), Italian (can read) and Latin (can read and speak).
- Paleit, E. (2013). War, Liberty, and Caesar Responses to Lucan's Bellum Ciuile, Ca. 1580 - 1650. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-960298-8.
- Paleit, E. (2019). Marvell's Classical Similitudes. In Dzelzainis, M. and Holberton, E. (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Andrew Marvell Oxford (et al.): Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-873640-0.
- Paleit, E. (2018). An Incident in the History of English Book Burning. In Chiari, S. (Ed.), Freedom and Censorship in Early Modern Literature (pp. 21–36). Routledge. ISBN 978-1-138-36653-4.
- Paleit, E. (2014). Women's Poetry and Classical Authors: Lucy Hutchinson and the Classicisation of Scripture. Early Modern Women and the Poem (pp. 21–41). Manchester: Manchester University Press. ISBN 978-0-7190-9072-1.
- Paleit, E. (2016). The Folly of the Machiavel: Marlowe's Mortimer and the Guise. Le Centre d’Études Supérieures de la Renaissance (Université François-Rabelais de Tours, CNRS/UMR 7323).
- Paleit, E. (2011). The 'caesarist' reader and lucan's bellum ciuile, CA. 1590 to 1610. Review of English Studies, 62(254), pp. 212–240. doi:10.1093/res/hgq088.
- Paleit, E. (2008). Sexual and political liberty and neo-Latin poetics: The Heroides of Mark Alexander Boyd. Renaissance Studies, 22(3), pp. 351–367. doi:10.1111/j.1477-4658.2008.00510.x.