Dr Dympna O'Sullivan
- Dr Dympna O'Sullivan
- +44 (0)20 7040 8436
Dympna O'Sullivan obtained a PhD in Computer Science in 2006 and a BSc in Computer Science in 2002, both from University College Dublin, Ireland. Following that she spent 18 months working as a post-doctoral fellow in Health Informatics at The University of Ottawa, Canada. She joined City University London as a Senior Lecturer in Health Informatics in 2012 after working as a Lecturer in Computer Science at Aston University since 2008.
Dympna's research is in the area of health informatics, clinical decision support systems and evidence-based medicine. In particular she is interested in managing the large volumes of data generated by today's digital healthcare environments and in developing intelligent software systems to bridge the gaps between clinician's information needs and the computational resources available to meet them. It involves the application of intelligent systems techniques including artificial intelligence, machine learning, information retrieval and ontological engineering. In addition, she is interested in knowledge management methodologies to address the problem of organizational knowledge-loss by using intelligence systems to capture and reuse knowledge from clinical tasks.
She is a member of the MET (Mobile Emergency Triage) Research Group which is directed from the University of Ottawa, Canada, and has active research collaborations with Aston University in the UK, the Centre for Affective Solutions for Ambient Living Awareness and University College Dublin in Ireland, Poznan University of Technology in Poland, and the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and Adventium Labs in the USA. She is a level 3 member (highest level) of the UK Council of Health Informatics Professionals, an Educational Affiliate member of the British Computer Society and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Dympna's research is in the area of health informatics, clinical decision support systems (CDSS) and evidence-based medicine.
Retrieving online biomedical literature
The online biomedical literature is vast with approximately 30,000 articles published annually. Furthermore many current repositories are characterised by poor indexing and querying methodologies. As a result clinicians often find it very difficult to easily retrieve information relevant for a particular presentation and patient, especially at the point of care where such information is likely to be most useful. I am interested in resolving some such issues by developing ontology-based information retrieval methodologies that can retrieve and emphasize presentation and patient specific aspects of clinical evidence rather than only aspects relating to the specified disease. I am also interested in developing methodologies for accurately ranking and presenting relevant aspects of clinical evidence for improved discrimination at the point of care.
Biomedical data mining
I am interested in developing applications for clinical decision support that utilize data mining techniques to support clinicians. Support is provided either by presenting exemplar patient cases for comparative purposes or by calculating a diagnostic predication given a current patient state. I have performed work in this area using medical imagery (using case-based reasoning to compute similar patient cases) and paediatric asthma (a classification system that employed machine leaning techniques) as sample domains.
Acceptance of clinical decision support systems among clinicians
Much research investigates acceptance of clinical decision support systems among clinicians where the focus is on the perceived usability of such systems. However, in spite of many CDSS being rated as highly usable, uptake of CDSSs among clinicians in practice is relatively low. My research in this areas focuses on other factors aside from usability that may impact the adoption of CDSSs. In particular I believe that an important role is played by clinicians' intrinsic motivation to such systems. Initial studies involving a cohort of medical doctors, and quantified using the Intrinsic Motivation Inventory, indicates that motivation to use computer-based support in general plays an important role and thus impacts the adoption of specific systems such as CDSS.
Automation of clinical practice guidelines
Clinical practice guidelines (CPG) primarily exist in non-digitized formats, either as long text-based documents summarizing relevant clinical evidence or as summarized 'flowcharts' outlining diagnoses, differential diagnoses and recommended interventions. As a result it is often difficult to directly link CPG to clinical practice. I am interested in integrating CPG with clinical workflow by developing methodologies for automating and implementing CPG. CPG attribute and values pairs, diagnoses and recommended interventions, are encoded as sets of rules and/or constraints which are executed in real-time on collected clinical data. This research allows for the practice of evidence-based medicine as well as provides improved methodologies for clinical data entry and clinical data accuracy.
- SMART (Self-monitoring, Ability-Reactive Technology) for people with low vision in association with the Aston Optometry Clinic.
- Football Data Center, Knowledge Transfer Partnership in association with Scout 7, Birmingham UK.
Thesis title: Domain Driven Data Mining approach to treatment planning in medicine
Thesis title: SMART (Self-monitoring, Ability-Reactive Technology) for people with low vision
Mohammad Anass Alsallakh
Thesis title: Disease-related care pathway variance and its importance in the evaluation of care pathways
- Wilson, D.C. and O'Sullivan, D. (2008). Medical Imagery in Case-Based Reasoning. In Perner, P. (Ed.), Case-Based Reasoning on Images and Signals (pp. 389–418). Springer. ISBN 978-3-540-73178-8.
- Lumsden, J, , Hakobyan, L., Leung, R. and O'Sullivan, D. Inclusive Participatory Design: Involving Users with Disabilities in the Design of Assistive Technologies. Encyclopedia of Computer Science and Technology Taylor and Francis.
- Wilk, S., O'Sullivan, D., Kezadri-Hamiaz, M., Kuziemsky, C., Rosu, D., Michalowski, W. … Fung-Kee-Fung, M. (2016). Aligning interdisciplinary healthcare team behavior with workflow execution: An example of a radical prostatectomy workflow.
- Hakobyan, L., Lumsden, J., Shaw, R. and O'Sullivan, D. (2016). A longitudinal evaluation of the acceptability and impact of a diet diary app for older adults with age-related macular degeneration.
- Bussone, A., Stumpf, S. and O'Sullivan, D. (2015). The role of explanations on trust and reliance in clinical decision support systems.
- Nakawala, H., Weller, P. and O'Sullivan, D. (2014). Development of a Needle Insertion Manipulator using Lego Mindstorms. Medical Informatics Europe 31 Aug 2014 – 3 Sep 2014, Istanbul.
- Fraccaro, P., Coyle, L., Doyle, J. and O'Sullivan, D. (2014). Real-world Gyroscope-based Gait Event Detection and Gait Feature Extraction. Proceedings of eTELEMED, The Sixth International Conference on eHealth, Telemedicine, and Social Medicine 24-27 March, Barcelona.
- Plastiras, P., O'Sullivan, D. and Weller, P. (2014). An Ontology-Driven Information Model for Interoperability of Personal and Electronic Health Records. Proceedings of eTELEMED, The Sixth International Conference on eHealth, Telemedicine, and Social Medicine 24-27 March, Barcelona.
- O'Sullivan, D., Michalowski, M., Michalowski, W., Wilk, S. and Farion, K. (2010). Representing clinical documents to support automatic retrieval of evidence from the Cochrane Library. IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine Workshops 18 Dec 2013, Hong Kong.
- Hakobyan, L., Lumsden, J. and O'Sullivan, D. (2013). Designing a Mobile Assistive Application with and for Older Adults with AMD: A Case Study. BCS-HCI '13 9-13 September, London.
- O'Sullivan, D., Wilk, S., Michalowski, W. and Farion, K. (2013). Using PICO to Align Medical Evidence with MDs Decision Making Models. MedInfo, 14th World Congress on Medical and Health Informatics 19 Aug 2013 – 23 Nov 2013, Copenhagen.
- Hakobyan, L., Lumsden, J. and O'Sullivan, D. (2013). PICTIVE Participatory Design Process with Older Adults with AMD. Irish HCI' 13 12-13 June, Dundalk, Ireland.
- Michalowski, M., O'Sullivan, D., Michalowski, W. and Wilk, S. (2013). Papers from the 2013 HIAI Workshop, Expanding the Boundaries of Health Informatics Using Artificial Intelligence.
- O'SULLIVAN, D., Wilk, S., Michalowski, Wojtek, , Slowinski,Roman, , Thomas, Roland, and Farion, Ken, (2012). Discovering the Preferences of Physicians with Regards to Rank-ordered Medical Documents. (14th International Conference on Information Processing and Management of Uncertainty in Knowledge-Based Systems Catania, Italy.
- Hakobyan, Lilit, , Lumsden, Jo, , O'SULLIVAN, D. and Bartlett, Hannah, (2012). Understanding the IT-Related Attitudes and Needs of Persons with Age-Related Macular Degeneration: A Case Study. 26th Annual BCS HCI Conference Birmingham, UK.
- O'SULLIVAN, D., Doyle, Julie, , Michalowski, Wojtek, , Wilk, Szymon, , Farion, Ken, and Kuziemsky, Craig, (2011). Assessing the Motivation of MDs to use Computer-based Support at the Point-of-Care in the
Emergency Department. Proceedings of AMIA 2011 (American Medical Informatics Association) Annual Symposium, Biomedical and Health Informatics: Improving Health: Informatics and IT Changing the World Washington DC.
- O'SULLIVAN, D., Michalowksi, Wojtek, , Slowinski, Roman, , Thomas, Roland, , Wilk, Szymon, and Farion, Ken, (2011). Deriving a Value Function to Model Physicians’ Preferences with regard to the Presentation of
Rank-ordered Medical Documents. INFORMS Healthcare Montreal, Canada.
- O'Sullivan, D., Michalowski, W., Michalowski, M., Wilk, S. and Farion, K. (2010). Representing clinical documents to support automatic retrieval of evidence from the Cochrane Library.
- O'SULLIVAN, D., Wilk, Szymon, , Farion, Ken, and Michalowski, Wojtek, (2010). Retrieving Context-Specific
Evidence to Support Decision Making at the Point of Care. BCS Health Informatics Congress Birmingham, UK.
- Michalowski, Wojtek, , Wilk, Szymon, , Sayyad-Shirabad,Jelber, , Kuziemsky, Craig, , O'SULLIVAN, D., Farion, Ken, … Michalowski, Martin, (2009). Modelling Clinical Practice Guidelines using Predicate Logic for Reasoning with Incomplete Patient Data. 20th International Conference on Multiple Criteria Decision Making Chengdu/Jiuzhaigou, China.
- Kuziemsky, C., O'Sullivan, D., Michalowski, W., Wilk, S. and Farion, K. (2008). A constraint satisfaction approach to data-driven implementation of clinical practice guidelines. United States.
- Wilk, S., Michalowski, W., O'Sullivan, D., Farion, K. and Matwin, S. (2008). Engineering of a clinical decision support framework for the point of care use. United States.
- O'Sullivan, D., Farion, K., Matwin, S., Michalowski, W. and Wilk, S. (2007). A Concept-Based Framework for Retrieving Evidence to Support Emergency Physician Decision Making at the Point of Care.
- O'Sullivan, D., Wilson, D.C., Bertolotto, M. and McLoughlin, E. (2007). Task-Based Image Annotation and Retrieval.
- Elazmeh, W., O'Sullivan, D., Wilk, S., Farion, K., Matwin, S., Michalowski, W. … Sehatkar, M. (2007). Using Secondary Knowledge to Support Decision Tree Classification of Retrospective Clinical Data.
- Elazmeh, W., Matwin, S., O'Sullivan, D., Michalowski, W. and Farion, K. (2007). Insights from predicting pediatric asthma exacerbations from retrospective clinical data.
- Wilson, D.C., McLoughlin, E., O'Sullivan, D. and Bertolotto, M. (2006). Contextual Media Integration and Recommendation for Mobile Medical Diagnosis. 4th International Conference on Adaptive Hypermedia and Adaptive Web-Based Systems.
- McLoughlin, E., O'Sullivan, D., Bertolotto, M. and Wilson, D.C. (2006). MEDIC: MobilE Diagnosis for Improved Care.
- Wilson, D., O'Sullivan, D., McLoughlin, E. and Bertolotto, M. (2006). Case-based decision support for intelligent patient knowledge management.
- O'SULLIVAN, D., McLoughlin, Eoin, , Bertolotto, Michela, and Wilson, David, (2006). Case-Based Mobile Decision Support. CBR in the Health Sciences Fethiye, Turkey.
- O'SULLIVAN, D., McLoughlin, Eoin, , Bertolotto, Michela, and Wilson, David, (2006). Mobile Case-Based Decision Support for Intelligent Patient Knowledge Management. 11th International Symposium on Health Information Management Research Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- O'Sullivan, D., McLoughlin, E., Bertolotto, M. and Wilson, D.C. (2005). Context-Oriented Image Retrieval.
- O'Sullivan, D., McLoughlin, E., Bertolotto, M. and Wilson, D.C. (2005). Capturing and Reusing Case-Based Context for Image Retrieval.
- O'Sullivan, D., McLoughlin, E., Bertolotto, M. and Wilson, D.C. (2004). Adaptive Presentation and Navigation for Geospatial Imagery Tasks.
- McLoughlin, E., O'Sullivan, D., Bertolotto, M. and Wilson, D.C. (2004). A Knowledge Management System for Intelligent Retrieval of Geo-Spatial Imagery.
- O'Sullivan, D., McLoughlin, E., Bertolotto, M. and Wilson, D.C. (2004). A Case-Based Approach to Managing Geo-spatial Imagery Tasks.
- O'SULLIVAN, D. and McLoughlin, Eoin, (2004). A Case-Based Approach to Managing and Retrieving
Geospatial Imagery Tasks. 2nd European Starting AI Researcher Symposium Valencia, Spain..
- Wilson, D.C., Bertolotto, M., McLoughlin, E. and O'Sullivan, D. (2003). Knowledge Capture and Reuse for Geo-spatial Imagery Tasks.
- O'Sullivan, D., McLoughlin, E., Bertolotto, M. and Wilson, D.C. (2003). Capturing task knowledge for geo-spatial imagery.
- McLoughlin, Eoin, , O'SULLIVAN, D., Bertolotto, Michela, and Wilson, David, (2003). A User-Friendly System for Knowledge Capture and Reuse of Geo-Spatial Images. 11th Annual Conference of GIS Research UK London, UL.
- Plastiras, P. and O’Sullivan, D.M. (2017). Combining Ontologies and Open Standards to Derive a Middle Layer Information Model for Interoperability of Personal and Electronic Health Records. Journal of Medical Systems, 41(12). doi:10.1007/s10916-017-0838-9.
- O'Sullivan, D., Wilk, S., Kuziemsky, C., Michalowski, W., Farion, K. and Kukawka, B. (2016). Is There a Consensus when Physicians Evaluate the Relevance of Retrieved Systematic Reviews? METHODS OF INFORMATION IN MEDICINE, 55(3), pp. 292–298. doi:10.3414/ME15-01-0131.
- Fraccaro, P., Nicolo, M., Bonetto, M., Giacomini, M., Weller, P., Traverso, C.E. … Osullivan, D. (2015). Combining macula clinical signs and patient characteristics for age-related macular degeneration diagnosis: A machine learning approach Retina. BMC Ophthalmology, 15(1). doi:10.1186/1471-2415-15-10.
- Fraccaro, P., O'Sullivan, D., Plastiras, P., O'Sullivan, H., Dentone, C., Di Biagio, A. … Weller, P. (2015). Behind the screens: Clinical decision support methodologies - A review. Health Policy and Technology, 4(1), pp. 29–38. doi:10.1016/j.hlpt.2014.10.001.
- O'Sullivan, D., Fraccaro, P., Carson, E. and Weller, P. (2014). Decision time for clinical decision support systems. Clinical Medicine, Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of London, 14(4), pp. 338–341. doi:10.7861/clinmedicine.14-4-338.
- Hakobyan, L., Lumsden, J. and O'Sullivan, D. (2014). Older adults with AMD as co-designers of an assistive mobile application. International Journal of Mobile Human Computer Interaction, 6(1), pp. 54–70. doi:10.4018/ijmhci.2014010104.
- O Sullivan, D., Wilk, S., Michalowski, W., Slowinski, R., Thomas, R., Kadzinski, M. … Farion, K. (2014). Learning the preferences of physicians for the organization of result lists of medical evidence articles. Methods of Information in Medicine, 53(5), pp. 344–356. doi:10.3414/ME13-01-0085.
- O'Sullivan, D., Doyle, J., Michalowski, W., Wilk, S., Thomas, R. and Farion, K. (2014). Expanding usability analysis with intrinsic motivation concepts to learn about CDSS adoption: A case study. Health Policy and Technology, 3(2), pp. 113–125. doi:10.1016/j.hlpt.2014.02.001.
- Farion, K., Wilk, S., Michalowski, W., O'Sullivan, D. and Sayyad-Shirabad, J. (2013). Comparing predictions made by a prediction model, clinical score, and physicians: Pediatric asthma exacerbations in the emergency department. Applied Clinical Informatics, 4(3), pp. 376–391. doi:10.4338/ACI-2013-04-RA-0029.
- Hakobyan, Lilit, , Lumsden, Jo, , O'SULLIVAN, D. and Bartlett, Hannah, (2013). Moblie assistive technologies for people with low vision. Survey of Ophthalmology, 58(6), pp. 513–528. doi:10.1016/j.survophthal.2012.10.004.
- Wilk, Szymon, , Michalowski, Wojtek, , O'SULLIVAN, D., Farion, Ken, , Shirabad, Jelber-Sayyad, , Kuziemsky, Craig, … Kukawka, Bartosz, (2013). A Task-based Support Architecture for Developing Point-of-Care Clinical Decision Support Systems for the Emergency Department. Methods of Information in Medicine: journal of methodology in medical research, information and documentation, 52(1), pp. 18–32. doi:10.3414/ME11-01-0099.
- O'Sullivan, D., Wilson, D.C. and Bertolotto, M. (2011). Task-based annotation and retrieval for image information management. Multimedia Tools and Applications, 54(2), pp. 473–497. doi:10.1007/s11042-010-0548-5.
- Farion, K., Michalowski, W., Wilk, S., O'Sullivan, D. and Matwin, S. (2010). A tree-based decision model to support prediction of the severity of asthma exacerbations in children. J Med Syst, 34(4), pp. 551–562. doi:10.1007/s10916-009-9268-7.
- O'Sullivan, D., Wilk, S., Michalowski, W. and Farion, K. (2010). Automatic indexing and retrieval of encounter-specific evidence for point-of-care support. Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 43, pp. 623–631. doi:10.1016/j.jbi.2010.03.003.
- Farion, K., Michalowski, W., Wilk, S., O'Sullivan, D., Rubin, S. and Weiss, D. (2009). Clinical decision support system for point of care use--ontology-driven design and software implementation. Methods Inf Med, 48(4), pp. 381–390. doi:10.3414/ME0574.
- O'Sullivan, D., McLoughlin, E., Bertolotto, M. and Wilson, D.C. (2007). Mobile case-based decision support for intelligent patient knowledge management. Health Informatics J, 13(3), pp. 179–193. doi:10.1177/1460458207079839.
- Bertolotto, M., Carswell, J.D., McLoughlin, E., O'Sullivan, D. and Wilson, D.C. (2006). Using sketches and knowledge bases for geo-spatial image retrieval. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 30, pp. 29–53. doi:10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2004.03.001.