Professor David Collins
- Professor David Collins
- +44 (0)20 7040 3215
Professor and Director of the LLM Programme, David Collins teaches and researches in the field of international economic law specializing in the law of the World Trade Organization and international investment law. Previously, David practiced commercial litigation in Toronto, Canada and was a prosecutor for the Attorney General of Ontario.
David's research focus is on the interdisciplinary dimension of international economic law, incorporating perspectives from economics, business and science. His research has attracted funding from the British Academy, the UK Society of Legal Scholars, the Foundation for Canadian Studies in the UK and the UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council. He was awarded the 2014 Gillis Wetter Memorial Prize in international arbitration by the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA).
David's expertise has been sought by organizations including the UK Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, the World Bank, the UN Conference on Trade and Development, the Commonwealth Secretariat and the International Bar Association. He is on the Editorial Board of the Manchester Journal of International Economic Law and is a member of the International Committee of the Law Society of England and Wales where he is Chair of the Law Society's Trade Policy Working Group. He is also on the LCIA's database of neutral arbitrators and mediators. David is the author of The BRIC States and Outward Foreign Direct Investment (Oxford University Press, 2013), The World Trade Organization Beginner's Guide (Oneworld Books, 2015), Performance Requirements and Investment Incentives under International Economic Law (Edward Elgar, 2015) and An Introduction to International Investment Law (Cambridge University Press, 2016).
David has been a Visiting Fellow at Georgetown University (the Institute of International Economic Law), the World Trade Institute of the University of Berne, Columbia University (Center on Sustainable Investment), Maastricht University (Institute for Globalisation and International Regulation), the University of Sydney, the University of Hong Kong (Asian Institute of International Financial Law), the University of Oslo (PluriCourts Centre) and the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law. David is a Visiting Professor at Esade Law School (Barcelona) and has taught at the Pericles Law Center (Moscow) and the University of Vilnius.
In addition to his writing, teaching and consulting, David is the Director and co-founder of Start-Ed, a commercial student law clinic focusing on London's Tech City. Start-Ed has won prizes and grants from the UK Intellectual Property Office, PraxisUnico, the Legal Education Foundation, the Higher Education Academy and City University London's Vice Chancellor's Award for engagement with business and enterprise.
Many of David's publications can be found on his SSRN page.
BA Hon (Toronto), JD (Toronto), MSc (Oxford), BCL (Oxford), PhD (Maastricht)
Barrister and Solicitor, Ontario, Canada; Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales; Attorney and Counselor at Law, New York, USA
LLM Programme Director
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (UK)
- Chijioke Chijioke-Oforji
- Thesis Title
- Sovereign Wealth Funds and Network Governance
- Dogan Gultutan
- Thesis Title
- Moral Damages in International Investment Arbitration
- Mariem Ben Slimane
- Thesis Title
- Arab countries in the World Trade Organization: an emerging Arab presence within the WTOs decision-making and dispute-settlement process?
- Further Information
- Web page
- Collins, D.A. (2016). An Introduction to International Investment Law. Cambridge University Press.
- Collins, D.A. (2015). Performance Requirements and Investment Incentives in International Economic Law. Edward Elgar.
- Collins, D.A. (2015). The World Trade Organization: A Beginner's Guide. Oneworld.
- Collins, D.A. (2013). The BRIC States and Outward Foreign Direct Investment. Oxford University Press.
- Collins, D.A. (2014). National Treatment in Emerging Market Investment Treaties. In Kamperman Sanders, A. (Ed.), The Principle of National Treatment in International Economic Law Edward Elgar.
- Collins, D.A. (2011). A case study of coverage issues: Canada's sub-central coverage under the agreement on government procurement. In Arrowsmith, S. and Anderson, R.D. (Eds.), The WTO Regime on Government Procurement: Challenge and Reform (pp. 175–196). Cambridge: Cambridge Univ Pr ISBN 978-1-107-00664-5.
- Collins, D.A., Klotz, E. and Robinson, B. (2016). Start-Ed: A Model for Commercial Clinical Legal Education. International Journal of Clinical Legal Education, 23(5), pp. 80–106.
- Collins, D.A. (2016). Government Procurement with Strings Attached? The Uneven Control of Offsets by the World Trade Organization and Regional Trade Agreements. Asian Journal of International Law .
- Collins, D.A. (2016). Loss Aversion Bias or Fear of Missing Out: A Behavioural Economics Analysis of Compensation in Investor-State Dispute Settlement. Journal of International Dispute Settlement . doi:10.1093/jnlids/idw024.
- Collins, D.A. (2016). The Line of Equilibrium: Improving Investment Arbitration through the Application of the WTO General Exceptions. Arbitration International, 32(4), pp. 575–587. doi:10.1093/arbint/aiw031.
- Collins, D.A. (2016). Globalized Localism: Canada's Government Procurement Commitments under CETA. Journal of Transnational Dispute Management, 2016(2) .
- Collins, D.A. and Thomas, P. (2016). Measuring Gross Disproportion in Environmental Precaution to Establish Regulatory Expropriation and Quantum of Compensation in International Investment Arbitration. European Journal of Law and Economics, 41(3), pp. 621–639. doi:10.1007/s10657-014-9433-4.
- Collins, D. (2015). Towards a Grand Unified Theory of International Economic Law. Manchester Journal of International Economic Law, 12(2), pp. 140–166.
- Collins, D.A. (2014). The Chaos Machine: The WTO in a Social Entropy Model of The World Trading System. Oxford Journal of Legal Studies, 34(2), pp. 353–374.
- Collins, D.A. (2013). ICSID Annulment Committee Appointments: Too Much Discretion to the Chairman? Journal of International Arbitration, 30(4), pp. 333–344.
- Collins, D.A. (2012). Sustainable International Investment Law After the Pax Americana: The BOOT on the Other Foot. The Journal of World Investment & Trade, 13(3), pp. 325–348. doi:10.1163/221190012X637754.
- Collins, D.A. (2012). Alternative Dispute Settlement for Stakeholders in International Investment Law. Journal of International Economic Law, 15(2), pp. 673–700.
- Collins, D.A. (2011). Applying the Full Protection and Security Standard of International Investment Law to Digital Assets. Journal of World Investment and Trade, 12(2), pp. 225–244.
- Collins, D.A. (2010). A New Role for the WTO in International Investment Law: Public Interest in the Post Neoliberal Period. Connecticut Journal of International Law, 25(1), pp. 1–35.
- Collins, D.A. (2010). Environmental Impact Statements and Public Participation in International Investment Law. Manchester Journal of International Economic Law, 7(2), pp. 4–23.
- Collins, D.A. (2010). Settlement Agreements, Legal Information and the Mistake of Law Rule in Contract. Northern Ireland Legal Quarterly, 61(1), pp. 1–16.
- Collins, D.A. (2009). Health Protection at the World Trade Organization - The J-Value as a Universal Standard for Reasonableness of Regulatory Precautions. Journal of World Trade, 43(5), pp. 1071–1091.
- Collins, D.A. (2009). Efficient Breach, Reliance and Contract Remedies at the WTO. Journal of World Trade, 43(2), pp. 225–244.
- Collins, D.A. (2009). Canada's Prohibition of Automated Bank Machine Withdrawal Charges as a Violation of the WTO GATS. Manchester Journal of International Economic Law, 4(3), p. 43.
- Collins, D.A. (2009). Reliance Remedies at the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes. Northwestern Journal of International Law and Business, 29(1), pp. 195–216.
- Collins, D.A. (2008). Efficient Allocation of Property Rights on the Planet Mars. Boston University Journal of Science and Technology Law, 14(2), pp. 201–219.
- Collins, D.A. (2008). Canada's Sub-Central Coverage Under the WTO Agreement on Government Procurement. Public Procurement Law Review, 17(1), pp. 21–35.
- Collins, D.A. (2008). Compulsory Arbitration Agreements in Domestic and International Consumer Contracts. King's Law Journal, 19(2), pp. 335–356.
- Collins, D.A. (2006). Institutionalized Fact Finding at the WTO. University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Economic Law, 27, pp. 367–387.
- Collins, D.A. (2006). Fair Trade City Subsidization and WTO Agreement Violation. Manchester Journal of International Economic Law, 3(2), pp. 67–81.
- Collins, D.A. (2005). Public Funding of Class Actions and the Experience with English Group Proceedings. Manitoba Law Journal, 31, pp. 211–238.
- Collins, D.A. (2002). Spies Like Them: The Canadian Security Intelligence Service and Its Place in World Intelligence. The Sydney Law Review, 24, pp. 505–528.
- Collins, D.A. (2002). Age of the Living Dead: Personality Rights of Deceased Celebrities. Alberta Law Review, 39, pp. 914–933.
- Collins, D.A. (2016). Book Review: Proportionality and Deference in Investor-State Arbitration by Caroline Henckels.
- Collins, D. (2015). Book Review: Oxford Handbook of Behavioral Economics and the Law by A Zamir and D Teichman eds.
- Collins, D. (2015). Review of 2015 ICSID Decisions.
- Collins, D.A. (2014). Book Review: Doing Business in the BRICS by R Nath ed.
- Collins, D. (2014). Review of 2014 ICSID Decisions.
- Collins, D.A. (2013). Review of 2013 ICSID Decisions.
- Collins, D.A. (2013). Book Review: Development at the WTO by Sonia E Rolland.
- Collins, D.A. (2012). Review of 2012 ICSID Decisions.
- Collins, D.A. (2012). Book Review: World Trade Law After Neoliberalism by Andrew Lang.
- Collins, D.A. (2012). Book Review: The Public International Law Regime Governing International Investment by Jose Alvarez.
- Collins, D.A. (2011). Review of 2011 ICSID Decisions.
- Collins, D.A. (2011). Book Review: Foreign Direct Investments from Emerging Markets by K Sauvant ed.
- Collins, D.A. (2011). Book Review: The Effect of Treaties on Foreign Direct Investment by K Sauvant and L Sachs eds.
- Collins, D.A. (2010). Review of 2010 ICSID Decisions.
- Collins, D.A. (2010). Book Review: Socially Responsible Investment Law: Regulating the Unseen Polluters by Benjamin Richardson.
- Collins, D.A. (2010). Book Review: State Responsibility in Investment Treaty Arbitration: Global Constitutional and Administrative Law in the BIT Generation by Santiago Montt.
- Collins, D.A. (2010). Book Review: Economics of the Law: A Primer by Wolfgang Weigel.
- Collins, D.A. (2010). Book Review: International Economic Law, Second Edition by Andreas Lowenfeld.
- Collins, D.A. (2009). Review of 2009 ICSID Decisions.
- Collins, D.A. (2009). Book Review: Principles of International Investment Law by Rudolf Dolzer and Christoph Schreuer.
- Collins, D.A. (2009). Book Review: Constitutionalizing Economic Globalization: Investment Rules and Democracy’s Promise by David Schneiderman.
- Collins, D.A. (2009). Book Review: International Economic Law: The State and Future of the Discipline by C Picker, I Bunn, D Arner eds.
- Collins, D. (2009). Book Review: Boilerplate: The Foundation of Market Contracts by O Ben-Shahar ed.
- Collins, D.A. (2008). Review of 2008 ICSID Decisions.
- Collins, D.A. (2008). Book Review: International Economic Law and the Digital Divide: A New Silk Road? by Rohan Kariyawasam.
- Collins, D.A. (2008). Book Review: The World Trade Organization: Law, Economics and Politics by Bernard M Hoekman and Petros C Mavroidis.
- Collins, D.A. (2008). Book Review: Human Rights and the WTO. The Case of Patents and Access to Medicines by Holger P Hestermeyer.
- Collins, D.A. (2008). Book Review: Financial Stability, Economic Growth and the Role of Law by Douglas W Arner.
- Collins, D.A. (2007). Book Review, Cultural Products and the World Trade Organization by Tania Voon.
- Collins, D.A. (2006). Review of 2006 ICSID Decisions.
- Collins, D.A. (2006). Recent Developments in Tobacco Class Action Litigation from the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
- Board of Editors, Manchester Journal of International Law.
- BBC Business Live. BBC International BBC Business Live commentary on the negotiation of the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) between the EU and Canada.
- CNN News. CNN International Discussed legal implication of the Hosni Mubarak trial in Egypt.
- Member, International Issues Committee of the Law Society of England and Wales, April 2009 - present