Dr David Corney
- Dr David Corney
- +44 (0)20 7040 5060
I'm a research scientist with a strong interest in natural and aritifical intelligence. After my PhD in machine learning, I've worked in several areas including visual neuroscience, computational linguistics, image processing, botanical taxonomy and most recently, online social networks and journalism. In each case, I have helped to develop robust solutions to complex, data-centred problems.
1998-2002 PhD Computer Science at University College, London. Thesis: "Intelligent Analysis of Small Data Sets for Food Design"
1997-1998 MSc Computational Intelligence (with Distinction) at Plymouth University.
1991-1994 BSc (Hons.) Cognitive Science, Class 2 (ii) from Exeter University.
April 2012-present Senior Research Fellow, Robert Gordon University & Honorary Research Fellow, City University London
July 2009-March 2012 Research Fellow, Department of Computing, University of Surrey.
March 2008-2011 Part-time visiting lecturer at the University of Hertfordshire.
July 2006-2009 Research fellow, Institute of Ophthalmology, UCL.
February 2004 - February 2006 Part-time tutor / teaching assistant for the Open and Distance Learning Unit of Queen Mary, University of London.
November 2001 - July 2006 Senior Research Fellow at University College, London, Department of Computer Science.
I am currently part of the SocialSensor consortium (FP7), researching how to find and make good use of user-generated input from online social networks. I'm part of a team researching how to find interesting news stories from the huge streams of information available through Twitter, Reddit, Facebook and other online social networks. We're collaborating with journalists from the Department of Journalism and with universities and industrial partners across Europe to produce useful, real-time software. I'm based jointly at Robert Gordon University (Senior RF) and the City University London (Honorary RF).
- Corney, D., Byrne, E., Buxton, B. and Jones, D. (2008). A Logical Framework for Template Creation and Information Extraction. In Lin, T.Y., Xie, Y., Wasilewska, A. and Liau, C.-.J. (Eds.), Data Mining: Foundations and Practice (pp. 79–108). Springer. ISBN 978-3-540-78487-6.
- Corney, D., Martin, C., Göker, A., Spyromitros-Xioufis, E., Papadopoulos, S., Kompatsiaris, Y. … Thomee, B. (2013). SocialSensor: Finding Diverse Images at MediaEval 2013.
- Schifferes, S., Newman, N., Thurman, N., Corney, D., Göker, A. and Martin, C. (2013). Identifying and verifying news through social media: Developing a user-centred tool for professional journalists.
- Diplaris, S., Petkos, G., Papadopoulos, S., Kompatsiaris, Y., Sarris, N., Martin, C. … Point, J. (2012). SocialSensor: Surfacing Real-Time Trends and Insights from Multiple Social Networks.
- Byrne, E.L., Corney, D.P.A. and Lotto, B. (2011). An Ecology-based Approach to Perceptual Modelling.
- Corney, D. (2002). Designing food with Bayesian belief networks. 5 Sep 2008.
- Corney, D. and Parmee, I.C. (1999). N-Dimensional Surface Mapping Using Genetic Programming.
- Aiello, L.M., Petkos, G., Martin, C., Corney, D., Papadopoulos, S., Skraba, R. … Jaimes, A. (2013). Sensing trending topics in twitter. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, 15(6), pp. 1268–1282. doi:10.1109/TMM.2013.2265080.
- Martin, C. and Corney, D.G. (2013). Finding newsworthy topics on Twitter. IEEE Computer Society Special Technical Community on Social Networking E-Letter, 1(3).
- Corney, D.P.A., Tang, H.L., Clark, J.Y., Hu, Y. and Jin, J. (2012). Automating digital leaf measurement: The tooth, the whole tooth, and nothing but the tooth. PLoS ONE, 7(8). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0042112.
- Clark, J.Y., Corney, D.P.A. and Tang, H.L. (2012). Automated plant identification using artificial neural networks. 2012 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Computational Biology, CIBCB 2012 pp. 343–348. doi:10.1109/CIBCB.2012.6217250.
- Cope, J.S., Corney, D., Clark, J.Y., Remagnino, P. and Wilkin, P. (2012). Plant species identification using digital morphometrics: A review. Expert Systems with Applications, 39(8), pp. 7562–7573. doi:10.1016/j.eswa.2012.01.073.
- Corney, D.P.A., Clark, J.Y., Lilian Tang, H. and Wilkin, P. (2012). Automatic extraction of leaf characters from herbarium specimens. Taxon, 61(1), pp. 231–244.
- Lotto, R.B., Clarke, R., Corney, D. and Purves, D. (2011). Seeing in colour. Optics and Laser Technology, 43(2), pp. 261–269. doi:10.1016/j.optlastec.2010.02.006.
- Corney, D., Haynes, J.D., Rees, G. and Lotto, R.B. (2009). The brightness of colour. PLoS ONE, 4(3). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0005091.
- Corney, D. and Lotto, R.B. (2007). What Are Lightness Illusions and Why Do We See Them? PLoS Computational Biology, 3. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.0030180.
- Corney, D.P.A., Buxton, B.F., Langdon, W.B. and Jones, D.T. (2004). BioRAT: Extracting biological information from full-length papers. Bioinformatics, 20(17), pp. 3206–3213. doi:10.1093/bioinformatics/bth386.
- Corney, D. (2002). Food bytes: intelligent systems in the food industry. British Food Journal, 104(10). doi:10.1108/00070700210448890.